News:

PD.com: We have 73 Virgins!

Main Menu

Black Mirror

Started by Faust, December 13, 2011, 10:51:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

minuspace

I've been simmering around with the various episodes and currently think the first is best.  Not just because it is the most memorable, for obvious reasons, but because of how sinister the whole plot actually is w.r.t. Reflection in black magic initiatory rites.  I don't know much on the subject, but it seems the whole "circus act" is a commentary both on the economy of power in politics and the ritual sacrifice sometimes required for admission into shady "brotherhoods" and such.  Just sharing par-baked thoughts?

Faust

Knowing Charlie Brooker, I sincerely doubt there were any references to rituals in this, in fact he would probably curb stomp you for suggesting so.

I also Disagree with your assertion that the first episode is the most memorable. Sure it had a guy fucking a pig, but episode two for me had far more memorable and horrible scenes.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

bds

I LOVED Black Mirror. Question though -- did anyone see Network? I felt like the second episode, while fantastic, was kinda just a futuristic retelling of that.

Cain

Quote from: Faust on March 07, 2012, 08:31:51 AM
Knowing Charlie Brooker, I sincerely doubt there were any references to rituals in this, in fact he would probably curb stomp you for suggesting so.

I also Disagree with your assertion that the first episode is the most memorable. Sure it had a guy fucking a pig, but episode two for me had far more memorable and horrible scenes.

Charlie Brooker did devote an entire article to the premise that David Cameron is a lizard. But I would tend to agree.

If there is an element of sacrifice in the episode (I cannot say, for I have not seen) it is more likely it has to do with the literal tens of thousands of dead bodies our political leaders have managed to help happen, quite publically, in recent memory.

I mean, you could very easily claim that 100,000 dead Iraqis were sacrificed to the 2004 election of George W Bush, and Tony Blair's vanity.

Faust

Quote from: Cain on March 07, 2012, 09:23:07 AM

Charlie Brooker did devote an entire article to the premise that David Cameron is a lizard. But I would tend to agree.

If there is an element of sacrifice in the episode (I cannot say, for I have not seen) it is more likely it has to do with the literal tens of thousands of dead bodies our political leaders have managed to help happen, quite publically, in recent memory.

I mean, you could very easily claim that 100,000 dead Iraqis were sacrificed to the 2004 election of George W Bush, and Tony Blair's vanity.
That and the great machine needs its gears to be greased to function, and blood is cheaper than oil.

minuspace

I sincerely doubt the redundancy of "stomp"in your assertion if what you had in mind did not entail someone's reputation, reflected in whatever "black" correspondence you fail to see.

Faust

minuspace

I was watching this documentary that made a point of how black magic focuses on manipulation and black mail and I thought the first episode was in correspondence with that trope?