News:

Remember, its all a sociological experiment.  "You are doing exactly as I planned. My god you are all so predictable."  Repeat until you believe it.

Main Menu

ERIS IS DEAD!

Started by Scribbly, May 12, 2006, 09:48:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LMNO

Cain

This universe, which is the same for all, has not been made by any god or man, but it always has been is, and will be -- an ever-living fire, kindling itself by regular measures and going out by regular measures.

Heraclitus style pwnage.

B_M_W

Quote from: CainThis universe, which is the same for all, has not been made by any god or man, but it always has been is, and will be -- an ever-living fire, kindling itself by regular measures and going out by regular measures.

Heraclitus style pwnage.

:mittens:
One by one, we break the sheep from their Iron Bar Prisons and expand their imaginations, make them think for themselves. In turn, they break more from their prisons. Eventually, critical mass is reached. Our key word: Resolve. Evangelize with compassion and determination. And realize that there will be few in the beginning. We are hand picking our successors. They are the future of Discordianism. Let us guide our future with intelligence.

--Reverse Brainwashing: A Guide http://www.principiadiscordia.com/forum/index.php?topic=9801.0

6.5 billion Buddhas walking around.

99.xxxxxxx% forgot they are Buddha.

Scribbly

Quoteno, no, no, NO.

if we want to have any chance at being effective and reaching people, we have to be a social and cultural movement. Injecting ANY religious frame of reference weakens our credibility and potential reach.

This and the following posts was the view that had me worried- this seemed to state, to me anyway, pretty explicitly- Eris = Not Welcome In PD '06

But... as I already said, a large part of the problem to me was the idea I'd picked up that what people are writing for is going to be called the Principia Discordia '06, if it isn't going to be called that, no reason to mention Eris so much.

As I also also stated- Politics is important as well but I believe there is a danger in getting labelled as just another activist group or the like, that would turn away a lot of my generation over here- politics = insta-snooze for the majority.

As I said in the original post- no problem updating the PD at all, but I feel that doing it completely without Erisian mention would be, well, stupid. However, I've been set clear on this point- this isn't even really to update the PD, it is to create something entirely new, simply with the themes of the PD.

And in finishing... ancient greek Eris mentions and the like in the text would be pretty cool.
I had an existential crisis and all I got was this stupid gender.

Cain

I got a post full of them up in Principia Discussion.  Just remember, Ancient Eris is a war goddess, though I dig her more than modern Eris for that reason.

Scribbly

Ka-BUMP!

Well, it is semi-relevant.
I had an existential crisis and all I got was this stupid gender.

Thurnez Isa

Quote from: Kai Wren on May 12, 2006, 09:48:36 PM
ll, we are moving away from the central tenants of Discordianism and plunging headlong into a fully political movement?

Since when was Discordianism all about the politics? Sure, that is in there, but it certainly sounds like we are taking a small part of Discordianism and blowing it out of all proportion,

Politics have become a major factor of idenity of our age. No longer do people look at political movements as a question of principle or a question of performance
its become something all together different
something all together darker...
in our search for idenity people have come to see politics as a mirror of themselves
something to define themselves
its maybe only natural that the little religion known as discordia gets tangled in this
the new definition of a religion may no longer be what it questions, gives or takes
but what the parameters of its social reponisbilities, or lack of

well theres my 2 and half cents
Through me the way to the city of woe, Through me the way to everlasting pain, Through me the way among the lost.
Justice moved my maker on high.
Divine power made me, Wisdom supreme, and Primal love.
Before me nothing was but things eternal, and eternal I endure.
Abandon all hope, you who enter here.

Dante

Jasper

Quote from: Cain on May 13, 2006, 01:50:12 PM
I got a post full of them up in Principia Discussion.  Just remember, Ancient Eris is a war goddess, though I dig her more than modern Eris for that reason.

Ancient Erisianism for the fucking win.

Who wants to be the prophet of Deimos and Phobos?

Thurnez Isa

http://www.theoi.com/Daimon/Eris.html

got some nifty pics of the goddess Eris

"[Eris] is hateful ... [she is the one] who builds up evil war, and slaughter. She is harsh; no man loves her, but under compulsion and by will of the immortals, men promote this rough Eris (Strife)." - Hesiod, Works and Days 11

"But the sons of men fought on, and slew; and Eris  gloating watched." - Quintus Smyrnaeus, Fall of Troy 9.324

"It was never true that there was only one Eris. There have always been two on earth. There is one you could like when you understand her. The other is hateful. The two Erites have separate natures. There is one Eris who builds up evil war, and slaughter. She is harsh; no man loves her, but under compulsion and by will of the immortals, men promote this rough Eris (Strife). But the other one was born the elder daughter of black Nyx. The son of Kronos, who sits on high and dwells in the bright air set her in the roots of the earth and among men; she is far kinder. She pushes the shiftless man to work, for all his laziness. ." - Hesiod, Works and Days 11

heres my favorite  :-) - though its roman not greek

"Here [at the porch and entrance to Hades] dwells ... lunatic Discordia [Eris] whose viperine hair is caught up with a headband soaked in blood." - Virgil, Aeneid 6.280
Virgil rules  :-)
Through me the way to the city of woe, Through me the way to everlasting pain, Through me the way among the lost.

Dante

LMNO

Quote from: Thurnez Isa on October 18, 2006, 10:51:27 PM
http://www.theoi.com/Daimon/Eris.html]
"Here [at the porch and entrance to Hades] dwells ... lunatic Discordia [Eris] whose viperine hair is caught up with a headband soaked in blood." - Virgil, Aeneid 6.280

Sounds like my last party...

Thurnez Isa

This is cool (well if your a geek like me you'd find it cool)
I had stuffed away on my book shelf virgils aeneid 6 in the orginal latin
I dont know latin but according to the numbers this is the quote in the orginal latin
"...ferreique Eumenidum thalami et Discordia demens vipereum crinem vittis innexa cruentis." Virgil 6 280  :evil:

Dante

B_M_W

Enyo in the Great Frease of the Pergammon Altar.
One by one, we break the sheep from their Iron Bar Prisons and expand their imaginations, make them think for themselves. In turn, they break more from their prisons. Eventually, critical mass is reached. Our key word: Resolve. Evangelize with compassion and determination. And realize that there will be few in the beginning. We are hand picking our successors. They are the future of Discordianism. Let us guide our future with intelligence.

--Reverse Brainwashing: A Guide http://www.principiadiscordia.com/forum/index.php?topic=9801.0

6.5 billion Buddhas walking around.

99.xxxxxxx% forgot they are Buddha.

lovernotafighter

Surely if people want to update eris, or the PD then that is up to them? If you don't agree with their version, do your own! No one can have monopoly on an idea. The more rival or 'complementary' interperatations and adaptations the better.

The Good Reverend Roger

Bump for hilarious Wolfpoet whining.

I wonder what ever happened to that guy?
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Nephew Twiddleton

Wolf hypnotized him and ate him.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS