News:

PD.com - you don't even believe in nihilism anymore

Main Menu

Year of the Rat #9: Assburgers for EVERYBODY!

Started by The Good Reverend Roger, June 16, 2008, 02:21:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Good Reverend Roger

" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Jenne

Quote from: Rabid Badger of God on June 16, 2008, 04:06:53 AM
Quote from: Jenne on June 16, 2008, 03:50:31 AM
Sure we are--it's called "suburbia."  Why know your neighbors when the assholes on Desperate Housewives are so much more "interesting"?

No, we're equipped, we just got lazy.  B00b t00b feeds the lazetrain.  If you know who you're living next to, you might have to care.  Caring means sharing.  And if it's all for me and none for you...that equation doesn't work right.

When you start dismissing everyone you meet on the street, how long does it take before you start dismissing people you might get to know, but don't have the energy to?  To keep to yourself, stay within your own circle of friends, never offer to help anyone out.  Alienation piled on alienation.

Plus the internet means people get the simulation of human contact and never have to learn to deal wtih face to face social interaction.

I don't think the alienation means you can't handle humanity--it means you're too lazy to fuck with the reality that IS humanity.  We have already dismissed people we know, we have gone from living as huge multigenerational units to not-quite-two generational ones.  The nucleus is now just that--single-celled.  Why?  Because we can afford it. 

It's not that we are unable to KNOW everyone and be involved with them--it's that we don't have to.  We no longer need to talk to a real person to get anything done, we no longer have to step outside our doors to go anywhere.  We simulate reality because why bother actually living it and getting messy?  Stay clean!  Smell fresh!  Don't sully yourself with the endometrium of life.

Instead, sterlize and neutralize and then seal it in ziploc.

Because in the WallyWorld of tv, everything stays neat and tidy.  And you can ignore and forget and push it all behind and away.

When we lived in villages, we knew everyone--knew when they took a shit and what it looked like and how it smelled.  We lived shorter, dirtier lives.  (What we'd call organic, I guess, in our modern lingo...)  But a whole village was a huge-ass family, really, an organism.

And now we've distilled ourselves so minutely, we don't touch anything we don't want to, smell anything we don't want to, taste anything we don't want to. 

So I don't think it has to do with inability, or what we're "equipped" for--I think it has to do with control, tidiness, and laziness. 

Jenne

Quote from: Rabid Badger of God on June 16, 2008, 04:54:49 AM
It's a normal variation, the reason it's "more common" is that there are more people.  Also that sort of mental illness is no longer attached with the kind of social stigma that prevents people from blabbing about their problems all over the place. 

Well, and people are "better" at diagnosing now.  Or, rather, rare diagnoses are understood better and so are attributed more often as the cause.

The Good Reverend Roger

" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

tyrannosaurus vex

Quote from: Golden Applesauce on June 16, 2008, 04:41:09 AM
A lot of these disorders are associated with physical, structural differences from 'healthy' people.  So while the current era is certainly unique, I'm not prepared to claim it is actually causing any of them.

"Physical, structural differences" are evidence that TV has so saturated our gene pool that our brains are now adapting. New generations are already being born with large cavities in their brain, "naturally" designed to be reservoirs where puddles of stupid can collect.
Evil and Unfeeling Arse-Flenser From The City of the Damned.

BADGE OF HONOR

Jenne I agree except I would replace tv with internet.  Internet is false interaction and this is how we get furries.
The Jerk On Bike rolled his eyes and tossed the waffle back over his shoulder--before it struck the ground, a stout, disconcertingly monkey-like dog sprang into the air and snatched it, and began to masticate it--literally--for the sound it made was like a homonculus squatting on the floor muttering "masticate masticate masticate".

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

It's a normal variation, the reason it's "more common" is that there are more people.

But that makes no logical sense, taken literally. If 10% of people have red hair, red hair does not become more common as a proportion of the population when the population increases. It stays at 10%.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

BADGE OF HONOR

Quote from: Nigel on June 16, 2008, 07:46:33 AM
It's a normal variation, the reason it's "more common" is that there are more people.

But that makes no logical sense, taken literally. If 10% of people have red hair, red hair does not become more common as a proportion of the population when the population increases. It stays at 10%.

10% of 10 people = 1 person
10% of 100 people = 10 people
etc etc

The larger the population, the more people who have x problem.  I have no idea whether there's been a change in the rate of occurence over time, but if every single person who has, say, Aspbergers can't shut up about their problems, that adds up to a lot of people very quickly.  Especially on the internet where there is no physical limit to the population.

I am trying very hard not to talk out of my ass here, hope I'm being understood. 
The Jerk On Bike rolled his eyes and tossed the waffle back over his shoulder--before it struck the ground, a stout, disconcertingly monkey-like dog sprang into the air and snatched it, and began to masticate it--literally--for the sound it made was like a homonculus squatting on the floor muttering "masticate masticate masticate".

Raphaella

Quote from: vexati0n on June 16, 2008, 05:42:08 AM
Quote from: Golden Applesauce on June 16, 2008, 04:41:09 AM
A lot of these disorders are associated with physical, structural differences from 'healthy' people.  So while the current era is certainly unique, I'm not prepared to claim it is actually causing any of them.

"Physical, structural differences" are evidence that TV has so saturated our gene pool that our brains are now adapting. New generations are already being born with large cavities in their brain, "naturally" designed to be reservoirs where puddles of stupid can collect.

:mittens: :mittens:

Also one could take into account the behaviors that are learned from watching the TV. If a child sits indoors all day watching the tube, even 'wholesome' Disney programing, they tend to pick up strange social behaviors that otherwize would not occur if they were interacting with other, real children.
The sun shall be turned to darkness and the moon into blood before the coming of the great and terrible OZ

Darth Cupcake

A) :mittens:
B) Holy shit TV is so fucking evil. It idealizes dramatization of everything, which encourages people to have problems (ADD, bipolar, whatever) so that they can complain about how hard it is, and people will prop them up, and every minute of their life will be a montage from the OC where the fragile beautiful girl gets loved despite her emotional difficulties (nevermind that the intelligent, emotionally well-adapted but plain looking girl will remain the outcast) and the bad ass boy with severe inabilities to function is the one that gets mad laid. (At least, this is what I think--they keep playing the OC at my gym, but I am listening to music, so I just see but don't hear; it's kind of terrifying.) And we worship and obsessively watch the downfall of celebrities through drugs and mental breakdowns, just feeding this sick machine of GLAMORIZING the idea of BEING FUCKED UP.
C) high fructose corn syrup is one of the most evil things that exists, besides TV.
Be the trouble you want to see in the world.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Rabid Badger of God on June 16, 2008, 08:49:12 AM
Quote from: Nigel on June 16, 2008, 07:46:33 AM

10% of 10 people = 1 person
10% of 100 people = 10 people
etc etc

The larger the population, the more people who have x problem.  I have no idea whether there's been a change in the rate of occurence over time, but if every single person who has, say, Aspbergers can't shut up about their problems, that adds up to a lot of people very quickly.  Especially on the internet where there is no physical limit to the population.

I am trying very hard not to talk out of my ass here, hope I'm being understood. 

That's more people, not a higher rate of occurrence. "More common" = "higher rate of occurrence".

No matter how many more people there are in the world, unless the rate of occurrence changes, something cannot become "more common".
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."