Just 'cause this is a Discordian board doesn't mean we eat up dada bullshit

Main Menu

Power and Stupidity

Started by Cain, December 09, 2011, 09:37:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cain

This conforms to my preconcieved notions about how people in power behave:

Teh WaPo

Quote[N]ew research in political science and psychology has provided a novel explanation for why leaders and managers regularly let their followers down and resort to the kind of "layoffs and pay cuts are good for you" talk that defines absurdity. These studies show that leaders often emerge from communities not because they are ruthless, but because they are skilled at managing social relationships.

Something happens to people once they acquire power, however, and the transformation appears to be psychological...[V]olunteers made to feel powerful, even in a trivial laboratory experiment, almost instantly lose the ability to see things from other people's points of view...

[P]ower exacerbates many cognitive biases. People who lack power turn out to be more accurate in guessing the opinions of those around them, whereas those in power tend to be inaccurate. Because subordinates are also hesitant to tell superiors things they do not want to hear, the problem gets worse, with powerful people having even less input and perspective about how others think and feel...

Not having power forces you to see things from other people's points of view and increases empathy and social behavior. Having power allows you to ignore other points of view -- depriving you of the social skills that led to power in the first place. When powerful people such as Musharraf say and do things that are absurd, in other words, it could be that they are simply unaware of how they appear to others.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Cain on December 09, 2011, 09:37:19 PM
This conforms to my preconcieved notions about how people in power behave:

Teh WaPo

Quote[N]ew research in political science and psychology has provided a novel explanation for why leaders and managers regularly let their followers down and resort to the kind of "layoffs and pay cuts are good for you" talk that defines absurdity. These studies show that leaders often emerge from communities not because they are ruthless, but because they are skilled at managing social relationships.

Something happens to people once they acquire power, however, and the transformation appears to be psychological...[V]olunteers made to feel powerful, even in a trivial laboratory experiment, almost instantly lose the ability to see things from other people's points of view...

[P]ower exacerbates many cognitive biases. People who lack power turn out to be more accurate in guessing the opinions of those around them, whereas those in power tend to be inaccurate. Because subordinates are also hesitant to tell superiors things they do not want to hear, the problem gets worse, with powerful people having even less input and perspective about how others think and feel...

Not having power forces you to see things from other people's points of view and increases empathy and social behavior. Having power allows you to ignore other points of view -- depriving you of the social skills that led to power in the first place. When powerful people such as Musharraf say and do things that are absurd, in other words, it could be that they are simply unaware of how they appear to others.

Wow... that's fascinating!
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Lord Cataplanga

Very interesting. It appears that true communication really only exists between equals. Who would have thought?

Phox

Prelate Diogenes Shandor

Praise NHGH! For the tribulation of all sentient beings.

a plague on both your houses -Mercutio

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrTGgpWmdZQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVWd7nPjJH8

It is an unfortunate fact that every man who seeks to disseminate knowledge must contend not only against ignorance itself, but against false instruction as well. No sooner do we deem ourselves free from a particularly gross superstition, than we are confronted by some enemy to learning who would plunge us back into the darkness -H.P.Lovecraft

He who fights with monsters must take care lest he thereby become a monster -Nietzsche

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHhrZgojY1Q

You are a fluke of the universe, and whether you can hear it of not the universe is laughing behind your back -Deteriorata

Don't use the email address in my profile, I lost the password years ago

Saint Wolfsong

What does discordia mean to me?  what does discordia mean to ME?? I'll TELL you what discordia means to me!

It means......

Halp, Halp, probability waves are collapsing all around me!!!!

Telarus

Quote from: Saint Wolfsong on January 18, 2012, 01:18:28 AM
What does discordia mean to me?  what does discordia mean to ME?? I'll TELL you what discordia means to me!

It means......

Waves are not measured in feet and inches, they are measured in increments of fear.

-Buzzy Trent.

