News:

PD.com: "I'M MADDER THAN FISH GREASE!"

Main Menu

PHILOSOPHY! 50 PAGES! 50 PAGES!

Started by Epimetheus, May 31, 2012, 05:43:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Epimetheus

I am currently in the process of writing up a bunch of procrastinated Philosophy of Art homework. In a response to Richard Wollheim's "Criticism as Retrieval,"* I ended up writing the following bit, and I was pleasantly surprised to find it rather succinctly phrases some of my own ideas about beauty. I'd like some response from the lot of you, if you'll indulge me.

Knowledge is beautiful, but the knowledge does not itself generate the beauty. A painting is beautiful not due to any particular information, but due to what it is like to experience that painting as a participant in its glory. All particular information about the painting is also beautiful, not due to any particular information but due to what it is like to experience that information as a participant in its glory.
Replace the word "painting" in the preceding two sentences with "universe" and you will understand why I am majoring in the sciences.

*The gist of Wollheim's argument is that to truly experience a work, it is necessary to reconstruct the creative process that brought the work into existence, that is, the conditions of its creation.
POST-SINGULARITY POCKET ORGASM TOAD OF RIGHTEOUSNESS

Murmur

I like toast. I'm sorry I'm not smarter.  :eek:
Tolerable Terror for Toddlers Legionaire, Nixon Division™

"Onlookers will be horrified and amazed by the sheer volume of fluid."--TGRR

"SaraLee, I say unto you!  If ye have a cake and halve it, and then halve it yet again, you would have four quarters and yet still not have a dollar.  Eat of that cake, for it is cake which is NOT cake, which ye may have half a mind to have at a reasonable price, yet in indecision achieve satori with said stale Moon Pie.  That's what you get when YOU FUCK WITH US." - DOUR

Bu🤠ns

Interesting, Epimethus. 

Something that, in my mind, seems to bridge the gap between universe and art (painting) would be the work of Andy Goldsworthy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9TyHzP-8b8 (just check out the related links for more).

It's like, with his art, the experience and the art are one and the same.

The Johnny

Quote from: Epimetheus on May 31, 2012, 05:43:26 AM

I am currently in the process of writing up a bunch of procrastinated Philosophy of Art homework. In a response to Richard Wollheim's "Criticism as Retrieval,"* I ended up writing the following bit, and I was pleasantly surprised to find it rather succinctly phrases some of my own ideas about beauty. I'd like some response from the lot of you, if you'll indulge me.

Knowledge is beautiful, but the knowledge does not itself generate the beauty. A painting is beautiful not due to any particular information, but due to what it is like to experience that painting as a participant in its glory. All particular information about the painting is also beautiful, not due to any particular information but due to what it is like to experience that information as a participant in its glory.
Replace the word "painting" in the preceding two sentences with "universe" and you will understand why I am majoring in the sciences.

*The gist of Wollheim's argument is that to truly experience a work, it is necessary to reconstruct the creative process that brought the work into existence, that is, the conditions of its creation.

If you really want to make a serious argument around any of this, you need to define:

1. Beauty
2. Art
3. Knowledge

Otherwise you just become a hippie spouting out "deep reflections".

And the "conditions of the creation of a work" cant be limited clearly, if only it is done in a convenient manner for the analyst, but thats not reality; how can one trace or define the limits of these conditions? Wouldnt you have to know and examine how all his biography/thoughts/experiences have influenced?

And ill tell you something, not all knowledge is beautiful... some days ago i learned about a mother ripping out her son's eyeballs with a spoon for a ritual to supposedly stop the end of the world from happening... this is something i didnt know before, isnt it knowledge? isnt it beautiful?
<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner

Epimetheus

Quote from: Joh'Nyx on June 01, 2012, 03:26:22 AM1. Beauty

Beauty: the qualities that give disinterested delight to the mind via the senses or imagination.
Disinterested: Not influenced by considerations of personal advantage
Personal: Affecting a particular person

Quote2. Art

I didn't use that word.

Quote3. Knowledge

Knowledge: Information and skills acquired through experience or education; the theoretical or practical understanding of a subject.

QuoteAnd the "conditions of the creation of a work" cant be limited clearly, if only it is done in a convenient manner for the analyst, but thats not reality; how can one trace or define the limits of these conditions? Wouldnt you have to know and examine how all his biography/thoughts/experiences have influenced?

That's one of the objections to Wollheim's philosophy. I disagree with Wollheim, so we can forget that debate for now.

