Unlimited "What defines a European city" urban theory debate thread

Started by Mesozoic Mister Nigel, September 27, 2012, 05:47:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Nephew Twiddleton on October 01, 2012, 11:48:48 PM
It seems to me that regardless of whatever the word city has in whatever european language the basic criteria seems to be human settlement with large population and population density. What makes these other cities not cities by the basic understood meaning of the word? Does hungary have  particularly narrow definition? If so does boston meet the criteria? If not is it not a really real city even though the usa says it is? Why are you trying to impose your own definition of city on developing nations and not other nations that have slightly different meanings for city than you?

Well, and then there's the question of whether Hungary has ANY first-world cities, despite being a second-world nation? If not, are second-world cities still really "cities" in the "European sense"?
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: A Very Hairy Monkey In An Ill-Fitting Tunic on October 02, 2012, 12:24:25 AM
It seems to me that regardless of whatever the word city has in whatever european language the basic criteria seems to be human settlement with large population and population density. What makes these other cities not cities by the basic understood meaning of the word? Does hungary have  particularly narrow definition? If so does boston meet the criteria? If not is it not a really real city even though the usa says it is? Why are you trying to impose your own definition of city on developing nations and not other nations that have slightly different meanings for city than you?

Well, and then there's the question of whether Hungary has ANY first-world cities, despite being a second-world nation? If not, are second-world cities still really "cities" in the "European sense"?

Not after 1956.

(shameless, self-serving bump follows:

" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on October 02, 2012, 12:26:07 AM
Quote from: A Very Hairy Monkey In An Ill-Fitting Tunic on October 02, 2012, 12:24:25 AM

Not after 1956.

(shameless, self-serving bump follows:

:lulz:
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Dildo Argentino

Quote from: Faust on October 01, 2012, 08:39:29 PM
I have never been in a two european cities that felt the same. Thread title annoys me and causes a knee jerk reaction.

Yeah. I've complained about it already.
Not too keen on rigor, myself - reminds me of mortis

Faust

Quote from: Dishonest Wanker on October 02, 2012, 06:49:06 AM
I have never been in a two european cities that felt the same. Thread title annoys me and causes a knee jerk reaction.

Oh did you? I generally don't read your posts. I retract my objection so.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

Dildo Argentino

Quote from: Faust on October 02, 2012, 08:18:50 AM
Quote from: Dishonest Wanker on October 02, 2012, 06:49:06 AM

Oh did you? I generally don't read your posts. I retract my objection so.

Glad to be of service.
Not too keen on rigor, myself - reminds me of mortis