Don't seek, don't search, don't ask, don't knock, don't demand - relax. If you relax, it comes. If you relax, it is there. If you relax, you start vibrating[moving] with it.

-Osho

One of the greatest things about the sport of surfing is that you need only three things: your body, a surf-board, and a wave.

-Naima Green

Calm in quietude is not real calm. When you can be calm in the midst of activity, this is the true state of nature. Happiness in comfort is not real happiness. When you can be happy in the midst of hardship, then you see the true potential of the mind.

-Huanchu Daoren

Some people may become overly reliant on the program and its people and meetings. This type of rigid participation enables people to avoid addressing the pain and issues that lie beneath the addiction. Surf now, apocalypse later.

-Beachside graffiti in California.

The master in the art of living makes little distinction between his work and his play, his labor and his leisure, his mind and his body, his information and his recreation, his love and his religion. He hardly knows which is which. He simply pursues his vision of excellence at whatever he does, leaving others to decide whether he is working or playing. To him he is always doing both.

-Zen Wisdom

Surfing expresses ... a pure yearning for visceral, physical contact with the natural world.

-Matt Warshaw

The feminine is more powerful than the masculine, the soft is more powerful than the hard, the water is more powerful than the rock.

-Osho
Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!

Don Coyote

Quote from: Telarus on January 18, 2012, 02:00:02 AM
Quote from: Saint Wolfsong on January 18, 2012, 01:18:28 AM

It means......

Waves are not measured in feet and inches, they are measured in increments of fear.

-Buzzy Trent.

Don't seek, don't search, don't ask, don't knock, don't demand - relax. If you relax, it comes. If you relax, it is there. If you relax, you start vibrating[moving] with it.

-Osho

One of the greatest things about the sport of surfing is that you need only three things: your body, a surf-board, and a wave.

-Naima Green

Calm in quietude is not real calm. When you can be calm in the midst of activity, this is the true state of nature. Happiness in comfort is not real happiness. When you can be happy in the midst of hardship, then you see the true potential of the mind.

-Huanchu Daoren

Some people may become overly reliant on the program and its people and meetings. This type of rigid participation enables people to avoid addressing the pain and issues that lie beneath the addiction. Surf now, apocalypse later.

-Beachside graffiti in California.

The master in the art of living makes little distinction between his work and his play, his labor and his leisure, his mind and his body, his information and his recreation, his love and his religion. He hardly knows which is which. He simply pursues his vision of excellence at whatever he does, leaving others to decide whether he is working or playing. To him he is always doing both.

-Zen Wisdom

Surfing expresses ... a pure yearning for visceral, physical contact with the natural world.

-Matt Warshaw

The feminine is more powerful than the masculine, the soft is more powerful than the hard, the water is more powerful than the rock.

-Osho

:lol:
Very nicely put.

Telarus

Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!

Wolfgang Absolutus

So what you are saying is... Ayn Rand is superman.
Thinking and Breathing are my main occupations.

East Coast Hustle

You're working hard at proving the "people with Wolf in their username" maxim, aren't you? :lulz:
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

kingyak

I just started reading Jon Ronson's The Psychopath Test, which examines the idea that it's the other way around (people with no emotions are more likely to attain power). Of course, it's a Jon Ronson book, so I'm guessing it'll mostly be wacky misadventures with occasional anecdotal interludes.
"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."-HST

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Fuck You One-Eye on February 14, 2012, 09:18:10 PM
You're working hard at proving the "people with Wolf in their username" maxim, aren't you? :lulz:

He's fucking tireless.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

minuspace

Quote from: kingyak on February 14, 2012, 09:26:50 PM
I just started reading Jon Ronson's The Psychopath Test, which examines the idea that it's the other way around (people with no emotions are more likely to attain power). Of course, it's a Jon Ronson book, so I'm guessing it'll mostly be wacky misadventures with occasional anecdotal interludes.
Generally disposable, either way?