News:

You know what I always say? "Always kill the mouthy one", that's what I always say.

Main Menu

Most Selfish Bastard Award goes to...(drum roll)...

Started by The Good Reverend Roger, January 16, 2014, 05:14:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on January 16, 2014, 07:35:34 PM
Quote from: THE PHYTOPHTHORATIC HOLDER OF THE ADVANCED DEGREE on January 16, 2014, 07:34:53 PM
Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on January 16, 2014, 07:31:47 PM
Quote from: THE PHYTOPHTHORATIC HOLDER OF THE ADVANCED DEGREE on January 16, 2014, 07:28:49 PM
That is an important question. Are they going to start mining and manufacturing? Presumably they'd want people to reproduce there and expand the colony, start producing food.

All 4 of them will do all of that, all of that and more!   :lulz:

QuoteHow's the food going to work.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uruguayan_Air_Force_Flight_571

QuoteWait, shouldn't they be sending foolhardy 20 somethings just out of college with nothing to do instead of a middle aged guy? Even just for the reproductive potential? Why's this guy still on the list?

Reproduction?  In a high radiation environment?   :lulz:

Now THERE'S some ratings!  Astronauts and carnival geeks!

Lead. It's the new leather.

Nothing says "affordable launch" like a few tons of lead shielding!  :lol:

I was thinking more for kinky underwear purposes.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

The Johnny

Most deadbeats move to another state (or Florida) but MARS?!?

Now THAT is commitment, we shall name him "King Douchebaggo the deadbeat the 1st"
<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner

Junkenstein

Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on January 16, 2014, 07:35:34 PM
Quote from: THE PHYTOPHTHORATIC HOLDER OF THE ADVANCED DEGREE on January 16, 2014, 07:34:53 PM
Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on January 16, 2014, 07:31:47 PM
Quote from: THE PHYTOPHTHORATIC HOLDER OF THE ADVANCED DEGREE on January 16, 2014, 07:28:49 PM
That is an important question. Are they going to start mining and manufacturing? Presumably they'd want people to reproduce there and expand the colony, start producing food.

All 4 of them will do all of that, all of that and more!   :lulz:

QuoteHow's the food going to work.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uruguayan_Air_Force_Flight_571

QuoteWait, shouldn't they be sending foolhardy 20 somethings just out of college with nothing to do instead of a middle aged guy? Even just for the reproductive potential? Why's this guy still on the list?

Reproduction?  In a high radiation environment?   :lulz:

Now THERE'S some ratings!  Astronauts and carnival geeks!

Lead. It's the new leather.

Nothing says "affordable launch" like a few tons of lead shielding!  :lol:

Oh gods, this will be funny as fuck. There's a reason EVERY sci-fi universe that has a Mars colony usually has some back story about the first construction being shoddy as shit. With unfortunate consequences.

We're building that future today, with intrepid predictable failures. The first housing unit is going to be real cramped for 4 people after 2 years. When there's 8 it'll be unbearable. Predicting first Mars murder +833 days from landing.
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

The Good Reverend Roger

Predicting that they're all dead in the very first week.

No shit.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

tyrannosaurus vex

Evil and Unfeeling Arse-Flenser From The City of the Damned.

Junkenstein

Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on January 16, 2014, 09:34:52 PM

No shit.

You know, It wouldn't shock me.
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Junkenstein on January 16, 2014, 09:52:43 PM

No shit.

It would fucking amaze me if they lasted any longer than that.  They aren't recruiting experienced astronauts.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Junkenstein

I'd guess more piss thin shielding or oxygen. Assuming the construction process isn't inherently fatal.

Experienced astronauts would presumably see it as an obvious death sentence. I'd be happy getting as far as space and be more than willing to let some "pioneers" die incredibly interesting deaths.

Anna Mae Bollocks

Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on January 16, 2014, 09:53:48 PM

No shit.

It would fucking amaze me if they lasted any longer than that.  They aren't recruiting experienced astronauts.

The Mad Prophet of the Desert has spoken.
Toast.
Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Tiddleywomp Cockletit on January 16, 2014, 10:01:04 PM

No shit.

Toast.

The Apollo 13 astronauts had a gigantic collection of the world's finest minds help them get past a blown solenoid.

These guys will have the producers of a reality TV show.

tyrannosaurus vex

Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on January 16, 2014, 10:16:22 PM

No shit.

Toast.

The Apollo 13 astronauts had a gigantic collection of the world's finest minds help them get past a blown solenoid.

It's 2014, Roger. Bad things just don't happen in this century. Not as long as the ratings are good.
Evil and Unfeeling Arse-Flenser From The City of the Damned.

Salty

So...asshole who doesnt actually seem to like his family, is never around...wants to eject himself to a mostly barren planet to slowly die?

Why are we all still talking about this and not shoving people in pods?

This should be a government funded program.
The world is a car and you're the crash test dummy.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: V3X on January 16, 2014, 05:45:57 PM
What a grade-A bag of half-eaten dog shit. I think the idea of colonizing Mars is 1000% awesome, but do I want to know that our sister planet is populated by deadbeat dads? No, no I do not. But this is what we get in the 21st century, I guess. Anyone who isn't too busy trying to outrun starvation and civil war is a victim of Special Snowflake Syndrome, and believe the bullshit they put in inspirational posters. "If you really believe in yourself, you'll find a way not to care what you do to the people who love and need you." Kudos to this guy, because now his family gets to spend the years between now and whenever he gets the "LOL YOU'RE NOT REALLY IN" letter from Mars One, believing that he's going to fuck off and leave them to fend for themselves. He is already a ghost, so when his dreams come crashing down like his dumb ass corpse will from the rafters in the garage when he gets that letter, they'll at least be able to pretend he's died and gone to Mars.

Yeah, I think this pretty much nails it.

If he wanted to go to Mars, he should have thought of that before having children, and also he should have been an astronaut.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on January 16, 2014, 10:16:22 PM

No shit.

Toast.

Something something free market something regulations something capitalists do it better than government.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Junkenstein

Quote from: Alty on January 16, 2014, 10:37:01 PM
So...asshole who doesnt actually seem to like his family, is never around...wants to eject himself to a mostly barren planet to slowly die?

Why are we all still talking about this and not shoving people in pods?

This should be a government funded program.

The history of Australia strikes me as terribly relevant for some reason. Particularly the early labour sources.