News:

We can't help you...in fact, we're part of the problem.

Main Menu

Slow Time in Fat City™, part 7: There is no subjective reality.

Started by Doktor Howl, September 20, 2010, 05:58:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Eater of Clowns on September 21, 2010, 07:13:00 PM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on September 20, 2010, 09:02:24 PM
Quote from: Eater of Clowns on September 20, 2010, 08:53:18 PM
You're going to hate me for this, Dok.   :)

Reality is not subjective, and I imagine here it's being used in the same vein as The Truth and other capital letters.  Interpretation of reality, which I think taps into one of your previous series regarding reality filters (or grids to go by Principia Discordia terminology) is highly subjective.  I'm standing at the corner of a busy street with my 70 year old neighbor.  A car goes by and she says "Wow that car is really going fast," whereas I see a car going, yes, faster than other cars, but not necessarily stupidly fast.  That's the subjective interpretation that gets conflated with actual reality.

So you have this anarchist or libertarian who sees their ideas propagated amongts like minded friends or forums, or in their various holy texts.  Otherwise, maybe it's a Discordian, a Tea Partier, any individual who self identifies with a group or movement like we do and like all people do.  Suddenly their insular environment cements their interpretations as fact, and we have just as strong, if not a stronger filter to work through because this one was molded off the idea that we are without filters.

I CHOOSE NOT TO INTERPRET THAT SOUTHBOUND FREIGHT TRAIN, AS I LIKE STANDING ON THE TRACKS.

UNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNG!

This is where the comment about mittens came from, Dok.  You replied mocking something I wasn't even saying.  So yeah, it pretty much clues me in that you aren't interested discussing your post.  

I really don't know where the animosity came from that you assumed I meant the worst for you.  Like I said yesterday, I was under the impression we had some kind of mutual respect.  I respect you, but instead, I get treated like some asshole you're now accusing of a bunch of things that aren't even true.

Oh, and the ivory tower thing, really.   :lulz:  You know, and I will inform Charley too, that I work at a fucking jail.  You have even ridden in my shitty '98 Honda Civic.  If I'm in an ivory tower that's one small fucking tower.

"UNNNG" isn't there to point out an idiot.  It's there to point out idiocy.  Are you suggesting that you, me, or anyone else is smart all the time?  I know sure as hell that I'm not.

On the other hand, all the ranting I've done for the last 8 years was purely based on a need for emotes.  No, really.  I had no higher purpose whatsoever, I wasn't trying to communicate a damn thing, or put forth any ideas at all.  I simply crave mittens.

And that's why someone else can do the ranting from now on.  That was the absolute fucking limit.
Molon Lube

Adios

:mittens:

I swear to god I tried not to. I fought the urge until sweat was dripping from my balls.

I am a very bad person.

Doktor Howl

Molon Lube

Eater of Clowns

Dok, I realize I'm not brilliant all the time, some of the time, or even at all.  I just don't get how what I was saying was idiocy and needed to apparently be disregarded.  The two ideas aren't incongruous.

I used the train metaphor you came up with to clarify what I meant in the difference between perception and reality.  I know you understand the difference, so the whole filthy inside of the train thing was to point out that I knew the difference as well and intended to, from the beginning, convey that not everyone did.

So yeah, I threw the mittens comment at you because it's precisely the same complete disregard that you'd already expressed toward me in this thread.  I'll fess up to that.  Ook fucking ook.

Quote from: Charley Brown on September 21, 2010, 07:21:44 PM
My perception is that you were.  :lol:

"and I will inform Charley too"

:argh!: You scamp.

Quote from: Doktor Alphapance on September 21, 2010, 07:20:41 PM
I'm an office cog and a drummer, and didn't go to a "real" college, but you better believe I'm an Ivory Tower pseudo-intellectual.

Granted, I'm trying to get better, but still....

I'd drop the Ivory Tower and pseudo.  I think you're a legit intellectual, in the non-insulting sense.
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Eater of Clowns on September 21, 2010, 08:29:57 PM
So yeah, I threw the mittens comment at you because it's precisely the same complete disregard that you'd already expressed toward me in this thread.  I'll fess up to that.  Ook fucking ook.

I'm sorry you can't distinguish between yourself and a badly-worded argument.

Why are we still talking to each other, again?
Molon Lube

Adios

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Charley Brown on September 21, 2010, 08:37:28 PM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on September 21, 2010, 08:11:49 PM
Now the thread is complete.

Please tell me that didn't piss you off.

What?  No.

