Slow Time in Fat City™, part 7: There is no subjective reality.

Started by Doktor Howl, September 20, 2010, 05:58:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Adios

Quote from: Doktor Howl on September 21, 2010, 06:52:07 PM
Quote from: Charley Brown on September 21, 2010, 06:48:50 PM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on September 21, 2010, 06:45:29 PM
Quote from: Charley Brown on September 21, 2010, 06:41:33 PM
Mmmmm Hmmmm.

Well, I'm just a simple country boy. We learn at an early age to avoid shit like that. Perception is trumped by pain every time.

Charley, you'll never be an Intellectual™.   :lol:

Thank fucking god. Intellectuals talk funny, they always like to repeat words like I I I I I, well well well well. My perception is they think it makes them look smart.

Well, here's the scoop...They're on one side, hanging out of their precariously leaning ivory tower, spouting perception.  On the other side, you have the know-nothings screeching their perceptions.

Good luck.

Fuck. That's depressing. True as hell, but still depressing.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Eater of Clowns on September 20, 2010, 08:53:18 PM
You're going to hate me for this, Dok.   :)

True enough.

I'm standing at the corner of a busy street with my 70 year old neighbor.  A car goes by and she says "Wow that car is really going fast," whereas I see a car going, yes, faster than other cars, but not necessarily stupidly fast. 

Perception.

Nobody is arguing that the train isn't there, or that it can harm you by standing in its path.  Those would be reality.  If it came to discussing the train being filthy inside, or just untidy, that would be an interpretation of reality. 

Perception and utterly irrelevant.

But what the fuck.
Molon Lube

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Charley Brown on September 21, 2010, 06:55:16 PM
Mmmmm Hmmmm.

Well, I'm just a simple country boy. We learn at an early age to avoid shit like that. Perception is trumped by pain every time.

Thank fucking god. Intellectuals talk funny, they always like to repeat words like I I I I I, well well well well. My perception is they think it makes them look smart.

Well, here's the scoop...They're on one side, hanging out of their precariously leaning ivory tower, spouting perception.  On the other side, you have the know-nothings screeching their perceptions.

Good luck.

Welcome to the planet of the retarded apes.  Don't bother trying to help them, they'll kill you for it.  Or just accuse you of ranting just to get mittens.

Just get your giggles in as they tear the place down.

Dok,
Just a little bitter.
Molon Lube

Eater of Clowns

Alright, I thought I was done in this thread, but apparently all that means is I'm going to get ridiculed.  Apparently I did a poor job of getting myself across.

Roger, at no point, in any of my posts, have I disagreed with or corrected anything you said in the OP.  I'm not arguing that how someone perceives reality changes it.  What I was attempting to do is contribute to the thread, constructively, which I am still hoping can be done.

So I will try again:

Reality, as Roger stated, is not subjective.  I agree with that, and stated so in my posts.  Perceptions of reality, whether you want to call them reality filters or grids, are subjective.

So at the end of the OP, Dok states that a fundamental error people make about this is that it somehow doesn't apply to themselves.  I was arguing that this is true, and adding that people also mistake their perception of reality for reality itself.  This doesn't change reality because as has been established, reality is not subjective.  But when people think that their screwy grids are the non-subjective reality, it becomes a trap.

That is really all.
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

Adios

Quote from: Doktor Howl on September 21, 2010, 06:59:03 PM
Quote from: Charley Brown on September 21, 2010, 06:55:16 PM
Mmmmm Hmmmm.

Good luck.

Welcome to the planet of the retarded apes.  Don't bother trying to help them, they'll kill you for it.  Or just accuse you of ranting just to get mittens.

Just get your giggles in as they tear the place down.

Dok,
Just a little bitter.

I'm good with that, just so long as The Reality Cabal™ is stocked up on the good whiskey and scotch.

LMNO

Quote from: Doktor Howl on September 21, 2010, 06:53:22 PM
Quote from: Doktor Alphapance on September 21, 2010, 06:39:32 PM
Where's the "TGRR as Freight Train" emote when you really need it?

It's still there, in the hidden group (why some emotes are hidden are beyond me).  But I'm not the freight train, anymore.  One's coming, though, so you'd best decide what color it is.  It's the only way to be safe.

If I can tell how fast it's going, it will no longer have a location, only a probability.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Eater of Clowns on September 21, 2010, 07:02:29 PM
Alright, I thought I was done in this thread, but apparently all that means is I'm going to get ridiculed.  Apparently I did a poor job of getting myself across.

Roger, at no point, in any of my posts, have I disagreed with or corrected anything you said in the OP.  I'm not arguing that how someone perceives reality changes it.  What I was attempting to do is contribute to the thread, constructively, which I am still hoping can be done.

So I will try again:

Reality, as Roger stated, is not subjective.  I agree with that, and stated so in my posts.  Perceptions of reality, whether you want to call them reality filters or grids, are subjective.

So at the end of the OP, Dok states that a fundamental error people make about this is that it somehow doesn't apply to themselves.  I was arguing that this is true, and adding that people also mistake their perception of reality for reality itself.  This doesn't change reality because as has been established, reality is not subjective.  But when people think that their screwy grids are the non-subjective reality, it becomes a trap.

That is really all.

