News:

You know what I always say? "Always kill the mouthy one", that's what I always say.

Main Menu

What Might Actually Be Happening, part III of V

Started by The Good Reverend Roger, October 03, 2012, 06:51:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LMNO

Meta ARG?

Like, be really real in blogging in the style of an RPG campaign?

I'm kind of loving it, and now wish I had played more D&D as a kid.  Oddly that's probably the first time in my life I've wished something like that.

Cain

I strongly suspect that, when looked at deeply enough, the parallels between video games and reality are highly disturbing.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on October 03, 2012, 07:55:01 PM
Meta ARG?

Like, be really real in blogging in the style of an RPG campaign?

I'm kind of loving it, and now wish I had played more D&D as a kid.  Oddly that's probably the first time in my life I've wished something like that.

Well, I was thinking of a blog with comments discussing this game, making it blatantly obvious after a time that the game is, you know, life.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Anna Mae Bollocks

Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division

Eater of Clowns

And it's every game.  It's RPG and FPS and RTS and dating sims, always, and you never know at your spawn point which one you started in.  I like it.
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on October 03, 2012, 06:51:30 PM
You know the game.  Everyone does; it's awesome.  You plug in, and you forget who you are for the duration of the game, and you live in a virtual world where everyone's a primate. 

There's easy levels and hard levels.  America used to be one of the hard levels, but it's kiddy land, now.  All the hardcore players drop into central Africa and "get born" (spawn) into the REALLY hard level. 

Anyway, you live out a whole life as a primate, but at a faster pace than actual time (otherwise it would be mind-numbingly boring), and you and the other primates take part in primate activities like business and play and the occasional global conflict (though the BIG ones are out of fashion right now).  When you get killed or die for whatever reason, you're bounced back out to reality.  You then remember who and what you are, but you also remember the game.  It's the ultimate in virtual reality gaming.

Of course, there's rumors that sometimes things go wrong, and people experience time in the game at a 1:1 ratio, meaning they have to spend almost a century, on average, running around in a primate hell (the hardcore guys wouldn't have to wait so long, but still...).  But that's just an urban legend, probably spread by the game owners themselves to add an extra thrill of risk to the game.  I've certainly never heard of it happening to anyone.

BRRRRRR.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

BabylonHoruv

Quote from: P3nT4gR4m on October 03, 2012, 07:41:10 PM
I encountered a magnificent thought experiment, which your mind initially rejects but, the more you think about it...

To paraphrase it. You accept for sake of argument that at some point in the future, if technology and Moore's law and we don't wipe ourselves out or blow up the planet, that we'll have a way to simulate, at subatomic level, something as complicated as our solar system. To set it motion with predetermined conditions for life on Earth and then just let the bugger go, with the outcome that consciousness, as we would recognise it, emerges "inside" the simulation.

So, at that point, if this is a valid, plausible scenario it immediately turns out that you have, at best, a 50/50 probability of being in the "real" original reality and of being a product of the simulation.

If you accept that this, in a hundred or a thousand or a million years time, will be possible, then there comes the question of where this tech will be in another hundred, thousand, or million years. There's got to be a fuckton of these simulations going on by then, right? With every simulation run, across a global, perhaps trans, or even inter-galactic interbutts of teh future, the likelihood of you being in the original reduces to the point where you have more chance of winning the lottery.

I've mentioned that possibility before.  It was barstooled and considered to be useless wankery.
You're a special case, Babylon.  You are offensive even when you don't post.

Merely by being alive, you make everyone just a little more miserable

-Dok Howl