News:

What the fuck is a homonym?  It's something that sounds gay.

Main Menu

Reverend Never and Me: God

Started by A.N. Other, April 11, 2008, 03:38:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Nigel on April 16, 2008, 08:12:58 PM
Quote from: Payne on April 16, 2008, 01:40:48 PM
Actually, if you look closely, my bit wasn't based on fact either. Thats the problem with quantum physics. People try making it apply to the real world, and it doesn't work.

That's actually one of the things that I think is funniest about quantum physics.

I love your new avatar.  The look on your face says something.

Something like, "You'll die for that."
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Jasper

The point isn't any of that, really.  The point is, what are you goanna do about it?

LMNO

Quote from: Payne on April 16, 2008, 10:02:21 PM
Actually, if you look closely, my bit wasn't based on fact either. Thats the problem with quantum physics. People try making it apply to the real world, and it doesn't work.

That's actually one of the things that I think is funniest about quantum physics.

Quote from: Terry Pratchett
the universe was full of ignorance all around and the scientist panned through it like a
prospector crouched over a mountain stream, looking for the gold of knowledge among the gravel of
unreason, the sand of uncertainty and the little whiskery eight-legged swimming things of superstition.

Occasionally he would straighten up and say things like 'Hurrah, I've discovered Boyle's Third Law.'
And everyone knew where they stood. But the trouble was that ignorance became more interesting,
especially big fascinating ignorance about huge and important things like matter and creation, and people
stopped patiently building their little houses of rational sticks in the chaos of the universe and started
getting interested in the chaos itself - partly because it was a lot easier to be an expert on chaos, but
mostly because it made really good patterns that you could put on a t-shirt.

And instead of getting on with proper science* scientists suddenly went around saying how impossible
it was to know anything, and that there wasn't really anything you could call reality to know anything
about, and how all this was tremendously exciting, and incidentally did you know there were possibly all these little universes all over the place but no-one can see them because they are all curved in on themselves? Incidentally, don't you think this is a rather good t-shirt?

* Like finding that bloody butterfly whose flapping wings cause all these storms we've been having
lately and getting it to stop.

From "Witches Abroad"

Good GOD, I love Terry Pratchett.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on April 17, 2008, 03:46:49 AM

I love your new avatar.  The look on your face says something.

Something like, "You'll die for that."

:evil:
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Payne

Quote from: LMNO on April 17, 2008, 04:51:28 PM
Quote from: Payne on April 16, 2008, 10:02:21 PM

Quote from: Terry Pratchett
the universe was full of ignorance all around and the scientist panned through it like a
prospector crouched over a mountain stream, looking for the gold of knowledge among the gravel of
unreason, the sand of uncertainty and the little whiskery eight-legged swimming things of superstition.

Occasionally he would straighten up and say things like 'Hurrah, I've discovered Boyle's Third Law.'
And everyone knew where they stood. But the trouble was that ignorance became more interesting,
especially big fascinating ignorance about huge and important things like matter and creation, and people
stopped patiently building their little houses of rational sticks in the chaos of the universe and started
getting interested in the chaos itself - partly because it was a lot easier to be an expert on chaos, but
mostly because it made really good patterns that you could put on a t-shirt.

And instead of getting on with proper science* scientists suddenly went around saying how impossible
it was to know anything, and that there wasn't really anything you could call reality to know anything
about, and how all this was tremendously exciting, and incidentally did you know there were possibly all these little universes all over the place but no-one can see them because they are all curved in on themselves? Incidentally, don't you think this is a rather good t-shirt?

* Like finding that bloody butterfly whose flapping wings cause all these storms we've been having
lately and getting it to stop.

From "Witches Abroad"

Good GOD, I love Terry Pratchett.

It's a good quote. I actually just started re-reading Witches Abroad, and had just finished this bit before posting it directly to here.