News:

Already planning a hunger strike against the inhumane draconian right winger/neoliberal gun bans. Gun control is also one of the worst forms of torture. Without guns/weapons its like merely existing and not living.

Main Menu

Choose Your Own GASM

Started by Cramulus, June 30, 2008, 01:35:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cramulus

Just sign up with the Create an Account link

we'll go from there

Verbal Mike

I don't know how it's been done elsewhere, but I think it would be most practical to name every page "Page #", thus making every page a discrete and unique entity. This would also allow "encyclopedic" entries to come alongside the story, for reference purposes and lulz.
Unless stated otherwise, feel free to copy or reproduce any text I post anywhere and any way you like. I will never throw a hissy-fit over it, promise.

Verbal Mike

Also, I'm in as verbatim. I'm editing around a little - if you think what I'm doing is crap, go ahead and edit/delete it. It's just ideas for the organizational aspects of getting this thing going.
Unless stated otherwise, feel free to copy or reproduce any text I post anywhere and any way you like. I will never throw a hissy-fit over it, promise.

Verbal Mike

Oh, and I think the wiki name parameter in localsettings.php should be shortened to CYOM or something... That name is used as the prefix for meta pages (like [[Wikipedia:..]] links on the 'pedia) and it's currently too long to be practical for that. The guidelines page should be a meta page, really.

Cramulus

ATTN: FAUST

can you hook up good St. Verbatim over here with the ftp info? I've never tinkered around with these things, but it sounds like he has.

Verbal Mike

(That same parameter is what's shown in the browser title, by the way.)
Also, I can haz sysop?

Cainad (dec.)

http://uncyclopedia.org/wiki/Zork

Uncyclopedia's Zork uses a mahdjiqual template that makes it look like an old text adventure. It's surprisingly stable and well-constructed up to a certain point, thanks to a particular user named Zork Implementor L. This suggests, to me at least, that if we want to have something even remotely coherent, there needs to be at least one dedicated code-crunching monkey who can keep track of the paths, at least for the first dozen or so turns.

http://uncyclopedia.org/wiki/Game:Game

This one is more chaotic, and isn't bound by the conventions of a text adventure. This means it has a gazillion options, but nearly all of them putter out very quickly and lead to Page 86 (the "You are dead" page). If you're patient, you can follow a path of events pretty far, but the game has no end and I got kind of bored after making a few pages.

Generally, at Uncyc, making these things was a free-for-all. New ones would get started, turn into buckets of wikifail, and get deleted. Occasionally, groups of dedicated users would band together and put together a solid game (which, I think, is what we're going for here). One obvious potential problem is that the new paths will branch out very quickly, so I think it's important that those involved try to bulk up lower-level paths rather than creating one path that goes out for a zillion pages. Basically, when you create a new page/room/event, make sure there is a new page for each option you create. Seeing a redlink on a page is a total buzzkill.

With some clever writing and patience, I think this can turn out really well.

Golden Applesauce

There should be some way to automate creating a game tree from the wiki.  I've been meaning to practice more with Python; maybe I'll put together something.

I'll add new pages as I can.
Q: How regularly do you hire 8th graders?
A: We have hired a number of FORMER 8th graders.

Cramulus

Check out - Wiki talk page:

http://www.principiadiscordia.com/Adventure/index.php?title=Talk:Main_Page

Here's the idea: organize the wiki into 60-75 page stories. Each story should end roughly six steps after the beginning.

This will create managable story blocks which have definite endings and don't all just trail off into unwritten pages. We'll focus on each story until most of its endings are written. Then, as it slows down, we'll create a new story.

There's an emergent problem of how to name the pages. Because we don't want much crossover between stories. Two possible ideas:

• Each story has a page range. Story #2 is page 200-299, Story #3 is Page 300-399, etc
  • Each story has a small letter suffix. So the pages in story #2 are [[Page 1b]], [[Page 325b]], [[Page 15b]], etc

• Maybe it doesn't matter because people will eventually just be picking random page numbers like [[Page 023505]]. Accidental crossover between stories because it might actually be hilarious if several people accidentally linked to [[Page 23]] without knowing it already existed.

Which is the most intuitive?

remember: total morons will be using the site. THIS MEANS YUO.

Verbal Mike

another option is for each story to use a different word for the pages. story 1 uses "page", story 2 could use "leaf" or "tablet" or whetever else is appropriate.

I find this or the 1b/1c system most robust, but the page range system most intuitive.

Faust

Quote from: Professor Cramulus on July 07, 2008, 06:59:25 PM
ATTN: FAUST

can you hook up good St. Verbatim over here with the ftp info? I've never tinkered around with these things, but it sounds like he has.

I'll see what I can do, at the moment the wiki is part of the principia log on so I don't really want to give that out to too many people, ill see what I can do.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

Raphaella

Well, it looks as if there is a good start on this thing.
Where the story dead ends, could I just jump in and write the end, or do I need to know wikifu? I would like to help with this project, even if it means getting beat up by the fisharmed monster of doom.
Please fill me in on how it's done, or if you like I could just pm the bits of story to whoever is the wiki master. Thanks.
The sun shall be turned to darkness and the moon into blood before the coming of the great and terrible OZ

Cramulus

Oh, just make an account and jump right in. If you click on the Edit tab on a page, you'll see that wikicode is very very very simple. Don't be afraid to get your hands dirty and muck about in it.

Cramulus

Verbal Mike

Yes, when you made it I laffed so hard everybody at work looked at me. :(
Also, I fixxored it, the pics were screwing it up so I moved them around a teeny bit.