News:

It's funny how the position for boot-licking is so close to the one used for curb-stomping.

Main Menu

Music Discussion (fair warning): Your Top 10 albums.

Started by AFK, December 11, 2009, 08:45:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Triple Zero

Quote from: LMNO on December 14, 2009, 01:21:13 PM
Brian Eno - Taking Tiger Mountain (by Strategy) [this just narrowly edged out "Here Come The Warm Jets"]

other Eno albums I need to check, then. Even though I love ambient, I still can't get myself to liking his stuff...

QuoteKraftwerk - The Man Machine

It was a hard choice between this one and The Mix ... on the one hand this is the classic oldskool Kraftwerk sound, but I went for The Mix because I"m just much more likely to play that album when I want to enjoy some Kraftwerk.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

-Kel-

ok this is for just right now in space and time.

1- Pixies- Surfa Rosa
2- Cake- Comfort Eagle (anything by cake is in my top ten)
3- De-Phazz- Natural Fake
4- C-mon and Kypski - Where the Wild Things Are
5- Infect Mushroom - Vicious Delicious
6- Muse - The Resistance
7- Nine Inch Nails - The Downward Spiral bonus Disk
8- Yeah Yeah Yeahs - Its Blitz!
9- The Beatles - Abbey Road
10- Peaches - I Feel Cream

LMNO

Ah, crap.  I forgot Big Black's "Songs About Fucking".

And 000, those two albums are part of his Glam Rock "Idiot Energy" phase.  A few tracks point to his ambient stuff later, but a good chuck of them are like Roxy Music, but a lot weirder.

Triple Zero

Well, that actually sounds promising, in the sense that it won't be much like what I've heard so far then :)
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Rumckle

May I also suggest 801, a band that lasted for about 3 live shows, containing Brian Eno and Phil Manzarez (or however you spell it). They essentially did covers of Eno and Roxy Music songs. Worth listening to IMO.
It's not trolling, it's just satire.

LMNO

Better suggestion is the band that contained Eno, John Cale, and Nico.

Srsly.

Freeky

I can't decide on albums, or even songs, that make my top 10 list, so here is the first ten songs on the CD I just burned:

1. Save Us Now - Edguy
2. Mirror, Mirror (Live) - Blind Guardian
3. Dr. Stein (Remixed) - Helloween
4. Accident of Birth - Bruce Dickinson
5. Ride The Sky (Remixed) - Helloween
6. Cossak Patrol - Ivan Rebroff
7. Cotton Eye Joe 2002 - Rednex
8. Dragostea Din Tea - O-Zone
9. Vain Glory Opera - Edguy
10. Fairytale - Edguy

East Coast Hustle

Blind Guardian :lulz:

I think they're terrible, but I still like them. I like them even more, in fact, because they're D&D Metal and completely 100% serious about it.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Bu🤠ns

Quote from: LMNO on December 14, 2009, 01:21:13 PM
Tom Waits - Frank's Wild Years

This is BY FAR one of the best Waits albums.  I'll still be doing something and a random track from that album will blow through my head.

rong

holy shit - i can't believe i forgot all about "Weird" Al Yankovic - Dare to be Stupid
that definitely belongs in my top ten.
"a real smart feller, he felt smart"

LMNO

AFK

An album that for me was just on the outside looking in was the Parallels album by Fates Warning.  A prog-metal band that actually knows how to show off their quirky time signatures and technical prowess but also write and compose memorable songs with some heart to them.  Parallels was certainly one of their lighter albums sound-wise, but I think they were able to accomplish something similar to what Pink Floyd accomplished on Dark Side of the Moon.  Which was to have this moody undercurrent that just tied the whole thing together.

Oh, and also, Mark Zonder is a percussion god.  Mike Portnoy has nothing on him. 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

hooplala

in no real order:

Captain Beefheart - Spotlight Kid

David Bowie - Low

Frank Zappa - One Size Fits All

Stooges - Funhouse

Velvet Underground - White Light/White Heat

Nico - Marble Index

Pink Floyd - Animals

Led Zeppelin - III

Tom Waits - Frank's Wild Years

Beck - Odelay

Cocorosie - La Maison de Mon Rêve

"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Freeky

Quote from: Rip City Hustle on December 15, 2009, 06:52:49 AM
Blind Guardian :lulz:

I think they're terrible, but I still like them. I like them even more, in fact, because they're D&D Metal and completely 100% serious about it.

I know, right?  I haven't listened to much by them, I just like a couple of their songs so far.

New Top 10

Wu Tang Clan - 36 Chambers
The Last Poets - This is Madness
Laurie Anderson - Big Science
Herbie Hancock - CoreaHancock
The Better Beatles - S/T
Whitehouse - Birth/Death Experience
Gary Numan - The Pleasure Principle
Anal Cunt - Everyone Should Be Killed
Bone Thugz N' Harmony - East 1999
Sam Cooke - Night Beat