News:

MysticWicks endorsement: "I've always, always regarded the Discordians as being people who chose to be Discordians because they can't be arsed to actually do any work to develop a relationship with a specific deity, they were too wishy-washy to choose just one path, and they just want to be a mishmash of everything and not have to work at learning about rituals or traditions or any such thing as that."

Main Menu

Really real discordians

Started by Dalek, November 21, 2010, 08:37:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cain

Quote from: The Dancing Pickle on November 22, 2010, 07:35:25 PM
Quote from: Subetai on November 22, 2010, 07:33:10 PM
Faggots are a delicious and traditional meal.

I thought they were cigarettes?

No, those are fags.  Totally different thing.

You can also throw faggots on a fire.  Not the same kind of faggots you eat though, obviously.

Cramulus

I was unfamiliar with this definition:

Fag
-verb
2. British . to require (a younger public-school pupil) to do menial chores.

-noun
10. British  Informal . a younger pupil in a British public school required to perform certain menial tasks for, and submit to the hazing of, an older pupil.

Cain

Oh yes, I should copy out some sections of Tom Brown's Schooldays.  If you read "fag" in its modern context, the novels take on a whole different cast...

Jenne

Quote from: Hoopla on November 22, 2010, 07:35:44 PM
Quote from: Jenne on November 22, 2010, 07:34:52 PM"glorious faggot"

:oops: oops

See, I don't put qualifiers on these things.  I have not restrained my speech from my kids at home--in fact, we only tell them when it's appropriate to use cuss words.  And for all the f-bomb as it's politely called is thrown around liberally around this house, my kids NEVER cuss in front of adults.  Ever. 

I think language is a plastic thing that moves and shapes and breathes, but it has controls that you must learn in order to communicate successfully and effectively.  I'm hardly EVER the prescriptivist...I don't dictate (often) how people should term things so they are "nicer" or "less annoying," but instead find it fascinating when they adhere or DON'T to the social normative values of language.

/I actually quite fucking LOVE linguistics

Jenne

Quote from: Subetai on November 22, 2010, 07:36:42 PM
Quote from: The Dancing Pickle on November 22, 2010, 07:35:25 PM
Quote from: Subetai on November 22, 2010, 07:33:10 PM
Faggots are a delicious and traditional meal.

I thought they were cigarettes?

No, those are fags.  Totally different thing.

You can also throw faggots on a fire.  Not the same kind of faggots you eat though, obviously.

Can't you be also "quite fagged" as in tired/worn out, as well?  I think this is new(er) or very archaic, I disremember.

Cain

That sounds about right.  Not sure where it comes from, possibly the smoking of fags leaving one out of breath and so tired, and it's not common, but I've heard it once or twice.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: LMNO, PhD on November 22, 2010, 07:34:05 PM
Quote from: Nigel on November 22, 2010, 07:30:35 PM
The difference is that these terms are being used, appropriately or not, within the context of a cohesive and affectionate social group. That's not the case when you go on the internet and refer to other people as fags or snatches, so while it's perfectly reasonable for me and my friends to call each other fags and snatches, it would be PRETTY FUCKING STUPID to say those things to a group of random internet people of various backgrounds and expect everyone to be cool with it.

Right, snatches?

The bitch has a point.

:thanks:
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

the last yatto

Look, asshole:  Your 'incomprehensible' act, your word-salad, your pinealism...It BORES ME.  I've been incomprehensible for so long, I TEACH IT TO MBA CANDIDATES.  So if you simply MUST talk about your pineal gland or happy children dancing in the wildflowers, go talk to Roger, because he digs that kind of shit

Phox

Quote from: Cramulus on November 22, 2010, 07:34:32 PM
Quote from: Phox on November 22, 2010, 07:24:40 PM
Quote from: LMNO, PhD on November 22, 2010, 07:16:43 PM
While Cram might be correct in the evolution of the term, if you asked someone what "fag" means, most would say either that it's a slur for homosexual, or that it explicitly was not a slur for homosexual-- that is, they believed it usually is a slur, "but not in the way I do it."

Which is simply a nice way of justifying why they use what they believe to be a homosexual slur.