SORRY.  I ONLY RESPOND TO MITTENS.

DOK,
EMOTE WHORE
Molon Lube

Adios

I thought you responded to wild women, fast horses and good whiskey. At the end of the day those are all that matter.

Eater of Clowns

Quote from: Doktor Howl on September 20, 2010, 09:02:24 PM

Reality is not subjective, and I imagine here it's being used in the same vein as The Truth and other capital letters.  Interpretation of reality, which I think taps into one of your previous series regarding reality filters (or grids to go by Principia Discordia terminology) is highly subjective.  I'm standing at the corner of a busy street with my 70 year old neighbor.  A car goes by and she says "Wow that car is really going fast," whereas I see a car going, yes, faster than other cars, but not necessarily stupidly fast.  That's the subjective interpretation that gets conflated with actual reality.

So you have this anarchist or libertarian who sees their ideas propagated amongts like minded friends or forums, or in their various holy texts.  Otherwise, maybe it's a Discordian, a Tea Partier, any individual who self identifies with a group or movement like we do and like all people do.  Suddenly their insular environment cements their interpretations as fact, and we have just as strong, if not a stronger filter to work through because this one was molded off the idea that we are without filters.

I CHOOSE NOT TO INTERPRET THAT SOUTHBOUND FREIGHT TRAIN, AS I LIKE STANDING ON THE TRACKS.

UNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNG!

This is where the comment about mittens came from, Dok.  You replied mocking something I wasn't even saying.  So yeah, it pretty much clues me in that you aren't interested discussing your post.  

I really don't know where the animosity came from that you assumed I meant the worst for you.  Like I said yesterday, I was under the impression we had some kind of mutual respect.  I respect you, but instead, I get treated like some asshole you're now accusing of a bunch of things that aren't even true.

Oh, and the ivory tower thing, really.   :lulz:  You know, and I will inform Charley too, that I work at a fucking jail.  You have even ridden in my shitty '98 Honda Civic.  If I'm in an ivory tower that's one small fucking tower.

EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

Adios

Quote from: Eater of Clowns on September 21, 2010, 07:13:00 PM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on September 20, 2010, 09:02:24 PM

Reality is not subjective, and I imagine here it's being used in the same vein as The Truth and other capital letters.  Interpretation of reality, which I think taps into one of your previous series regarding reality filters (or grids to go by Principia Discordia terminology) is highly subjective.  I'm standing at the corner of a busy street with my 70 year old neighbor.  A car goes by and she says "Wow that car is really going fast," whereas I see a car going, yes, faster than other cars, but not necessarily stupidly fast.  That's the subjective interpretation that gets conflated with actual reality.

So you have this anarchist or libertarian who sees their ideas propagated amongts like minded friends or forums, or in their various holy texts.  Otherwise, maybe it's a Discordian, a Tea Partier, any individual who self identifies with a group or movement like we do and like all people do.  Suddenly their insular environment cements their interpretations as fact, and we have just as strong, if not a stronger filter to work through because this one was molded off the idea that we are without filters.

I CHOOSE NOT TO INTERPRET THAT SOUTHBOUND FREIGHT TRAIN, AS I LIKE STANDING ON THE TRACKS.

UNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNG!

This is where the comment about mittens came from, Dok.  You replied mocking something I wasn't even saying.  So yeah, it pretty much clues me in that you aren't interested discussing your post.  

I really don't know where the animosity came from that you assumed I meant the worst for you.  Like I said yesterday, I was under the impression we had some kind of mutual respect.  I respect you, but instead, I get treated like some asshole you're now accusing of a bunch of things that aren't even true.

Oh, and the ivory tower thing, really.   :lulz:  You know, and I will inform Charley too, that I work at a fucking jail.  You have even ridden in my shitty '98 Honda Civic.  If I'm in an ivory tower that's one small fucking tower.

Why are you dragging me into this?

Eater of Clowns

Quote from: Charley Brown on September 21, 2010, 07:14:29 PM

Not my intention.  It was pretty clear to me that Dok was trying to call me some kind of ivory tower pseudo-intellectual, and I wanted to just state that no, I am not, I'm a fucking Dispatcher who went to a state school.

EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

LMNO

I'm an office cog and a drummer, and didn't go to a "real" college, but you better believe I'm an Ivory Tower pseudo-intellectual.

Granted, I'm trying to get better, but still....

Adios

Quote from: Eater of Clowns on September 21, 2010, 07:16:46 PM
Quote from: Charley Brown on September 21, 2010, 07:14:29 PM

Not my intention.  It was pretty clear to me that Dok was trying to call me some kind of ivory tower pseudo-intellectual, and I wanted to just state that no, I am not, I'm a fucking Dispatcher who went to a state school.

My perception is that you were.  :lol:

"and I will inform Charley too"

Adios

Quote from: Doktor Alphapance on September 21, 2010, 07:20:41 PM
I'm an office cog and a drummer, and didn't go to a "real" college, but you better believe I'm an Ivory Tower pseudo-intellectual.

Granted, I'm trying to get better, but still....

My hero is the guy who wrote "Don't squat with yer spurs on."

City women walk way around me, but Gretchen Wilson made eyes at me during her concert.

It's good to be me.

Adios