News:

Hand drawn by monkeys in sweat-shop conditions.

Main Menu

There Has Been An Error!

Started by ~, December 23, 2009, 08:15:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

~

There Has Been An Error!

NotPublished

What I never got was if they kept saying they were going to kill themselves, wouldn't they of done it already?

As depressing as that sounds
In Soviet Russia, sins died for Jesus.

Cain

Apart from breaking my nose, the bloodiest I ever got was from rescuing a kitten who got stuck up a tree in our garden.

Chief Uwachiquen

Quote from: NotPublished on December 23, 2009, 08:58:47 AM
What I never got was if they kept saying they were going to kill themselves, wouldn't they of done it already?

From a statistical stand-point A LOT of people who claim that they'll kill themselves do it as a cry for help.

The ones who actually do it, usually, won't give you any more warning than the letter they leave that you'll find next to the body. If they leave one.

Not to like, be like, THIS IS HOW IT ALWAYS IS. It's just what I've gotten from some stuff I've read. Feel free to correct me if I'm way off base. And not trying to downplay the whole thing or offend anyone.

Payne

Quote from: Cain on December 23, 2009, 10:04:40 AM
Apart from breaking my nose, the bloodiest I ever got was from rescuing a kitten who got stuck up a tree in our garden.

My last cat, Streiger, would cut my hands to ribbons when I played with her. She didn't give a fuck about tearing your skin off and was awesome.

My current cat, Chasca, is weak and pitiable. I've only ever seen her draw even a TINY little bit of blood by complete accident. If she was more psychotic, I could let her out to play with the kids.

NotPublished

Quote from: Chief Uwachiquen on December 23, 2009, 12:18:18 PM

From a statistical stand-point A LOT of people who claim that they'll kill themselves do it as a cry for help.

The ones who actually do it, usually, won't give you any more warning than the letter they leave that you'll find next to the body. If they leave one.

Not to like, be like, THIS IS HOW IT ALWAYS IS. It's just what I've gotten from some stuff I've read. Feel free to correct me if I'm way off base. And not trying to downplay the whole thing or offend anyone.

Its always a touchy subject - understood.

Someone I know keeps threatening to kill herself - she traps everyone to give her attention and they keep giving it to her. I have spoken to her repeatedly, and she says she doesn't want help, she enjoys being lost.

Ultmately she is pushing everyone away .. And she says she doesn't want to do it. Damn difficult!

Then she has the nerve to say she doesn't feel like she is loved, then goes and sleeps with 5 guys (all who want to date her)

What do you do in that? Of course I stopped talking to her. But damn, my best friend is trapped and seeking escape; but she is too nice.

NotPublished

Quote from: Payne on December 23, 2009, 12:21:51 PM
Quote from: Cain on December 23, 2009, 10:04:40 AM

My last cat, Streiger, would cut my hands to ribbons when I played with her. She didn't give a fuck about tearing your skin off and was awesome.

My current cat, Chasca, is weak and pitiable. I've only ever seen her draw even a TINY little bit of blood by complete accident. If she was more psychotic, I could let her out to play with the kids.

Haha crap, my old cat had a fascination with legs ... if she saw them, she would claw at them ... If I ran, she would leap with claws out trying to cling onto them.

AFK

Not true.  One of the programs I run, the one that trains the teenagers to be good listeners, has a section on identifying and referring kids with intent to commit suicide.  What we found in our research while putting together the curriculum is that 4 out of 5 teens who attempt suicide give very clear warnings.  I don't know what the figures are for adults but my guess is they would be very similar.  It is actually a rare thing when someone who commits suicide didn't give warnings ahead of time.  The problem is, those warning signs go unrecognized.  Most people who are suicidal don't really want to die.  They want to get rid of emotional pain.  And that's why they give warning signs.  They want someone to help them, but they don't know how to get it otherwise.  Most of these signs show up in the week or two preceding their attempt. 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

President Television

Quote from: Rev. What's-His-Name? on December 23, 2009, 01:51:24 PM
Not true.  One of the programs I run, the one that trains the teenagers to be good listeners, has a section on identifying and referring kids with intent to commit suicide.  What we found in our research while putting together the curriculum is that 4 out of 5 teens who attempt suicide give very clear warnings.  I don't know what the figures are for adults but my guess is they would be very similar.  It is actually a rare thing when someone who commits suicide didn't give warnings ahead of time.  The problem is, those warning signs go unrecognized.  Most people who are suicidal don't really want to die.  They want to get rid of emotional pain.  And that's why they give warning signs.  They want someone to help them, but they don't know how to get it otherwise.  Most of these signs show up in the week or two preceding their attempt. 

