News:

PD.com: children are filled with joy, adults are filled with dread and local government is filled with stupid

Main Menu

Mediagasm

Started by The Good Reverend Roger, September 03, 2009, 01:48:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cramulus

what if we phrase this in the form of a press release? we might not need to actually generate the fake news or explain to people how we do it, the reporters will do our work for us.

even better if we include a 23 of some sort that people will go looking for as a marker of obviously fake news.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Shit, this is what the Free Press Gazette is supposed to be about. I wonder if my sis  is ever going to finish the website?
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Iron Sulfide

had an idea for this, though it may be more appropriate as it's own GASM.

One point on which i think our "Culture" here in the USA and our Societal Standards reflect the Dumbosity® (especially in the media)
is the ultra-trivial non-issue of Gay Marriage.

In my personal discussions with people on the subject, every single instance of a "Traditional" stance on marriage (Dude + Chick = doinnitrite) has stemmed from one reasoning or another that seemed a complete non-issue to me. For The Religious Right, It's a sacred Union before god and Man on Man action just doesn't "do it" for them. But allowing gays to marry holds them legally accountable, which benefits Christians socially and allows them to view their own tradition of marriage in higher regard. It can be argued they do this already. "Christians" for "Traditional" Marriage certainly wouldn't suggest that Jews or Muslim's or even Atheists shouldn't be allowed to have a wholesome Male and Female marriage. That would just be insanity!

Still, I've heard many secular arguments that amount to little more than homophobia. The same counter-argument applies, as well as many others. I don't think i need to elaborate too much why i think homophobic arguments are moot.

so my idea:

Nonogamy

A sort of Anti-Marriage campaign. Satirical, but subtle, the Movement would functionally be an elaborate "Ban DHMO" type thing.

I imagine multiple facets that could contribute to the overall idea while making it less about Gay Marriage and more generalized as an Anti-Marriage campaign, hopefully making it more politically neutral and more unifying across demographic boundaries.

For example: There could be a Feminist Voice in the Nonogamist movement. Such reasons could include The sexist connotations of being subsumed by the husband, becoming property...one could go so far as to say (perhaps) that Marriage Tax Breaks are Sexist.

Of course, an argument for the religious traditionalists (especially christian) could be that legal recognition of their rites is an inconsequential matter, and that true marriage is a bond between man and wife and god, yadda yadda...

An Atheist Voice in the movement that (of course) uses the same arguments as the religious traditionalists, plus the argument of "separation of church and state."

{etc...}

the sinker would be getting people to take it serious all the way to the end. Imagine if we actually did away with legal marriages. :lulz:

like i said, it may well be an idea better suited to it's own development, but it offer it here for consideration.
Ya' stupid Yank.

Captain Utopia

Makes me wonder.. if the church would frown upon a transgendered man (man to woman) marrying another man, would it have a problem with him/her marrying a transgendered woman, who ended up being a man?

I mean, would that even count as gay marriage? Or would it be a double whammy?

rong

interesting proposition.

my gut tells me the church would say, "two wrongs don't make a right"
"a real smart feller, he felt smart"

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: rong on September 14, 2009, 05:55:11 AM
interesting proposition.

my gut tells me the church would say, "two rongs don't make a right"

Fixed.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Iron Sulfide

Quote from: fictionpuss on September 14, 2009, 05:50:58 AM
Makes me wonder.. if the church would frown upon a transgendered man (man to woman) marrying another man, would it have a problem with him/her marrying a transgendered woman, who ended up being a man?

Technically,  the biblical stance would have nothing against the marriage, per se- just against the transgender operation, and life choises that result from it. It counts as bodily desecration; somehow, circumcision isn't.

Ya' stupid Yank.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Prat Fest on September 14, 2009, 07:50:45 PM
Quote from: fictionpuss on September 14, 2009, 05:50:58 AM

Technically,  the biblical stance would have nothing against the marriage, per se- just against the transgender operation, and life choises that result from it. It counts as bodily desecration; somehow, circumcision isn't.

Oh, boy.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Iron Sulfide

<- was raised to be a pentecostal.

Ya' stupid Yank.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Prat Fest on September 14, 2009, 08:09:05 PM
<- was raised to be a pentecostal.

That's fine.  But if anyone starts that cut/uncut bullshit here, there's gonna be HELL TO PAY.

:argh!:

Rococo Modem Basilisk

Quote from: GA on September 06, 2009, 07:18:45 AM
Quote from: Gramulus on September 04, 2009, 01:18:04 PM
idea: provide the tools and information for people to create their own media hoaxes

when people see how the media really works (even if only in theory), they'll realize how dumb the process is.

>make up a contraversial topic. pull some "soundbites" from "authorities"
   >write a press kit which does all the work for the journalist
   >send in stuff close to deadline so editors don't have time to research
   >when your stuff makes the news, clip it out and include the clippings in your second-pass press kit
   >the journalists see the clipping, they'll assume they don't have to do any fact checking because someone else already did.

imagine if the media reported on the high number of fake news stories
how would they cover their own process and people's perception of it?

classic double-bind

If there was a way to make generating a fake news story as easy as generating a demotivational poster or lolcat captioned image type thing, that might be something.  The sheer volume of fake shit being sent to media might make them do a little more fact checking first?  I don't really know how one would go about doing this, though, or if it's something within our capabilities.  Something about automating postings to multiple blogs, automagically starting fake twitter rumors, etc when proper input is given.  So the user would visit our website, enter a fake news article and a few fake blog posts, and the website would generate believable looking blogs with the entered post and start our twitter drones quoting sentences containing user-supplied keywords?  I'm not saying that's feasible, just what came to my head.

Totally awesome motorcycle. If there is a way to autogenerate the standard press kit format via, say, a form and then automatically look for deadlines on media and spam their offices with submissions, then detecting whether they have used it in one of their online media, it would be totally automatable.

Quote from: fictionpuss

I read a headline somewhere stating that the Iranian government forced sex change operations on gay men, or something. This is (hopefully) an example of bad reporting and sensational headlines.

I am not "full of hate" as if I were some passive container. I am a generator of hate, and my rage is a renewable resource, like sunshine.