News:

PD.com: The most patriotic board in America - jointly run by an Australian, an Irishman, a filthy Dutchman, a Canadian and some guy from the West Indies.

Main Menu

GOP slaps dems around, cites Holder, democrats deliver empty gesture in response

Started by The Good Reverend Roger, June 28, 2012, 10:22:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Golden Applesauce

I'm an ignoramus - but what does citing Holder for contempt actually do? Election year politics, obviously - but does this damage the executive branch's ability to function or is it more of a symbolic gesture? Does Holder get criminally charged now, and if so, who prosecutes the Attorney General?

While this is clearly election year power-politics, isn't it also +1 for government transparency? Executive privileges sounds like a really fishy reason to hide something related to the US government delivering guns to drug cartels.
Q: How regularly do you hire 8th graders?
A: We have hired a number of FORMER 8th graders.

00.dusk

Quote from: Golden Applesauce on June 29, 2012, 02:58:01 AM
I'm an ignoramus - but what does citing Holder for contempt actually do? Election year politics, obviously - but does this damage the executive branch's ability to function or is it more of a symbolic gesture? Does Holder get criminally charged now, and if so, who prosecutes the Attorney General?

While this is clearly election year power-politics, isn't it also +1 for government transparency? Executive privileges sounds like a really fishy reason to hide something related to the US government delivering guns to drug cartels.

Judging by the way things have been going, I'd assume it'll be a +1 for government transparency where it suits the government to be transparent.

So, +1 for them to do the same old bullshit.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Golden Applesauce on June 29, 2012, 02:58:01 AM

1.  It can put you in prison.

2.  Last administration, Bush & Cheney told congress to go choke on a dick.  "We'll testify, but not under oath".  The democrat congress said "okay", looked at their feet, and kicked the dust a little.  This isn't "transparency", it's the GOP smacking the dems around for cheap kicks.

3.  The timing is interesting.  2 hours after the court ruled on ACA, they hit Holder with the contempt charge.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

tyrannosaurus vex

Holder has also been stepping on the GOP's voter suppression efforts.
Evil and Unfeeling Arse-Flenser From The City of the Damned.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: v3x on June 29, 2012, 02:58:01 PM
Holder has also been stepping on the GOP's voter suppression efforts.

Yep.  He's not a saint, mind you, but at least he isn't Janet Reno or Alberto Gonzales.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Suu

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on June 28, 2012, 10:27:46 PM
Quote from: Iron Twiddleton on June 28, 2012, 10:26:22 PM
Knocking off work early- how your congressman gets shit done.

Im convinced that politicians are high schoolers with high paying part time jobs.

I'm convinced that the democratic party is that fat kid in high school that gets his ass kicked every day, and never lifts a finger to defend himself...Telling himself that pacifism is the "moral" thing to do, when in fact, he just helplessly gets his ass kicked.

This.
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."