Previous topic - Next topic

Cardinal Pizza Deliverance.

Oh. Damn, misread that. *rereads the article :P*

That is a good question.
Weevil-Infested Badfun Wrongsex Referee From The 9th Earth
Slick and Deranged Wombat of Manhood Questioning
Hulking Dormouse of Lust and DESPAIR™
Gatling Geyser of Rainbow AIDS

"The only way we can ever change anything is to look in the mirror and find no enemy." - Akala  'Find No Enemy'.

"The only way we can ever change anything is to look in the mirror and find no enemy." - Akala  'Find No Enemy'.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I looked it up and apparently it's an uninhabited region. Crazy.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Freeky

Quote from: :regret: on December 21, 2013, 12:37:40 PM
It seems to be a baby Khorne worshipping spider. A species of spider that decorates his home with the corpses of his victims.

At least it isn't a Nergle worshipper.

That would be a crazy adventure to go on. Uninhabited lands. Finding strange new structures. Tearing them apart and putting them under glass. Wacky.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Nigel's Red Velveteen Skinmeat Snacks on December 22, 2013, 06:15:00 PM
One thing that's baffling me is, are there simply no natives there for the researchers to ask?

Nope.  All dead, from teensy spider bites.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on December 22, 2013, 09:56:19 PM
Quote from: Nigel's Red Velveteen Skinmeat Snacks on December 22, 2013, 06:15:00 PM
One thing that's baffling me is, are there simply no natives there for the researchers to ask?

:lulz:

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on December 22, 2013, 09:56:19 PM

:lulz:
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Cardinal Pizza Deliverance. on December 22, 2013, 06:59:15 PM
That would be a crazy adventure to go on. Uninhabited lands. Finding strange new structures. Tearing them apart and putting them under glass. Wacky.

One of the interesting thing about Peru and much of Central and South America is that it was once pretty densely populated. It's just thick with ruins.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Nigel's Red Velveteen Skinmeat Snacks on December 22, 2013, 10:07:49 PM

One of the interesting thing about Peru and much of Central and South America is that it was once pretty densely populated. It's just thick with ruins.

I know Mexico and Guatemala had huge populations.  I was never sure if South America had huge populations, or just a very, very long history of building & burying.  Thing is, Peru is about perfect for ruins to be preserved in (bodies, too, due to altitude and temperature).

But now that I'm actually thinking about it, some of those ruins would require a HUGE population base, on the order of, say, ancient Egypt, just to keep the logistics train running to build them (farming, foresting, etc), let alone have a functional society alongside the construction.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on December 22, 2013, 10:15:22 PM
Quote from: Nigel's Red Velveteen Skinmeat Snacks on December 22, 2013, 10:07:49 PM

I know Mexico and Guatemala had huge populations.  I was never sure if South America had huge populations, or just a very, very long history of building & burying.  Thing is, Peru is about perfect for ruins to be preserved in (bodies, too, due to altitude and temperature).

But now that I'm actually thinking about it, some of those ruins would require a HUGE population base, on the order of, say, ancient Egypt, just to keep the logistics train running to build them (farming, foresting, etc), let alone have a functional society alongside the construction.

Yeah, they're realizing now that there were more ruins there than they ever thought, it's just that the rapid and lush vegetation growth, and the moisture, concealed them well and quickly. http://travel.nationalgeographic.com/travel/peru/machu-picchu/inca-ruins-photos/

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Nigel's Red Velveteen Skinmeat Snacks on December 22, 2013, 11:19:23 PM

Yeah, they're realizing now that there were more ruins there than they ever thought, it's just that the rapid and lush vegetation growth, and the moisture, concealed them well and quickly. http://travel.nationalgeographic.com/travel/peru/machu-picchu/inca-ruins-photos/

Yeah, they just found another huge city (in the Yucatan, IIRC) via ground penetrating radar.

So obviously, they're going to be looking elsewhere.  Peru is an obvious choice.  So is the Middle East and the Gobi.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

The ones at the link are mostly in Peru, where it isn't all that moist or lush, but the basic idea seems to be that it was that heavily populated all over the place, but most of the ruins aren't as visible as they are in Peru because of jungle growth.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on December 22, 2013, 11:23:45 PM
Quote from: Nigel's Red Velveteen Skinmeat Snacks on December 22, 2013, 11:19:23 PM

Yeah, they just found another huge city (in the Yucatan, IIRC) via ground penetrating radar.

So obviously, they're going to be looking elsewhere.  Peru is an obvious choice.  So is the Middle East and the Gobi.

That's neat! I should look that up.