News:

All you can say in this site's defence is that it, rather than reality, occupies the warped minds of some of the planet's most twisted people; gods know what they would get up to if it wasn't here.  In these arguably insane times, any lessening or attenuation of madness is maybe something to be thankful for.

Main Menu

Open Bar: Arguments About Turtles, All the Way Down

Started by Cain, August 09, 2014, 07:29:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pope Pixie Pickle

so this happened to my room today.

it used to be urban concrete grey/battleship grey and it was horrible and depressing.

Look at that turquoise. I dare you to feel shitty looking at that. CANT BE DONE!

Junkenstein

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on August 10, 2014, 05:00:26 PM
In other news, there's the "ice water challenge".

http://abcnews.go.com/US/reason-crazy-ice-water-challenge-trend/story?id=24886646

When challenged, you have 24 hours to pour a bucket of ice water on your head, or you have to donate $100 towards ALS research.

Besides the fact that the most useful thing you can do is not accept the challenge, doesn't pouring a bucket of ice water on your head seem a bit arbitrary?

I kind of want to start a "put out lit cigarettes on your arm for dyslexia" challenge.

Firstly, yes, do that or something similar.

Secondly, note that each participant is actively not giving towards cause X. You would think that the issuer of said challenge would be the one to donate cash instead but this doesn't seem to occur. That's got potential.

Thirdly, I'd pay serious money for a list of participants. That's a sucker list worth a fortune.
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I need to make the slides and submit them. I really do.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Suu

Home from funerals and Pennsics and such. Had a generally okay time that was filled with too much misery for shit that's supposed to be fun.

What did I miss?
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Pæs

Writing process documentation at work. If at any stage of the process the user clicks "SUBMIT" instead of "SAVE" everything will break forever, so after every step of the process it says:

DO NOT SUBMIT.

Feels a little bit like brainwashing. I think I'm going to have to go through and flavour it up.

RESIST THE URGE TO SUBMIT.

YOU ARE STRONG ENOUGH TO NOT SUBMIT.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Suu

Husband made chief while we were away. This is all well and good, however, let's just say he's about to be fucked forever for the next 3 months until his pinning.

Oh, and if anyone asks, it's "initiation" not "hazing."

:|

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Trivial

Quote from: Pæs on August 10, 2014, 10:12:53 PM
Writing process documentation at work. If at any stage of the process the user clicks "SUBMIT" instead of "SAVE" everything will break forever, so after every step of the process it says:

DO NOT SUBMIT.

Feels a little bit like brainwashing. I think I'm going to have to go through and flavour it up.

RESIST THE URGE TO SUBMIT.

YOU ARE STRONG ENOUGH TO NOT SUBMIT.

:lulz:
Sexy Octopus of the Next Noosphere Horde

There are more nipples in the world than people.

Raz Tech

Quote from: The Suu on August 11, 2014, 12:47:25 AM
Husband made chief while we were away. This is all well and good, however, let's just say he's about to be fucked forever for the next 3 months until his pinning.

It's never hazing if it's "tradition", even if it's a tradition of hazing.

Congrats to your husband!

Suu

Quote from: Raz Tech on August 11, 2014, 01:34:02 AM
Quote from: The Suu on August 11, 2014, 12:47:25 AM

It's never hazing if it's "tradition", even if it's a tradition of hazing.

Congrats to your husband!

Well, he appears to be shaving EVERYTHING, and his boots never looked so good. They gave him a bag of things I'm not allowed to look at including an "instructional manual" on the etiquettes and protocols he has to adhere to during his "training."  :lulz:

He signed up for this shit, but at least he's in good spirits. Apparently his pinning is going to be in a month, not 3, so guess that means I gots a party to plan.

Pæs

On Friday I published a blog detailing security issues with the website of NZ's most litigious politician which result could result in total compromise of the server it's on. This week I have a coffee dates with infosec recruitment directors and there has been mention of a first annual "COME AT ME, BRO" award at NZ's yearly hacker convention.

Suu

Car shopping time. If any New England spag knows someone who is getting rid of a Subaru Outback or Forester (you know, the official cars of New Hampshire) within reasonably manageable miles (150,000 ish) with a clean title and recent inspection, lemme know. We'll replace the head gasket ourselves if the price is right. As long as the engine is still ticking I can get another 200,000mi on those suckers and not slide off the cliff into the ocean come February. Unlike my husband's car, which is a FWD 4 banger manual Scion thingy that scares me when it ices over. Seriously, he's from upstate NY, so "Hey watch this!" is funny to him when we lose control going downhill in the winter. I'd rather not do that.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I'm exhausted. I never finished the statistical analysis for my research proposal yesterday. Boyfriend fidgeted all night and I have a hard enough time sleeping as it is, I basically was up all night.

It's finals week.

LMNO

Cain

Quote from: Pæs on August 11, 2014, 02:32:25 AM
On Friday I published a blog detailing security issues with the website of NZ's most litigious politician which result could result in total compromise of the server it's on. This week I have a coffee dates with infosec recruitment directors and there has been mention of a first annual "COME AT ME, BRO" award at NZ's yearly hacker convention.

Saw that on FB.  Nice stuff.

I'm currently trolling the seedy world of online freelance writing, looking for legit paying work among the timewasters and the fraudsters.  We'll see how it goes.