News:

Yeah, fuckface! Get ready to be beaten down. Grrr! Internet ain't so safe now is it motherfucker! Shit just got real! Bam!

Main Menu

Risotto

Started by Eve, October 15, 2008, 06:58:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eve

Specifically, butternut squash risotto. I recommend sucking it up and buying the Williams Sonoma puree--so delicious and worth the price, if you can afford it. Given the leftovers I still have, after my entire family ate it for dinner twice since we made it, I'd say it's a good investment. If you disagree, goody for you. ;)

Ingredients:
7 tbsp unsalted butter
2 tbsp minced fresh sage
6 cups stock (veggie or chicken.. I used chicken)
2 cups butternut squash puree
2 tbsp olive oil
2/3 cup caramelized onions
2 cups Arborio rice
1 tsp minced rosemary
1/2 cup dry white wine
1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
Salt and pepper to taste

Directions:
In a small saucepan over medium heat, melt 4 tbsp of the butter. Add 1 tbsp of the sage and heat until the butter browns. Strain the butter into a small bowl and discard the sage. Cover the bowl to keep the butter warm.

In a large saucepan over medium-high heat, whisk together the stock and squash puree. Bring just to a simmer, 8 to 10 minutes; maintain over low heat.

In a large saucepan (or risotto pan) over medium heat, warm the olive oil. Add the caramelized onions and rice and stir until the grains are well coated with the oil and are nearly translucent with a white dot in the center, about 3 minutes. Stir in the remaining 1 tbsp sage and the rosemary. Add the wine and stir until it is absorbed.

Add the simmering stock mixture a ladleful at a time, stirring frequently after each addition. Wait until the stock is almost completely absorbed before adding more.

When the rice is tender to the bite but slightly firm in the center and looks creamy, after about 30 minutes, stir in the remaining 3 Tbs. butter, the cheese, salt and pepper. Add more stock if needed so the rice is thick and creamy. Let stand for 2 minutes. Drizzle with the reserved sage butter and serve immediately. Serves 6.

(Eve-family had it with some chicken and salad for extra win.)

One day I'll be able to give cooking instructions LMNO-style--that is to say, what strikes me as very casually.. not loaded with :lmnuendo:. Until then, from the recipe card!
Emotionally crippled narcissist.

LMNO

I've found that in almost all cases when I cook, unless there's a chemistry-or-physical-based reason for it (like the 2:1 ratio of water to rice (or oil to acid, for that matter)), all ingredients are "to taste".  If you experiment, you'll find the right amounts to use.  I figure with the pics, you can generally see the amounts I'm using.

Kai

Quote from: LMNO on October 15, 2008, 01:21:15 PM
I've found that in almost all cases when I cook, unless there's a chemistry-or-physical-based reason for it (like the 2:1 ratio of water to rice (or oil to acid, for that matter)), all ingredients are "to taste".  If you experiment, you'll find the right amounts to use.  I figure with the pics, you can generally see the amounts I'm using.

I always thought the same way. Unless its baking or rice, I just eyeball it.

Also, all these food threads (this one included) are making me hungry. All the time.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

Jasper

Even some baking can be eyeballed, with some knowledge of standard recipes.  I've gotten so I can make passable pie crusts and really good cookies just measuring by eye.