News:

CAN'T A BROTHER GET A LITTLE PEACE?

Main Menu

Open Bar: Arguments About Turtles, All the Way Down

Started by Cain, August 09, 2014, 07:29:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Q. G. Pennyworth on October 21, 2014, 03:12:53 AM
I've set up a page on one of those "let people buy your prints" sites. I will be reaching out to people over PM for permission to post some of the Big Words materials there. Just a heads up.

QG, if you can make a buck at it, go ahead and use anything of mine that's already in BW.  Attribution is required, but if you sell anything, you keep the cash.
Molon Lube

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Doktor Howl on October 21, 2014, 03:33:03 AM
Quote from: Q. G. Pennyworth on October 21, 2014, 03:12:53 AM
I've set up a page on one of those "let people buy your prints" sites. I will be reaching out to people over PM for permission to post some of the Big Words materials there. Just a heads up.

QG, if you can make a buck at it, go ahead and use anything of mine that's already in BW.  Attribution is required, but if you sell anything, you keep the cash.

Likewise.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Junkenstein

See PM response. I assume you'll have no problem meeting the stated demands.
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

Cain

Quote from: N E T on October 19, 2014, 01:36:05 PMThat's shitty. I hope the pay rate makes it somewhat worth it.

For the current one?  Unfortunately no.  Minimum wage all the way.  The education one is significantly better, if I get it.  I also know the school, and it is a very good school.  Good enough that private school students are frequently enrolled there (it's a state school) to do their A levels.  I would be working with students with behavioural and learning disabilities if I were there, but in conjunction with a teacher, which is something.

Quote from: NoLeDeMiel on October 20, 2014, 03:42:42 PM
It sucks trying to have a life without a semi-stable schedule. Pretty much just end up living for vacation.

Yeah, exactly.  And I don't get much say over that, either.  Last time I had a week off, I didn't book it, wasn't given any say over it.

Quote from: Your Mom on October 20, 2014, 03:44:18 PM
That's just rude. Are they using you to fill in shifts when the other employees call in sick or no-show?

In theory, no.  In practice, probably.

Over here, we have something called "zero-hour contracts", which are an abomination.  I'm not on one of those, but I am basically the next rung up - I have contracted hours, but not contracted times.  Those contracted hours are not many, and basically I need to work overtime every single week just to pay my rent.  And as one of the newer employees, I of course don't have any sort of social capital to influence the rota.

Q. G. Pennyworth

Quote from: Your Mom on October 21, 2014, 05:09:18 AM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on October 21, 2014, 03:33:03 AM

Likewise.

Thank you both.

LMNO

Already sent PM, but I'll say it publicly: Go for it.

LMNO

Ugh.  Arguing with a Jungian on FB about Quantum Physics.  Why do I do this?

The Wizard Joseph

Clash of Clans is a most fiendish and addictive time waster. I'm hooked and getting pretty good at it.
It only took me like 10 days of obsessive playing!

Gonna catch up on the scuttlebutt ITT as my day goes on.  I'm at the point where upgrades take 12 hrs to a couple days. Like a war game combined with bonsai. I dig it, but now it's pretty much long term building strategy and occasional raiding fits for wall money.
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."
- Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality :lulz:

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

"It's not even chaos anymore. It's BANAL."
- Doktor Hamish Howl

Cain

The Trickster accesses your shadow psyche, compelling you.

LMNO

Cain

I counter with "my resignation letter finally has a response, 6 days after I sent it" and "I'm arguing with nerds about health regen".

Which isn't strictly a counter, but whatever.

Roly Poly Oly-Garch

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on October 21, 2014, 02:31:05 PM
Ugh.  Arguing with a Jungian on FB about Quantum Physics.  Why do I do this?

Because if you're doing it publicly, you're performing a service?

Also, maybe there's a deterrence factor. Being able to get away with "Quantum physics states that your aura is jacked into the collective consciousness field which is why water holds you anxieties," is entirely dependent on nobody in the audience having any knowledge about what quantum physics actually is. Nothing wrong with a person being a little hand-shy about half-assing it.
Back to the fecal matter in the pool

LMNO

Sadly, the argument is going in the direction of "reality is only perception" and "conciousness is not a physical aspect".

Cain

"My perception is that your argument is bullshit.  Since most people agree with this perception, you'll find that this actually exerts a very real influence on the collective subconscious, thus turning reality into a mostly empirical construct."

Pwn3d!!12! etc.

LMNO

You are so much more amusing than the Philosophy 101 I'm dealing with.

"Physics is the science of how matter and energy interact. That speaks very little to consciousness, and is still reductionist/rationalist/materialist, which speak even less to consciousness. The physical world (I still don't like calling it "world") may be amplitudes in configuration space as far as you and physics are concerned, but consciousness isn't. Ergo, if your reality is physical in nature, consciousness cannot be reality."