News:

PD.com : We are the parents your children warned you about.

Main Menu

One more reason Germany is cooler than you.

Started by Lux Aorta of the 40 D, February 23, 2012, 06:36:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Triple Zero

ah you're right.

I don't always agree about the righteousness of such chastising, though. Dutch hiphop is completely saturated with Anglicisms and so it finds its way to common spoken language. While Germanisms in that sense of the word are pretty much impossible to define--or at least to hate on--because we have proper loanwords like "sowieso" and "uberhaupt" while what's spoken in the whole NL-DE border region is filled with mixed up sentence structures, on both sides, that it is truly impossible to say whether a phrase or way of saying something was originally Dutch or German or common to both.

But then, the hardcore language purists don't hate as much on Germanisms as they do with Anglicisms do they? Because a Germanism phrasing of words, it sounds so authentically Dutch, like the Dutch our grandparents' parents wrote, the way it should have been and when we knew what's best for us, nothing like that modern fancypance facebook generation English mashuppery!

Or ... do they just hate less on Germanisms because there's more truth in the word "taalnazi" (language nazi) than they'd like to admit? ;-) :lulz:
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

What the hell is up with German toilets, though?
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Triple Zero

Um, I dunno? Their roadside/gas-stop ("Reststatte") toilets are really really clean and pleasant to use?

No, what's with them?

That they're not gigantic soup bowls filled with gallons upon gallons of water that splash back onto your buttcheeks whenever you drop something in them? That's not just Germany, I always figured you just misjudged the amount of water that sensibly would go into a toilet because some yahoo got their metric conversions wrong or something.
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Triple Zero on February 26, 2012, 10:27:32 PM
Um, I dunno? Their roadside/gas-stop ("Reststatte") toilets are really really clean and pleasant to use?

No, what's with them?

That they're not gigantic soup bowls filled with gallons upon gallons of water that splash back onto your buttcheeks whenever you drop something in them? That's not just Germany, I always figured you just misjudged the amount of water that sensibly would go into a toilet because some yahoo got their metric conversions wrong or something.

Maybe there's something wrong with the way that I poop, but I've never gotten backsplash on by buttcheeks. And especially with the placement of my rather tiny bathroom off the kitchen area, I really appreciate the smell-minimization of not pooping onto a dry shelf.

There's not much water in the bowl of a normal toilet, anyway, and it seems like what does remain in the bowl would be pretty well offset by not having to use so much to wash the poop off the poop-shelf.

Dude, the poop-shelf is just weird. I think that squat toilets make perfect sense, but German toilets... not so much. It's got all the disadvantages of a squat toilet COMBINED with all of the disadvantages of a Western toilet.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Cain

I know a website where you can get excellent feedback on this...

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Cain on February 26, 2012, 10:49:47 PM
I know a website where you can get excellent feedback on this...

Noooooooo! D:

Triple Zero

Poop shelf. What a wonderful term!

We got them too btw. Not everywhere, it's about 50/50. I got one! It's not weird! And the smell's not a problem because you flush it and don't poop with the door open. Usually. When you live with other people. Anyway after you flush it it's gone soon enough.

The shelf's not entirely dry btw, there's a small puddle of water on it, to help prevent streaks.

I can understand why it's weird though. It's funny I never thought of it until, years back, I saw some American artists complain about it on a Dutch TV music channel :lulz: And I wondered, yeah, that is pretty weird, why do we have that?

I mean, the only reason I can think of is the satisfaction of shortly admiring that which you just produced, before you flush it. And nobody can deny that is indeed weird. Even though everybody does it, of course.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Triple Zero on February 26, 2012, 11:38:46 PM
Poop shelf. What a wonderful term!

We got them too btw. Not everywhere, it's about 50/50. I got one! It's not weird! And the smell's not a problem because you flush it and don't poop with the door open. Usually. When you live with other people. Anyway after you flush it it's gone soon enough.

The shelf's not entirely dry btw, there's a small puddle of water on it, to help prevent streaks.

I can understand why it's weird though. It's funny I never thought of it until, years back, I saw some American artists complain about it on a Dutch TV music channel :lulz: And I wondered, yeah, that is pretty weird, why do we have that?

I mean, the only reason I can think of is the satisfaction of shortly admiring that which you just produced, before you flush it. And nobody can deny that is indeed weird. Even though everybody does it, of course.

I think that the part that makes it not make any sense to me is that the only logic behind a poop-shelf is, as you mention, so that you can examine your poop before flushing it. Which would probably be a very good idea in some cases, such as if you ate a diet that made you susceptible to worms. But, this dubious advantage is offset a bit by the occasions I have heard about in which the poo gets stuck and requires assistance getting dislodged from the poo-shelf, or leaves a trail which needs cleaning.

That, and the shape of the poo-shelf seems like it would make splatter a serious issue for men who pee standing up?