News:

Endorsement:  I know that all of you fucking discordians are just a bunch of haters who seem to do anything you can to distance yourself from fucking anarchists which is just fine and dandy sit in your house on your computer and type inane shite all day until your fingers fall off.

Main Menu

Discordians Anonymous

Started by Cainad (dec.), October 01, 2009, 03:20:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cainad (dec.)

My name is Cainad... and I'm a Discordian.

I don't really know how I got wrapped up in all of this. There was a time when I was just another bored kid, a bored Army brat to be precise, who would read anything for an intellectual kick. Fiction, occult literature, pseudo-occult literature that's dumbed down for typical teenagers and other soft-headed types, and eventually the nigh infinite supply of jokes and weird crap known as the Internet.

When all your friends are "new friends" and you know they'll be gone in a few years at most, you start to get desperate, you know? Without the craziness of hanging out with buddies to satisfy your need for novelty and excitement, you look to other sources... and I found them. Internet humor sites, mainly, but somewhere deep in the underbelly of the Weird, I found something different. Something called Discordianism.

"A joke disguised as a religion, or a religion disguised as a joke" was the soundbite description I got. "Perfect!" I thought. I'm not religious, and the guys who wrote this silly holy book, the Principia Discordia, seem to have a sense of humor that parallels mine, so why not mess around by pretending to be a Discordian?

Here's the thing, though: pretending to be a Discordian and actually being a Discordian are not all that different. Some would probably tell you that there's no difference there at all. That's how it draws you in, see. First you think that you're just part of a ridiculous joke, and then you get so into the joke it seems real, but then it's a joke again, and then Reality is the joke and you forget where the hell you were going with this nonsense in the first place.

Once I found that there were active Discordian communities online, I started hanging out with them. Swapped a few jokes and ideas, listened more than I spoke (or rather, read more than I wrote), and the rest, as they say, is the future.

Captain Utopia

Ha! I like it.

Quote from: Cainad on October 01, 2009, 03:20:59 AM
Here's the thing, though: pretending to be a Discordian and actually being a Discordian are not all that different. Some would probably tell you that there's no difference there at all. That's how it draws you in, see. First you think that you're just part of a ridiculous joke, and then you get so into the joke it seems real, but then it's a joke again, and then Reality is the joke and you forget where the hell you were going with this nonsense in the first place.
The only thing I'd add to this is that PD (I haven't spent much/any time on any other Discordian sites) kind of ruins you, as when you inevitably venture back to old internet haunts or find new ones, you see with a new clarity the ways in which almost everyone is stuck in the web of their own ideologies and they don't even notice the spiders slip slip slipping them the pills. But then you look for your own webs and you don't see them. Although you know that, logically, there's a very high chance that they're there.

So for a while it's slightly less creepy to hang out with the people who know we're all caught in webs we can't see, than the people who are entirely oblivious of it all. Because as you say, that reality becomes the new joke and that's how we deal.

Discordianism - there's a pill for thattm.

Cainad (dec.)

Thanks for the comments! :) Also,

Quote from: fictionpuss on October 01, 2009, 03:53:14 AM
Discordianism - there's a pill for thattm.

:lulz: :mittens:

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

LMNO

I think this needs a "rock bottom" experience... Like, in AA, when you wake up realizing you just drank a bottle of mouthwash to get drunk, and then fucked your dog.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

This part is my favorite, especially the bolded line.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Richter

:mittens:

You should podcast this standing at a cheap podium in the classroom of an older college building.
Quote from: Eater of Clowns on May 22, 2015, 03:00:53 AM
Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

Friendly Neighborhood Mentat

Cainad (dec.)

Quote from: LMNO on October 01, 2009, 01:42:51 PM
I think this needs a "rock bottom" experience... Like, in AA, when you wake up realizing you just drank a bottle of mouthwash to get drunk, and then fucked your dog.

I tried to think of one, but my imagination failed me in that department. :sad: I think I need to go have a few real "oh god where am I and what happened" experiences.

Quote from: Nigel on October 01, 2009, 03:50:54 PM

This part is my favorite, especially the bolded line.

Thanks. :) It came to me as I was writing it, and I think it's the most interesting part too. Because really, where does "pretending to follow a goofball pseudoreligion" end, and "actually following a goofball pseudoreligion" begin? I'm still not sure where I fall in this distinction.

Quote from: Richter on October 01, 2009, 05:18:39 PM
You should podcast this standing at a cheap podium in the classroom of an older college building.

Hah! That would be perfect!

President Television

Ignore Richter, you should shout it from your rooftop with a megaphone. Then shout it from the street corner. Then at the local baptist church, while it is in service.
My shit list: Stephen Harper, anarchists that complain about taxes instead of institutionalized torture, those people walking, anyone who lets a single aspect of themselves define their entire personality, salesmen that don't smoke pipes, Fredericton New Brunswick, bigots, philosophy majors, my nemesis, pirates that don't do anything, criminals without class, sociopaths, narcissists, furries, juggalos, foes.

Wondering Monk

NotPublished

This is a nicely written thread and rings very true.
In Soviet Russia, sins died for Jesus.

Herbertina Merrique V

I thought this topic was about creating a Discordian version of Anonymous, and proceeded to stare at the wall in indescribable horror for half an hour.

:mittens:
THE MORALE WILL CONTINUE UNTIL DISCORDIANS IMPROVE

Ask me anything. Or else.

Wondering Monk

Quote from: Herbertina Merrique V on December 22, 2009, 02:08:33 AM
I thought this topic was about creating a Discordian version of Anonymous, and proceeded to stare at the wall in indescribable horror for half an hour.

:lulz:

Cramulus

there was a chaoschan, or /fnord/ as it was sometimes called. Not much to speak about though.

Ratssinis

Hello everyone, my name is Ratssinis.

I think I first realized I was a discordian was when I started making stencils of ridiculous things and planning to use them to deface public property. Up until that point I'd considered myself a Armchair Anarchist and a bit of a spiritual wanderer. Never having the nerve to do anything, and never finding a home that fit my outlook on the unknowable. I'd sunk to the deep end of the Web, I trolled pedophiles during the day and mspainted penises onto celebrity pictures at night. It was a nerve racking cycle and I knew it had to end.

So to take my mind off of it I decided I'd try trolling Wikipedia.... Needless to say I one day came to a page that I couldn't explain, it was as if a thousand minds cried out in a pain then got back to whatever they were doing before that. I followed the links and found many amusing stories and jokes, and asked myself "What is this? Is it really a religion built on the bases that everything is chaos?" No one replied because I was talking to myself and since I'm not schizophrenic or something there was no other voices in my head. So I delved further into this and found write something to replace this and it'll be great.