News:

i mean, pardon my english but this, the life i'm living is ww1 trench warfare.

Main Menu

Discourse 6: The War for your soul...

Started by Trollax, March 31, 2003, 05:51:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

East Coast Hustle

Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

LMNO

I think that some of us posted in support of the OP (cram and mangrove especially), and then the thread drifted into general snark and bitchery.  I didn't see it as a direct attack against him.  Then again, I became one of the bitchy snarkers, so maybe I'm deluding myself.

East Coast Hustle

*shrug*

Perhaps I'm just placing too much importance on opening our doors to the rest of the world. I'm willing to consider that possibility. But the idea of PD.com catching on outside of the Anglosphere is an exciting idea to me.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Fuck You One-Eye on December 14, 2011, 08:50:32 PM
I missed the part where Khore was being obnoxious.

All I saw was the part where he posted an essay in Spanish, attempted to translate it into English, and was promptly torn apart for not following the party line with no consideration given whatsoever for the language barrier.

I think things went south when he started talking about eating the fnords.  But things never really went all that far south... there was some fairly gentle ribbing, which he seemed to be handling pretty well. And my comments in this thread aren't even about him.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"Torn apart" seems like a really extreme description of what actually happened.

Dude presents a somewhat inflated image of his own special shaman-like uniqueness, Roger started funning on him, and a couple of other people found it humorous. That's tearing someone apart? Maybe you might want to read that thread again. It's funny, and not at all mean. I should hope the kid has the brains to see that it's humor even if his English skills are imperfect.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

East Coast Hustle

Quote from: Fuck You One-Eye on December 14, 2011, 08:59:38 PM
*shrug*

Perhaps I'm just placing too much importance on opening our doors to the rest of the world. I'm willing to consider that possibility. But the idea of PD.com catching on outside of the Anglosphere is an exciting idea to me.

Triple Zero

*shrug*

Indeed, it's so refreshing to communicate with others than just us Americans! :)

And on topic: I don't think we need to immediately jump on a n00b for quoting some bit from the PD. That's the book this site is based on, after all, it's a bit of a strange "gotcha!" to taboo it like that. This is exactly what the 50 post suggestion is for. If it turns out they don't do anything but nonsense, no one disagrees, but just one line?
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Triple Zero on December 14, 2011, 09:24:59 PM
*shrug*

Indeed, it's so refreshing to communicate with others than just us Americans! :)

And on topic: I don't think we need to immediately jump on a n00b for quoting some bit from the PD. That's the book this site is based on, after all, it's a bit of a strange "gotcha!" to taboo it like that. This is exactly what the 50 post suggestion is for. If it turns out they don't do anything but nonsense, no one disagrees, but just one line?

Nobody jumped on the n00b.

Many people engaged with him positively.

Roger started riffing on him in a way that was, actually, pretty hilarious.

N00b doesn't seem too nonplussed by it.

For some reason ECH freaks out on how we're "tearing apart" the n00b.

WTF.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Also, I do believe it was the "if you don't know what a fnord is, shut up" comment that led to the funny. Which was very funny, and well-earned.

Roly Poly Oly-Garch

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on December 14, 2011, 06:43:02 PM
Everywhere is the wrong venue for that kind of thing.  But it happens, like it or not.

I've had the bright idea, from time to time, of dropping it as a cautionary tale. It's never failed to miss the mark.
Back to the fecal matter in the pool