This. Again, it depends on the perception of the person hearing it, not the "intention" of the person saying it.. "Newfag", "oldfag", etc. are direct derivatives from the use of "fag" as a homophobic slur, and they are still charged with that sentiment.

see I think they are direct derivatives of the word "fag" used as a generally insulting term

that's why you never hear anything like "newqueer" or "new-homo" or "newgay" or whatever else people insultingly call homosexuals these days

I think earlier ITT somebody posted a link to the southpark episode about this which encapsulates this discussion pretty well. The kids were pissed off that these bikers were being really obnoxious and spraypainted "GO AWAY FAGS" all over town. This prompted the elementary school to lecture them about tolerance for  homosexuals, which confused everybody. Eventually somebody said, "ohhh. .they think that we were referring to gay fags."

the same argument could apply to the word "whore". I can call somebody a drama-whore without being inherently offensive to women.

Or I can say "quit bitching", and it's not inherently sexist, even though if you tease it apart, I am saying that your whining reminds me of a woman.

(I'm not saying you're bitching BTW, just giving an example  :wink:)

Now, see, I don't think "queer", "homo", or "gay" would work because the LGBT community has appropriated those words for itself. On the whole, they are still very against the use of the word "fag", however, because it is innately an insult. So calling someone "newhomo" wouldn't read as insult to someone who wasn't homophobic to begin with.

And again, the issue isn't the usage, it's the common perception. The South Park episode is a great example. There is a misinterpretation of the way the word is being used, BUT the problem is society as a whole hasn't moved past "fag = gay" yet. In your other examples, society has sufficiently moved on, and it was only a comparatively recent shift.
Quote from: Jenne on November 22, 2010, 07:41:04 PM
Quote from: Hoopla on November 22, 2010, 07:35:44 PM
Quote from: Jenne on November 22, 2010, 07:34:52 PM"glorious faggot"

:oops: oops

See, I don't put qualifiers on these things.  I have not restrained my speech from my kids at home--in fact, we only tell them when it's appropriate to use cuss words.  And for all the f-bomb as it's politely called is thrown around liberally around this house, my kids NEVER cuss in front of adults.  Ever.  

I think language is a plastic thing that moves and shapes and breathes, but it has controls that you must learn in order to communicate successfully and effectively.  I'm hardly EVER the prescriptivist...I don't dictate (often) how people should term things so they are "nicer" or "less annoying," but instead find it fascinating when they adhere or DON'T to the social normative values of language.

/I actually quite fucking LOVE linguistics

But the problem lies in the fact that language IS a very powerful social tool. Whether you adhere to the norms or not, is a statement about the kind of people you wish to associate with, whether you intend it to be or not. You can tell the most about a person by the way they speak above all other things.

The Good Reverend Roger

" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Jenne

Quote from: Phox on November 22, 2010, 07:52:04 PM

But the problem lies in the fact that language IS a very powerful social tool. Whether you adhere to the norms or not, is a statement about the kind of people you wish to associate with, whether you intend it to be or not. You can tell the most about a person by the way they speak above all other things.

What's the problem, exactly?  You're describing exactly what I said:  that language has social normative values, and a certain knowledge of them is required to function with any success while using it.

Now, English language LEARNERS (meaning:  people who don't speak the language indigenously NOR live within the cultures that speak it indigenously) don't always KNOW those values or live them, do they?  So their perception would be "off" sometimes.  And the internet is an INTERESTING place to learn those values, to say the least.

It's less black and white, is what I'm saying, than you seem to want to accept or purport, but then language, interaction and culture tends to be that way once you go past the "this is wrong, this is right, etc." sort of discussion.

the last yatto

Quote from: Phox on November 22, 2010, 06:50:25 PM
Quote from: Herbertina Merrique V on November 22, 2010, 10:32:09 AM

Sorry, should've thought twice before using that. :weary: But is "oldfag" even a pejorative? I don't think it really applies any negative effects to the LGBT people, or anyone else for that matter.

It depends on how a person takes it. I for one find it offensive as fuck, so I repeat, fuck off with that shit.

Nigga wut?
Look, asshole:  Your 'incomprehensible' act, your word-salad, your pinealism...It BORES ME.  I've been incomprehensible for so long, I TEACH IT TO MBA CANDIDATES.  So if you simply MUST talk about your pineal gland or happy children dancing in the wildflowers, go talk to Roger, because he digs that kind of shit

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Wait, since when have queers not appropriated the word "fag"? We must live on different planets.

Also, "the LGBT community". :lulz:

Sorry, longstanding pet peeve.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

the last yatto

Fag is like sexual harassment. Its only not okay when an ugly person does it

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Pēleus on November 22, 2010, 08:00:38 PM
Fag is like sexual harassment. Its only not okay when an ugly person does it

Wow.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.