News:

So essentially, the enemy of my enemy is not my friend, he's just another moronic, entitled turd in the bucket.

Main Menu

Sometimes it's nice to hear about very religious people who are righteous.

Started by Freeky, August 10, 2012, 11:03:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Freeky

http://www.newser.com/article/da0inoc01/us-nuns-facing-vatican-order-to-reform-quash-dissent-will-hold-talks-with-church-leaders.html

QuoteAn American nuns group rebuked by the Vatican said Friday it would hold talks with the bishops appointed to overhaul the organization but would not "compromise its mission."

QuoteThe St. Louis meeting was the group's first national gathering since a Vatican review concluded the sisters had "serious doctrinal problems" and promoted "certain radical feminist themes" that undermine Catholic teaching on all-male priesthood, birth control and homosexuality. The nuns also were accused of remaining nearly silent in the fight against abortion.

QuoteAfter the Second Vatican Council of the 1960s, many religious sisters shed their habits and traditional roles as they sought to more fully engage the modern world. The nuns said prayer and Christ remained central to their work as they focused increasingly on Catholic social justice teaching, such as fighting poverty and advocating for civil rights.

I mean, it might not be as awesome as it sounds, but it goes a long way to making me think that just because a person is some kind of Christian doesn't automatically mean that they're assholes.

the last yatto

Here in the NW there's two churches that refused to let the knights pentiton during service to repeal the gays right to marry
Look, asshole:  Your 'incomprehensible' act, your word-salad, your pinealism...It BORES ME.  I've been incomprehensible for so long, I TEACH IT TO MBA CANDIDATES.  So if you simply MUST talk about your pineal gland or happy children dancing in the wildflowers, go talk to Roger, because he digs that kind of shit

Anna Mae Bollocks

Quote from: Freeky Queen of DERP on August 10, 2012, 11:03:43 PM
http://www.newser.com/article/da0inoc01/us-nuns-facing-vatican-order-to-reform-quash-dissent-will-hold-talks-with-church-leaders.html

QuoteAn American nuns group rebuked by the Vatican said Friday it would hold talks with the bishops appointed to overhaul the organization but would not "compromise its mission."

QuoteThe St. Louis meeting was the group's first national gathering since a Vatican review concluded the sisters had "serious doctrinal problems" and promoted "certain radical feminist themes" that undermine Catholic teaching on all-male priesthood, birth control and homosexuality. The nuns also were accused of remaining nearly silent in the fight against abortion.

QuoteAfter the Second Vatican Council of the 1960s, many religious sisters shed their habits and traditional roles as they sought to more fully engage the modern world. The nuns said prayer and Christ remained central to their work as they focused increasingly on Catholic social justice teaching, such as fighting poverty and advocating for civil rights.

I mean, it might not be as awesome as it sounds, but it goes a long way to making me think that just because a person is some kind of Christian doesn't automatically mean that they're assholes.

Let's make a list!  :)

1) Those nuns

2)Johnny Cash

3)...uhhh... :?
Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division

Freeky

Quote from: TEXAS FAIRIES FOR ALL YOU SPAGS on August 11, 2012, 01:17:22 AM

1) Those nuns

2)Johnny Cash

It's important to remember that those nuns represent 52,000 Roman Catholic nuns, and only in America.

Also, I met a really religious person who was pretty righteous.  She ended up changing her stance on gay marriage, I think, while I was briefly in contact with her.

Anna Mae Bollocks

Quote from: Freeky Queen of DERP on August 11, 2012, 01:33:47 AM
Quote from: TEXAS FAIRIES FOR ALL YOU SPAGS on August 11, 2012, 01:17:22 AM

1) Those nuns

2)Johnny Cash

It's important to remember that those nuns represent 52,000 Roman Catholic nuns, and only in America.

Also, I met a really religious person who was pretty righteous.  She ended up changing her stance on gay marriage, I think, while I was briefly in contact with her.

It would be nice to see a big old backlash against the christonauts. Not holding my breath, though.

East Coast Hustle

Painting a group as large and diverse as "christians" with a broad brush makes about as much sense as doing that to any huge and diverse group of people all over the world does, IMO. Better to treat people as people, no matter what kind of uniform they're insisting on. Even the shitty ones, as ignoring the uniform in favor of the individual tends to really get under their skin.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Anna Mae Bollocks

Quote from: Echo Chamber Music on August 11, 2012, 02:02:24 AM
Painting a group as large and diverse as "christians" with a broad brush makes about as much sense as doing that to any huge and diverse group of people all over the world does.

I said "christonauts". The fire-breathing dinosaur people.  :lol:

East Coast Hustle

Oh, I wasn't really responding to you or Freeky specifically, just offering my thoughts on the subject in general.

And yeah, HUGE difference between "christian" and "christonaut". Sadly, I think the latter type tends to be more active and persistent in seeking out positions in christendom that offer them a voice and/or leadership.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Freeky

Quote from: Echo Chamber Music on August 11, 2012, 02:02:24 AM
Painting a group as large and diverse as "christians" with a broad brush makes about as much sense as doing that to any huge and diverse group of people all over the world does, IMO. Better to treat people as people, no matter what kind of uniform they're insisting on. Even the shitty ones, as ignoring the uniform in favor of the individual tends to really get under their skin.

I definitely agree, but it's hard to remember with all the noisy assholes around.

Cain

The Catholic Church has been having large doctrinal issues in North America for years - Jesuits and Nuns feature heavily in these issues.

But beyond writing little declarations of "ur doin it rong", they don't actually really care.  All the real work is going on in Africa, and the African Catholics are far more socially conservative.  Prospects for conversion are better too, so while American Catholics agitate around the margins, the Vatican will stack the deck with African bishops and cardinals.

Game, set and match.

Forsooth

Quote from: Cain on August 11, 2012, 04:42:51 PM
The Catholic Church has been having large doctrinal issues in North America for years - Jesuits and Nuns feature heavily in these issues.

But beyond writing little declarations of "ur doin it rong", they don't actually really care.  All the real work is going on in Africa, and the African Catholics are far more socially conservative.  Prospects for conversion are better too, so while American Catholics agitate around the margins, the Vatican will stack the deck with African bishops and cardinals.

Game, set and match.
It's a smart investment on their part; if they are continuously and successfully convincing people in Africa to not use BC then they technically just have to wait until the adherent populations and tithing revenues catch up to amounts elsewhere in the world, then the Vatican can really start to not give  two shakes of a thorny crown what the Americas do.

AFK

I know tons of cool Christians and tons who are asshats, but I can say the same thing about lawyers, Democrats, bakers, and Discordians.  Among many, many other subsets of peoples.
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Forsooth on August 11, 2012, 05:57:59 PM
Quote from: Cain on August 11, 2012, 04:42:51 PM

Game, set and match.
It's a smart investment on their part; if they are continuously and successfully convincing people in Africa to not use BC then they technically just have to wait until the adherent populations and tithing revenues catch up to amounts elsewhere in the world, then the Vatican can really start to not give  two shakes of a thorny crown what the Americas do.

I find this post woefully, depressingly ignorant of reality of what's happening in Africa. Do me a favor and read up on it before you post again.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."