News:

It's not laughter if you're just going through the muscle movements you remember from the times you actually gave a fuck.

Main Menu

Twid's spiritual exploration thingie.

Started by Nephew Twiddleton, June 27, 2013, 06:58:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nephew Twiddleton

Anyway, one of the interesting things to note about the Abrahamic God. Sometimes refers to himself in the plural. Early parts of the Torah seem to indicate some sort of henotheism (polytheism, with a bit of, my god is better than.... your god) that at some point switched to hard monotheism. Yahweh  is the ONLY god. Interesting, that. I might have to reflect on that a bit. Why is that discrepancy there?
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: LuciferX on November 25, 2013, 07:47:10 AM
Quote from: Doktor Blight on November 25, 2013, 07:44:46 AM
Quote from: LuciferX on November 25, 2013, 06:18:46 AM
Quote from: Doktor Blight on November 25, 2013, 05:03:39 AM
Re: as to whether God interacts with people, since my perspective, especially in light of my apparent revelation, that we are in fact one with God, yes, It partakes in human affairs, sometimes from a human perspective, sometimes from a non-human perspective. I guess it would be apt to say I view God as an [divine] emergent property of life. God coevolves with level of sentience available in the Universe, since God is inherently the soul of the Universe, and not the Creator of it.
I like this.  Still leaves room for the Spirit and perhaps a vagrant Prime Mover, as well.  Much more accommodating this way, thank you  :lulz:

You're welcome?

Twid's,
spiritual exploration thingie
:lulz: wait, youz haz vacancy too?  :lulz:

Ferx,

I have no idea what you're talking about here. No seriously. I'm at the point where I can understand hirley0 and I don't know what you mean here.

Nephew Twiddleton

I probably would have just acknowledged your original comment if it didn't have a  :lulz:

minuspace

Forgive the joke, it was just an attempt at psycho-sycophancy.  On a more serious note.  Reading back to the personal experience "to stop worrying and start worrying" (about concern), it's awesome how effortlessly (with benign indifference) it is communicated, and how loudly the subsequent silence still does speak :)

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: LuciferX on November 25, 2013, 08:04:54 AM
Forgive the joke, it was just an attempt at psycho-sycophancy.  On a more serious note.  Reading back to the personal experience "to stop worrying and start worrying" (about concern), it's awesome how effortlessly (with benign indifference) it is communicated, and how loudly the subsequent silence still does speak :)

Actually, I took that as bit of comfort that I wasn't going (at least totally) crazy, was that God said what I needed to hear and then continued to ignore me, like he is wont to do.

minuspace

Quote from: Doktor Blight on November 25, 2013, 08:07:36 AM
Quote from: LuciferX on November 25, 2013, 08:04:54 AM

Actually, I took that as bit of comfort that I wasn't going (at least totally) crazy, was that God said what I needed to hear and then continued to ignore me, like he is wont to do.

True, although the most comforting is how you cannot actually forget what was said, or altogether ignore having had that experience...  Ever again :wink: 

Mistre

Quote from: Doktor Blight on November 25, 2013, 07:50:12 AM
Anyway, one of the interesting things to note about the Abrahamic God. Sometimes refers to himself in the plural. Early parts of the Torah seem to indicate some sort of henotheism (polytheism, with a bit of, my god is better than.... your god) that at some point switched to hard monotheism. Yahweh  is the ONLY god. Interesting, that. I might have to reflect on that a bit. Why is that discrepancy there?

I don't know about that, but originally, the religion of the Jewish tribes was polytheistic. Every family had their god for who they prayed, but Yahweh was above them all. I don't know why it changed, or why Yahweh <personally> referred to himself in the plural. Maybe something to do with the Holy Ghost? I can't answer 100% sure.

G'luck on your spiritual exploration.
Uber Supreme Poobah of Pope-Groping™

He who acknowledges his own inability to answer a question is wise, he who does not seek one is stupid.

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Mistre on November 26, 2013, 05:30:16 AM

I don't know about that, but originally, the religion of the Jewish tribes was polytheistic. Every family had their god for who they prayed, but Yahweh was above them all. I don't know why it changed, or why Yahweh <personally> referred to himself in the plural. Maybe something to do with the Holy Ghost? I can't answer 100% sure.

G'luck on your spiritual exploration.

That would have been a question for before Yom Kippur, when I was Catholic.

Interesting thought, that though, and thank you.

Nephew Twiddleton

"Thou shalt have no gods before me" rather than "I am the One True God." but suspiciously similar to, "Your primary worship is directed towards me."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

There would be no question of other gods, if there was only one god. JUST SAYIN THE OBS.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

There are a lot of questions about how mono/polytheistic the original Jewish faith was. And there is some question about exactly how to properly translate the First Commandment. It can be read as supporting polytheism, but it can also be read to mean that the Jews were not to interact or pay respect to the gods of the nations around them. Its very difficult to know for sure and there are arguments on both sides. Sadly the arguments hinge on how Jews worshiped before the region was sacked by Babylon, and from the archaeological record we have no evidence that there was an Israel or a united Jewish Kingdom during that time leaving it all as conjecture.

Some Christian faiths claim that 'gods' included all spiritual beings (God, Archangels, other angels, Satan, demons etc). So if an Angel showed up with a message from God you would show him respect, but not venerate him above God. In a couple stories in the Bible, angels actually tell the humans to stop when they bow before them.
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

minuspace

Quote from: Mistre on November 26, 2013, 05:30:16 AM

I don't know why it changed, or why Yahweh <personally> referred to himself in the plural. Maybe something to do with the Holy Ghost? I can't answer 100% sure.

Jes lica mun. Dat bee de dirty tree OV tree-nitty een jah - undah wot bee all de tings - braize jah

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Bebek Sincap Ratatosk on November 26, 2013, 01:00:18 PM
In a couple stories in the Bible, angels actually tell the humans to stop when they bow before them.

Well, it's just fucking embarrassing.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

minuspace

Quote from: Radagast's Red Velvet Pancake Puppies on November 27, 2013, 03:12:59 AM
Quote from: Bebek Sincap Ratatosk on November 26, 2013, 01:00:18 PM
In a couple stories in the Bible, angels actually tell the humans to stop when they bow before them.

Well, it's just fucking embarrassing.
Tell me about it...  The trick is to jump on their shoulders just as they get up, and then declare a jousting competition, oh my, good times :lulz:

LMNO

The true story of Israel, ITT

LMNO
-Twid should get the joke.