News:

OK fuckers, let me out of here. I farted for you, what more do you want from me? Jesus fuck.

Main Menu

Neil deGrasse Tyson, super-cool dude.

Started by LMNO, April 01, 2014, 05:50:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LMNO

"As an educator, I try to get people to be fundamentally curious and to question ideas that they might have or that are shared by others," he told HuffPost Science. "In that state of mind, they have earned a kind of inoculation against the fuzzy thinking of these weird ideas floating around out there. So rather than correct the weird ideas, I would rather them to know how to think in the first place. Then they can correct the weird idea themselves. I don't just tell them no. That's pontifical."

hooplala

I like him a lot. 

He has been hosting the 'new version' of Cosmos lately, and while his voice isn't quite as soothing as Carl Sagan's was, it's just as authoritative.  He's the only person I would want hosting the show, other than Sagan.

Of course, there's also this:

"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Cramulus

found on the internets:

"Just nutted but she still suckin"

Cramulus

Tyson doesn't like his anecdotes getting cut off mid sentence. So he analyzed how long Jon Stewart lets a guest talk (on average) before he interjects a quip.

So to maintain his flow, Tyson builds lowball easy jokes into his responses. Like 25 seconds into his turn to speak, he'll say something which can easily be turned into a sex joke pun--which has little chance of Stewart turning it into a lengthy tangent.

that's some next level shit right there

hooplala

Quote from: Cramulus on April 01, 2014, 07:26:05 PM
Tyson doesn't like his anecdotes getting cut off mid sentence. So he analyzed how long Jon Stewart lets a guest talk (on average) before he interjects a quip.

So to maintain his flow, Tyson builds lowball easy jokes into his responses. Like 25 seconds into his turn to speak, he'll say something which can easily be turned into a sex joke pun--which has little chance of Stewart turning it into a lengthy tangent.

that's some next level shit right there

Fucking scientists...  :lulz:

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman

Telarus

Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on April 01, 2014, 05:50:04 PM
"As an educator, I try to get people to be fundamentally curious and to question ideas that they might have or that are shared by others," he told HuffPost Science. "In that state of mind, they have earned a kind of inoculation against the fuzzy thinking of these weird ideas floating around out there. So rather than correct the weird ideas, I would rather them to know how to think in the first place. Then they can correct the weird idea themselves. I don't just tell them no. That's pontifical."

I love him. Seriously. I have a huge all-level crush on that guy.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Hoopla on April 01, 2014, 07:19:51 PM
I like him a lot. 

He has been hosting the 'new version' of Cosmos lately, and while his voice isn't quite as soothing as Carl Sagan's was, it's just as authoritative.  He's the only person I would want hosting the show, other than Sagan.

Of course, there's also this:

I think they're equally soothing, but of different qualities (ETA- Sagan was a little more droning, as if he were speaking to you while somewhat deep in thought, Tyson speaks like he's got a cool secret to tell you, since it's a little whispery at times).

And you're right. He's the only person who could take up Sagan's torch for a reboot. I was talking to Villager's downstairs roommate about it before it premiered and he was like, "Yeah, I kinda want to hold off on watching it until I can get some opinions on how it is. I don't know how it will stack up to the original. Who's hosting it anyway?" "Neil DeGrasse Tyson." "Oh. Sold."
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Ben Shapiro

Kaku and Tyson are fighting for my replacement of Sagan. The most important aspect for me is how BLUNT they are. So I'm going to have to watch some of their lectures.

Cramulus

I can't put my finger on why, but I'm not as impressed with Kaku. Dont' get me wrong, he's doing good work, but I think I've seen too many documentaries with him just speculating about things from Star Trek in front of a green screen.

hooplala

Quote from: Cramulus on April 02, 2014, 01:41:21 PM
I can't put my finger on why, but I'm not as impressed with Kaku. Dont' get me wrong, he's doing good work, but I think I've seen too many documentaries with him just speculating about things from Star Trek in front of a green screen.

Spending a considerable amount of time on Coast to Coast AM probably isn't bolstering his career much.

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman

Nephew Twiddleton

That's it exactly. Tyson is more of a science communicator, and Kaku is more of a science entertainer. He's an imaginative guy, which is a good thing, but I can see the his appeal to the crazies. Which is probably why Coast to Coast has him on.

Nephew Twiddleton

For example: I slowly became aware of Kaku because I noticed him more and more on TV. At first I was like, "ah ok, that's pretty cool" and then one day I was just like, "is this guy a crackpot?" so I poked around the internet and he's not a crackpot. He just seems like it sometimes. The fact that I had to ask that about an otherwise respectable scientist means that there's something flawed in his delivery.

hooplala

Quote from: (Doktor (Nephew Twiddleton (Twid)) Blight) on April 02, 2014, 02:16:46 PM
For example: I slowly became aware of Kaku because I noticed him more and more on TV. At first I was like, "ah ok, that's pretty cool" and then one day I was just like, "is this guy a crackpot?" so I poked around the internet and he's not a crackpot. He just seems like it sometimes. The fact that I had to ask that about an otherwise respectable scientist means that there's something flawed in his delivery.

I guess because he's willing to at least entertain most questions, no matter how berserk... a lot of other scientists would just laugh you off.

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Hoopla on April 02, 2014, 02:18:02 PM
Quote from: (Doktor (Nephew Twiddleton (Twid)) Blight) on April 02, 2014, 02:16:46 PM

I guess because he's willing to at least entertain most questions, no matter how berserk... a lot of other scientists would just laugh you off.

That makes sense. And I can see the value in that too, but the "if it were possible, here's how it would work" can get garbled in the cuckoo filters. And ultimately he has no say in how the show gets edited anyway.