News:

In my heart I knew that rotten testicles and inflamed penises were on the way.

Main Menu

ERIS IS DEAD!

Started by Scribbly, May 12, 2006, 09:48:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LMNO

Well said, Cain.

Also, I was thinking, since you're the Eris history buff, why don't we sprinkle the few references to Eris from the Greek & Roman texts throughout PD06?

I was also thinking about revealing the second half of the law of fives, but have decided against it, following Enrico's theory of the Sacred Bull.

LHX

where the fuck is hoopla anyway?

he came back and then didnt
neat hell

Cain

I'll start a thread on the Ancient Greek perception of Eris.  I'm going to write, and may be gone awhile...

[/Captain Oates]

LMNO

His work stricty monitors his Net use.

Then he got fired, and i dunno if he has the intrawebs at home.

East Coast Hustle

Quote from: Kai WrenI think the main problem I have is that jaded implies cynical, unaccepting- part of the charm of Discordianism is that it is, theoretically, pretty damn accepting of anything, that is the entire point.

Shake off your bonds of jaded-ness, friends.

1) if you're not cynical, you're not paying close enough attention.

2) even the most cynical of us are pretty damn accepting of everyone. If you really think about it (even go back and look through old threads), with very few exceptions, everyone we've run out of this place really WAS a fucking moron. Or unwilling/unable to back up things they said that they were challenged on. I won't speak for anyone else, but I don't give a fuck WHAT you believe, as long as you have taken the time to understand WHY you believe it and can give a halfway intelligent response when I ask about it. It's BLIND faith that pisses me off.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

East Coast Hustle

Quote from: WolfpoetSeesm to me, this place doesn't give a shit about my philosophy anymore.

I'm a noob to Discordianism and you guys have manged to turn me off allot, it's only Kai-Wren's stubborness and reading the PD that keeps me in this.

bolded to reveal the real problem here.

dude, no one's telling you that you have to think like we do or believe what any of us believe. that's the beauty of the philosophy, it doesn't require dogma or adherence. But just as you are free to disagree with us, we are free to disagree with you. If that  "turns you off" to discordianism, then maybe you don't REALLY understand what you think you understand.

these discussions over the past week or two aren't about imposing our beliefs on anyone, they're about the best way to hook people that might have the potential to have their minds opened. and they're just that. Discussions. If you disagree and want to write your own flyers and make your own posters and try to bring people into it in your own way, you're not only free to do that, but encouraged. Who cares about the means as long as the ends are achieved? If your way works better on the people you can expose this to, then by all means, do things whatever way  you see fit.

damn.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Wolfpoet

You see that's the thing. Folks tend to be so ngeative and flame-like around here that it appears like you are telling me waht to do and think.

Bad idea to put someone in a siege mentality.

I understand that folks can and in some ways should disagree with me. maybe it's because I'm English and used to folks being a bit more polite in debates.
It's not so much that we fear the Wolf that howls outside, we fear the Wolf that howls within our soul.

Paladin, Iman, Rabbi and Fa Shih of the Erisian revival.

There are 3 sides to any conflict, winners, losers and arms dealers. Eris does a damn good deal at competitive prices.

LHX

i hate politeness

but
i got love for people

politeness seem like just another thing to trip over

an obstacle in communication

just dont doubt the love
not even for a second
neat hell

Wolfpoet

I'm an old-fashioned Englishman. Kinda grew up around politeness, Dad was a sergeant and got trained at an early age regarding manners.

Perhaps that's one of the perception-things I need to let go of, maybe not.

I like to think it's betetr to be reasoned, polite and calm when deabting, harder for the other guy to shout you down when you respond politelry.

Works much better in person than on the net i guess.

I think the lesson for me to carry from this is to grow a thicker skin.
It's not so much that we fear the Wolf that howls outside, we fear the Wolf that howls within our soul.

There are 3 sides to any conflict, winners, losers and arms dealers. Eris does a damn good deal at competitive prices.

LMNO

Quote from: WolfpoetYou see that's the thing. Folks tend to be so ngeative and flame-like around here that it appears like you are telling me waht to do and think.

I understand that folks can and in some ways should disagree with me. maybe it's because I'm English and used to folks being a bit more polite in debates.

There's a fundamental assumption I've found:

You're here.  That counts for a lot.  You're articulate.  More points to you.  You're stubborn.  Big ups.

So, before we even get to your ideas, you're already halfway there.  We may not post respectfully, but you should see what what we're capable of.

LMNO

Also, no one here was shouting.

You'd know it if we were.

There might be 5 people simutaneously criticizing you, but hey, that's how we do.

As far as I know, no one called you an asshat, a fucktard, or asked if you caught a nasty case of Down's Syndrome.

See?  Respectful!

I guess we've gotten to the point where we see Eris' joke as a particularly dark one.

Cain

Quote from: WolfpoetYou see that's the thing. Folks tend to be so ngeative and flame-like around here that it appears like you are telling me waht to do and think.

Its possible.  Not being from an English family, I have very little of the traditional hangups that exist.  I was considered a monster at the debating society at University, even by the standards of the outgoing Americans.  I blame it on my criminal genes.

Wolfpoet

Kinda funny when I think about it.

me and Kai-Wren are always slagginge ach other off, do it with my other mates.

Guess I didn't realise you'd actualy taken to me and what i saw as flaming was just your way of doing things.

LMNO

Flaming = Purified by fire.

LMNO
-Ripping off LHX's schtick.

Cain

I am the Sacred Flame of Tajikistan, I remind you.  Fire = my schtick.