And ill tell you something, not all knowledge is beautiful... some days ago i learned about a mother ripping out her son's eyeballs with a spoon for a ritual to supposedly stop the end of the world from happening... this is something i didnt know before, isnt it knowledge? isnt it beautiful?

I meant it more conditionally - allow me to rephrase.
When knowledge is beautiful, the knowledge does not itself generate the beauty.

Epimetheus

Quote from: Murmur on June 01, 2012, 12:47:26 AM
I like toast. I'm sorry I'm not smarter.  :eek:

It's not a smartness thing. I was just calling for those philosophically-minded PDers.
Toast is awesome. I made an omelette-on-toast concoction the past couple days. It was good, but did not itself generate the goodness.  :wink:

Epimetheus

Quote from: Bu☆ns on June 01, 2012, 02:11:19 AM
Interesting, Epimethus. 

Something that, in my mind, seems to bridge the gap between universe and art (painting) would be the work of Andy Goldsworthy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9TyHzP-8b8 (just check out the related links for more).

Yeah! I love that stuff.

EK WAFFLR

"At first I lifted weights.  But then I asked myself, 'why not people?'  Now everyone runs for the fjord when they see me."

Horribly Oscillating Assbasket of Deliciousness
[/b]

The Johnny

I think i can get on board more with what you are saying now with the further explanations...

So if im correct in my interpretation of your argument, "beauty lies in the eye of the beholder", that is, beauty is a subjective quality attributed and experienced based on owns perception, and thus there's no objective criterion from which to say something is beautiful or not?

Also, its not something in particular of an object that makes it beautiful, but the whole interaction of its parts? On this point i would argue it, from a hypothetical foot fetishist perspective... said person could appreciate the beauty of another person's foot, while acknowledging the uglyness of the rest of the body of a given person (no, im not a foot fetishist, this is a hypothetical case, for if we are arguing universals, it would need to apply in this case too).

And regarding style of writing, the last sentence which speaks of your personal relationship with the sciences seem to be off topic (this might lower your grade if you are gonna turn this in as material for grading)
<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner

The Good Reverend Roger

Philosophy:  That which is studied in order to gain a college degree without taking any math courses.

Philosopher:  See Barrista.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Epimetheus

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on June 01, 2012, 06:05:56 PM
Philosophy:  That which is studied in order to gain a college degree without taking any math courses.

For me, it is just studied for fun. Like I said, science major here.

Also, you of course know that all of your ideas about the world compose a philosophy. If you examine those ideas at all, then you are a philosopher. My definition.

That said, I'm not sure I will ever take a philosophy class again. Unless it's Philosophy of Bugs Bunny.

E.O.T.

Quote from: Epimetheus on June 02, 2012, 12:06:28 AM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on June 01, 2012, 06:05:56 PM

For me, it is just studied for fun. Like I said, science major here.

Also, you of course know that all of your ideas about the world compose a philosophy. If you examine those ideas at all, then you are a philosopher. My definition.

That said, I'm not sure I will ever take a philosophy class again. Unless it's Philosophy of Bugs Bunny.

PRETTY

certain that's been a standard class at ben gurion for quite a while. unfortunately, logic class only gets you out of a bit of math. it's probably a stupid bit, though.
"a good fight justifies any cause"

Epimetheus

Quote from: Joh'Nyx on June 01, 2012, 05:20:41 PM
I think i can get on board more with what you are saying now with the further explanations...

So if im correct in my interpretation of your argument, "beauty lies in the eye of the beholder", that is, beauty is a subjective quality attributed and experienced based on owns perception, and thus there's no objective criterion from which to say something is beautiful or not?

Yes, it is a quality defined by the subjective experience of that quality. The term "beauty" is meaningless without an observer to experience the beauty.

Also, its not something in particular of an object that makes it beautiful, but the whole interaction of its parts?

Neither. "The whole interaction of its parts" is still a thing (information) about the object.
It is specifically in the experience that beauty reveals itself, and not inherent in the object or information about the object.

And regarding style of writing, the last sentence which speaks of your personal relationship with the sciences seem to be off topic (this might lower your grade if you are gonna turn this in as material for grading)

Nah, it was a more freely written assignment than you may be thinking. But I appreciate the concern. (Already been graded, anyway.)

minuspace

I would start by expanding the understanding of knowledge as information in order to also include other possible forms thereof.  Some painters come to mind that were also quite interested in science and how the "universe" works.  I think that the distinction between experience and information may require more thought?

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

CAN I

just say that real philosophers don't discuss things.  real philosiphers TELL people things they need to know. that is all
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."