News:

Testimonial - Well it seems that most of you "discordians" are little more than dupes of the Cathedral/NWO memetic apparatus after all -- "freethinkers" in the sense that you are willing to think slightly outside the designated boxes of correct thought, but not free in the sense that you reject the existence of the boxes and seek their destruction.

Main Menu

messing around with music and software mixers

Started by Triple Zero, January 21, 2008, 10:27:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Triple Zero

so yesterday i spent the whole day together with a friend playing with a piece of software called Ableton Live. it's a kind of DJing / mixing tool like Traktor, but able to do much, much more so it's more like a live producing / mixing / live performance / sampling / recording tool.

in fact, i haven't quite worked out how to easily live mix two tracks into eachother, like in Traktor. but i did work out how to use the "arrangement" view in order to mix, loop and cut two tracks into eachother, like i would do in traktor, but much more accurate cause you don't need to do it in realtime:

adult - hand to phone ==> daft punk - human afterall

it's one of the transitions i practiced a lot from a previous mixset i did with traktor. i'm probably gonna expand it until it covers the entire set, so i can render it to mp3 without any accidental mistakes.

anyway this is just a first try, what i can do with it so far..

next up is: seeing if i can use it for realtime mixing (otherwise i'll use traktor again, i gotta have a fresh set ready before march 5th), making some mashups, and the big project: together with my friend, he'll play live guitar riffs (slayer, among other things), that ableton will record, loop and get mixed with drumnbass beats in order to create a live chemical/dnb/breaks performance ..
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Cain

I tried Ableton, the limited version that came with the NIN Remix album.  To be honest, I wasn't totally sure of what I was doing, though it sounded very good.  I'd let you listen, only it doesn't allow me to export files.

Xooxe

I don't know either tune so I don't hear exactly what you did but it sounds tight anyway.   8)

I think I had a tweak around with Ableton Live 4.0 a few years back but never really got anywhere.

The Littlest Ubermensch

[witticism/philosophical insight/nifty quote to prove my intelligence to the forum]

LISTEN TO MY SHOW THURSDAY 5-7 EST

THEN GO TO MY MYSPACE

Triple Zero

i've been working on it some more tonight, this is the current version:

http://mihd.net/1anlx3

it's got 6 tracks so far but i'm working the mix backwards, which is not really the best way of going about it :)

it now starts with the soundtrack to the oldskool amiga demo "state of the art", which is oldskool rave.

(also, the first 10 secs are silent, just so you don't think it's broken or anything)
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

Triple Zero

my latest mashup, "song to the temponaut":

http://mihd.net/g7ledf

i'm rather happy with this mix, it really rocks and i'm sure it'll make the dancefloor go crazy next month.

it starts with Chemical Brothers - Song to the Siren, but splices in the guitarsolo from Eat Static - Temponaut to break up the repetitive part of song to the siren, before finally mixing over into the Bucketheads - These Sounds fall into my Mind