I was using it as a vehicle to once again express my hatred at the comment made by EoC, and how fucking pissed off I am.  Not that it matters, because he has since explained that it was intentional.
Molon Lube

Adios

Quote from: Doktor Howl on September 21, 2010, 08:41:36 PM
Quote from: Charley Brown on September 21, 2010, 08:37:28 PM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on September 21, 2010, 08:11:49 PM
Now the thread is complete.

Please tell me that didn't piss you off.

What?  No.

I was using it as a vehicle to once again express my hatred at the comment made by EoC, and how fucking pissed off I am.  Not that it matters, because he has since explained that it was intentional.

Whew.

Adios

And I will say EoC, that the comment about mittens was pretty harsh. Dok puts a lot of work in his stuff, and what he wants is intelligent conversation back.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Charley Brown on September 21, 2010, 08:51:41 PM
And I will say EoC, that the comment about mittens was pretty harsh. Dok puts a lot of work in his stuff, and what he wants is intelligent conversation back.

No, actually, that's what I wanted.  Now I'm happy in Apple Talk.
Molon Lube

Eater of Clowns

Quote from: Doktor Howl on September 21, 2010, 08:32:29 PM
Quote from: Eater of Clowns on September 21, 2010, 08:29:57 PM

I'm sorry you can't distinguish between yourself and a badly-worded argument.

Why are we still talking to each other, again?

Well it's simple.  It's the reaction that one "badly-worded argument" garnished.  Instead of assuming that I'm not trying to fuck up your thread and, until the mittens comment, hadn't been attacking you, you proclaimed that I apparently wasn't getting it and was actually being too much of an idiot to get it.  I don't know what in our interactions together has made you think that I'm either intentionally fucking with your shit or meant any disrespect at all in what I was saying, but you're apparently seeing something I'm not.

I don't know why you're still talking to me, but I can tell you why I'm still talking to you.  I mean, aside from the fact that you're mocking me in a thread I tried to back out of before it got out of hand, or the fact that you directly accused me of retiring you from ranting.  I'm still talking because I don't see the need for two people who really aren't so wildly beyond one another's point of view to consider each other enemies.

You're still clinging to the ideas that either I'm too stupid, you're too stupid, or I'm just an asshole.  I really do think that maybe, just maybe, shit got fucked up this one time because that's what's bound to happen, as you have pointed out, when people get involved in anything.

EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

Eater of Clowns

Quote from: Charley Brown on September 21, 2010, 08:51:41 PM

I understand it was harsh.  It's the only conclusion I could come to, when an actual attempt to engage in intelligent conversation was met with the implication that I'm being an idiot and pissing him off.

And really, it's in the same vein as what he said about my reply being an idiotic one.  I didn't tell him that he always, only ever, looks for accolades.  I told him that it's what seems to be happening in this post.  I guess if I'm guilty of not being able to separate my poorly worded argument from me as a person, he's guilty of not being able to separate one instance of not really caring about conversation from a larger trend of him being the initiator of said intelligent conversation.

EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

Kai

Quote from: Doktor Howl on September 20, 2010, 05:58:48 PM
Well, here's a bit of Horrible Truth™ for you:  The universe is what it is, and it's not going to change because you've adopted a philosophy that would really be neat if things were different.  Your wants and beliefs have precisely zero impact on the world, unless they are somehow compatible with the way the world actually works in real life.

Dok, I can fly. No really, watch me! It's all in my dreams, but my dreams are real, you see, real in my head and therefore real everywhere. Decartes was SOOOO right. This brain is my separate and perfect magisterium. It can never be wrong about these things, Dok, its my brain. Perfect. Separate from the universe.

I sit up at night thinking about Herr Doktor Pangloss, that great man. He knew what was up! Of course this world is the best it could possibly be, because it wouldn't exist otherwise, right? All this pain and suffering, it just builds character, puts hair on the arms and chest! Why, if the world was actually free of suffering, it would be just plain wrong, no good no fun. Dok, you know it, when you look deep down inside, you know it. Just look into the eyes of a wolf, see those beady black eyes and you'll see that viciousness is just what humans deserve and its right and good and...

Oh, look at the time, need to take off now. Would you mind loosining my shirtbuckles and undoing the window? Yes yes, I know it's high up but once I'm in the air I can't fail, it's my perfect mind, it will keep me afloat. Just like the free market...
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Eater of Clowns on September 21, 2010, 09:09:32 PM
or the fact that you directly accused me of retiring you from ranting.  

No, that was just the last straw.

But from the content of your posts so far, you still believe I spent the last 8 years doing nothing but looking for mittens.

I'm pretty sure I'm done.  I mean, I've said what's been bothering me, and your response was "ook ook".  I don't see why you expect to get anything intelligible in return.
Molon Lube