News:

Yes we're horrible toxic people, because this is 2020's Mental Illness Olympics, and the winners get a free pass on giving life-threatening advice with the bonus of having zero accountability for their shit behaviour.

Main Menu

ITT, Holist demonstrates why his "English" is superior.

Started by Dildo Argentino, October 28, 2012, 10:55:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: holist on October 31, 2012, 06:49:56 AM
Quote from: CAKE on October 31, 2012, 02:31:17 AM
:lulz: No, as a NATIVE ENGLISH SPEAKER YOU MUST BE MISTAKEN, because he's Holist. :lulz:

Not quite... as a native speaker of English you may be mistaken (as in this case you were) - because no native speaker has knowledge of the entire lexicon.

OH MY GOD THIS CAN'T STOP GETTING BETTER!  :lulz:
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Reverend Roadkill on October 31, 2012, 02:27:26 PM
People:  Please stop arguing with Holist on my thread.

And think about what you're doing:  You are trying to get the last word with an aspie.

Good luck with that.

Sorry, I'm not trying to argue so much as marvelling at the sheer trainwreck of self-ownage going down in this thread on Holist's part. It's like he's turned into a full-bore caricature of The Incorrect Pedant. It's AMAZING!

Suggestion: ask for thread split, partly to get the bullshit out of your thread, partly because IMO this gem of unconscious incompetence belongs on it's own.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

And think about what you're doing:  You are trying to get the last word with an aspie.

Good luck with that.

Gonna also take this moment to point out that if Holist was really an Aspie, he would have taken a second to Google the common English idiom "luck of the draw" and concluded that it was he that was mistaken. But he hasn't. Whatever is wrong with these people isn't autism, it has way too much ego bound up in it.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: CAKE on October 31, 2012, 02:41:11 PM

Good luck with that.

Sorry, I'm not trying to argue so much as marvelling at the sheer trainwreck of self-ownage going down in this thread on Holist's part. It's like he's turned into a full-bore caricature of The Incorrect Pedant. It's AMAZING!

Suggestion: ask for thread split, partly to get the bullshit out of your thread, partly because IMO this gem of unconscious incompetence belongs on it's own.

Yeah, that was funny.

And yeah, thread split.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: CAKE on October 31, 2012, 02:45:06 PM

Good luck with that.

Gonna also take this moment to point out that if Holist was really an Aspie, he would have taken a second to Google the common English idiom "luck of the draw" and concluded that it was he that was mistaken. But he hasn't. Whatever is wrong with these people isn't autism, it has way too much ego bound up in it.

Yeah, that too.  But he has the aspie quality of HAVING to have the last word.

And "luck of the straw".  :lulz:

That's the kind of translation skills that make the world the hilarious place that it is.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Freeky

Quote from: holist on October 31, 2012, 06:47:42 AM
Quote from: Freeky Queen of DERP on October 30, 2012, 11:09:17 PM
It's "luck of the draw," holist.

I think you'll find... just google it.

I predict, when I do Google the phrase "luck of the draw", I will find a number of articles on the history of the phrase, which will strongly involve card games, likely poker, as many pop culture things in English frequently do.

BRBLOL

The Good Reverend Roger

LMNO

The Good Reverend Roger

http://idioms.yourdictionary.com/luck-of-the-draw

QuotePure chance, as in It isn't anyone's fault—it's just the luck of the draw. This expression alludes to the random drawing of a playing card. [Mid-1900s]

It is important to note, however, that the people who wrote the above may speak English as a first language, meaning they have no fucking clue what anything means, as they cannot understand their own Lexicon because they were raised with it.

The Good Reverend Roger

Holist:

You know, after reading this silliness for some time now, I'd say that the real core "issue" is simply that you're no FUN.  The whole thing is about FUN and you're neither generating nor really having any, it seems, unless you're creaming your jeans because you are a masochist.  Like former members Number 6 and Dead Kennedy, you play one note VERY LOUDLY and then play it some more, as if persisting in playing it will make it more palateable, generate any tangible status for you or yield you any friends, digital or in-person.  What do you expect from such behavior?  Not that I personally give a shit, but I am idly curious.

The Church is a large and quirky group, but the overwhelming aspect of it is and has BEEN that it's fun.  Even some of the notorious cranks of old showed variety and weaved their own amusing threads into the happysock that we call PD.  Why, ECH himself is a shelled crab with an IQ of 400 and a DQ (Disgust Quotient) of EIGHT hundred and even a notorious pervert such as he is a valued - if more often dead than alive - member of this board.

You, however, have had precisely nothing to say.  Where were you about 10 years ago when we started this abomination?  Where were you in 2006, when the fun really started?  Never mind that, really...There are plenty of members here that joined very recently and manage to contribute.  So where are the podcasts of your rants?  Do you engage in recognizable group conversations with any of us?  Have you done anything but get into some downward-spiralling pissing contest that you'll philosophically (and in practical terms) lose, even if you "win?"  What can you possibly do with such a "victory", Anyway?  If you don't want to have some laughs or be welcome at the party, why are you even bothering?

Seriously, Holist, you're an asshole.  You DON'T have fun, because you don't even know what fun IS.  And this garbage here, this non-stop abortion that has formed around you on PD...That's the rest of your life, on display right in front of your eyes.  I am sure your abject failure to have fun in England is just like your failure to get along here...Someone else's fault, right?  It sure as hell isn't YOUR inability to communicate on even a basic level, is it?  Of course it's not.  Keep telling yourself that, as you bounce from one abject failure to another.  That will make everything better.

Nephew Twiddleton

The thought occurred to me today that holist might be conflating the phrases luck of the draw and to draw straws. Which really still doesnt help demonstrate his ability to speak english better than native english speakers.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Nephew Twiddleton on October 31, 2012, 07:49:11 PM
The thought occurred to me today that holist might be conflating the phrases luck of the draw and to draw straws. Which really still doesnt help demonstrate his ability to speak english better than native english speakers.

I assume that's what he's doing... it's a pretty typical ESL mistake. It's the kind of mistake that makes for the adorably hilarious Engrish you see on www.engrish.com.

I will give it to him, holist is an EXPERT at speaking/writing Engrish.

Nephew Twiddleton

Maybe we should start calling holist balky instead.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Phox

What the ever loving fuck happened here? I go to the hospital for a few days and this happens AGAIN.

Holist: You are quite mistaken in all of your statements. To wit, none of your corrections to Roger's letter are necessary or appropriate in common American English, and rather, come off as overly stiff and formal, just as if you use every single grammatically correct liaison in French while technically correct, marks you as either a non-native speaker, or that you lack social skills. As for "luck of the straw", after scouring the Internet and lists of English idioms, the best I can up with is that you mistook a fairly poor pun on the phrase "luck of the draw" and the act of drawing straws as a phrase in and of itself. It does not, of course, make us believe that you have a superior grasp of the English language when even after following your condescending advice, speaking with several native speakers from various regions and countries, and accessing specialized dialectical lists that you no doubt, as a translator, frequently refer to yourself, there is no supporting evidence for your assertion that you are "right" and the others are "wrong". I, in good faith, looked carefully and thoroughly through the resources at my disposal and have found that you are either aware of a phrase in English that has long since fallen into disuse, which does not seem likely when considering your previous attempts at communicating your points, or that you yourself have fallen into the very trap you are condemning others for, though they are actually quite competent in communicating in their own language. If you provide a credible source for this phrase, or admit that you are mistaken, then I will consider continuing to address you as if you are my peer. Otherwise, I'm afraid, even I, the model of restraint and civility, shall be forced, through no fault of my own, to shun most rigorously any attempt at communication between our two respective parties.