That makes a lot of sense to me. When I was suicidal, I kept trying to get people to listen to me and help me out of my depression, but it seemed like they were all oblivious. Fortunately, I found a way to reason my own way out of it. Thanks a lot, mom and Darren, great help you were.   :crankey:
My shit list: Stephen Harper, anarchists that complain about taxes instead of institutionalized torture, those people walking, anyone who lets a single aspect of themselves define their entire personality, salesmen that don't smoke pipes, Fredericton New Brunswick, bigots, philosophy majors, my nemesis, pirates that don't do anything, criminals without class, sociopaths, narcissists, furries, juggalos, foes.

AFK

I was there too.  And my Mom and Dad didn't necessarily see the signs either.  But, I don't blame them.  I mean, there is really a pathetic amount of education and awareness raising when it comes to suicide prevention.  Nobody wants to talk about it.  It's just one of those things our society doesn't want to address in any kind of meaningful way.  Fuck, look at all the soldiers who are coming back from Afghanistan and Iraq who are killing themselves.  It's clear as fuck to me that there is a hole the size of Texas when it comes to suicide prevention in the military.  And with the money they have? 

I'm telling you, if and when these wars finally wrap up, we're going to have massive mental health issues in this country, and there is no infrastructure to deal with it.  I'm getting pissed just thinking about it.  And this is the shit they're cutting back as they balance budgets. 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

President Television

Quote from: Rev. What's-His-Name? on December 23, 2009, 02:55:14 PM
I was there too.  And my Mom and Dad didn't necessarily see the signs either.  But, I don't blame them.  I mean, there is really a pathetic amount of education and awareness raising when it comes to suicide prevention.  Nobody wants to talk about it.  It's just one of those things our society doesn't want to address in any kind of meaningful way.  Fuck, look at all the soldiers who are coming back from Afghanistan and Iraq who are killing themselves.  It's clear as fuck to me that there is a hole the size of Texas when it comes to suicide prevention in the military.  And with the money they have? 

I'm telling you, if and when these wars finally wrap up, we're going to have massive mental health issues in this country, and there is no infrastructure to deal with it.  I'm getting pissed just thinking about it.  And this is the shit they're cutting back as they balance budgets. 

The thing is, a lot of the time people just think you're being melodramatic. That's what I found. And I suppose they're right, but as someone with suicidal tendencies, you don't necessarily see that, and if you do you make it one more reason to hate yourself. It's a disease.
My shit list: Stephen Harper, anarchists that complain about taxes instead of institutionalized torture, those people walking, anyone who lets a single aspect of themselves define their entire personality, salesmen that don't smoke pipes, Fredericton New Brunswick, bigots, philosophy majors, my nemesis, pirates that don't do anything, criminals without class, sociopaths, narcissists, furries, juggalos, foes.

-Kel-

one of Badge's cats almost killed me over thanksgiving. 

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: NotPublished on December 23, 2009, 12:28:40 PM

Its always a touchy subject - understood.

Someone I know keeps threatening to kill herself - she traps everyone to give her attention and they keep giving it to her. I have spoken to her repeatedly, and she says she doesn't want help, she enjoys being lost.

Ultmately she is pushing everyone away .. And she says she doesn't want to do it. Damn difficult!

Then she has the nerve to say she doesn't feel like she is loved, then goes and sleeps with 5 guys (all who want to date her)

What do you do in that? Of course I stopped talking to her. But damn, my best friend is trapped and seeking escape; but she is too nice.

http://askdoctorkevorkian.com
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: BAI on December 23, 2009, 08:15:03 AM
Save money on razor blades and cheer yourself up at the same time: buy a kitten!

You'll get just as cut up, and the kittens savage antics will provide hours of entertainment.

A REAL emo would buy a goldfish.  Then when it dies a few weeks later, they can sit in the dark for hours writing poems about mortality while listening to MCR.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Chief Uwachiquen

Quote from: Rev. What's-His-Name? on December 23, 2009, 02:55:14 PM

Yeah. A friend of mine is in the military and he was talking about how a LOT of soldiers this time around are coming home with PTSD. He was driving home one night and his girlfriend and his mother ended up behind him by chance and were following him home. He saw them following, made several fucked up turns and, when they continued to follow, stopped the car, grabbed his hand-gun, got out of the car, crouched low and pointed it at the car as he was yelling because he was so freaked out by being followed. Nothing happened aside from scaring the piss out of everyone involved but he was saying that it's a fairly common problem among soldiers these days.