News:

PD.com: Worse than that time when I conjured a handkerchief from that deaf kid's ear.

Main Menu

The Devil's Discordian Dictionary (Not for comments, only for definitions)

Started by The Good Reverend Roger, March 08, 2011, 12:19:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Good Reverend Roger

46.  Safe (n):  Safe is a four-letter word describing an object or state of mind in which you put things to protect them.  This can include yourself.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

The Good Reverend Roger

47.  Beligeratti (n)  Coined by Supertroy over at Capitol Grilling, this is essentially the opposite of literatti.  Angry "town hall face" po'buckers, who are absolutely outraged at damn near everything, who despise education of any kind, and who still attend tea party meetings.  You can't swing a dead cat without hitting at least 3 of these fuckers, no matter where you go.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

The Good Reverend Roger

48.  The Happy Hooker Syndrome (n):  The happy hooker syndrome is the thought process by which a person ascribes ideal conditions on something awful, to either excuse, legitimize, or defend his/her sense of privilege and/or moral superiority.

Named after the classic example of people assuming that prostitutes do what they do because they "like sex" or "want to make sure everyone can get their kink on", or even that they do it by choice.  Needless to say, in all but a few outliers1, this is ignoring several brutal realities (pimps, drug abuse, depersonalization, desensitization, disease, early death).

Another example is a person claiming that people are on government assistance because they prefer to be on government assistance (amidst claims that people on assistance are living the life of Rielly).

A more antiquated example:  "Those People prefer to be among their own kind, wearing their gaudy clothes, and playing their instruments on their front porches."

1  Curiously enough, EVERYONE arguing this point seems to know a Happy Hooker.  I've never met one, and throughout the course of my careers, I have literally met hundreds of prostitutes.

The Good Reverend Roger

49.  Kafka's Gauntlet (n):  Kafka's Gauntlet is the gauntlet you have to run every day, to avoid being arrested and/or prosecuted.  Given that the laws are so Byzantine and convoluted, it is impossible for anyone not in a coma to avoid violating committing one crime or another...Therefore you avoid prison merely by luck (or the ability to "dodge") each and every day.

Named for Franz Kafka, a man ahead of his time and always ready for a good laugh.

Diagram below courtesy of Paes: