You have [3] new messages in your inbox

Main Menu

Election Night. Gimme My Fix.

Started by The Good Reverend Roger, November 06, 2012, 04:02:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mangrove

Quote from: Suu on November 07, 2012, 08:59:29 PM
Quote from: Mangrove on November 07, 2012, 08:55:50 PM
So, Linda McMahon spent 76 million dollars in CT on a congressional and a senate run....and lost.

:lulz:

She didn't lose. She got slaughtered.

In a weird way, this pleased me more than Romney not winning. I was talking to one of my clients today about the trouncing of McMahon and she said "Why didn't McMahon just take the 76 million and establish a foundation to achieve whatever social good she claimed to provide without having to run for office?"

Interesting point. Linda McMahon carpet bombed our mailbox with expensive glossy flyers and choked up our tv with ads all of which DID NOT WORK. Nor did her trick of pretending to be pro-Obama. Given that there's only 8 million people in CT, she could have just given everyone a million dollars and saved 68 million. Boom! Poverty over.

What makes it so? Making it so is what makes it so.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

There's some perspective for you. If politics was about the good of the American people, the rich motherfuckers who drop millions on campaigns would be putting them instead into college funds, food banks, and financial aid charities for people struggling to pay their mortgages. It's about consolidating power, not benefiting the people.

Of you look at the insane distribution of wealth in the US and how much the rich have compared to the poor, it becomes immediately readily apparent that poverty and lack of education could be absolutely wiped out with a tiny fraction of the altruism that the rich claim to have. For example, a six million dollar fund would feed, clothe, house, and educate (K-PhD) every resident of the State of Washington into perpetuity, but although the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation has given away something like $26,000,000 since inception, that's not on the list.

Economically speaking, the only reason to maintain such an enormous wealth disparity is that our economic system is dependent on an extreme economic disparity in order to maintain the power and wealth concentration of the elite. It's not a very functional economic system, unless the function we're hoping for is widespread poverty.

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Luna

Quote from: Mangrove on November 07, 2012, 09:05:32 PM
Quote from: Suu on November 07, 2012, 08:59:29 PM
Quote from: Mangrove on November 07, 2012, 08:55:50 PM
So, Linda McMahon spent 76 million dollars in CT on a congressional and a senate run....and lost.

:lulz:

She didn't lose. She got slaughtered.

In a weird way, this pleased me more than Romney not winning. I was talking to one of my clients today about the trouncing of McMahon and she said "Why didn't McMahon just take the 76 million and establish a foundation to achieve whatever social good she claimed to provide without having to run for office?"

Interesting point. Linda McMahon carpet bombed our mailbox with expensive glossy flyers and choked up our tv with ads all of which DID NOT WORK. Nor did her trick of pretending to be pro-Obama. Given that there's only 8 million people in CT, she could have just given everyone a million dollars and saved 68 million. Boom! Poverty over.

Thanks...  Rephrasing that a bit for FB...
Death-dealing hormone freak of deliciousness
Pagan-Stomping Valkyrie of the Interbutts™
Rampaging Slayer of Shit-Fountain Habitues

"My father says that almost the whole world is asleep. Everybody you know, everybody you see, everybody you talk to. He says that only a few people are awake, and they live in a state of constant, total amazement."

Quote from: The Payne on November 16, 2011, 07:08:55 PM
If Luna was a furry, she'd sex humans and scream "BEASTIALITY!" at the top of her lungs at inopportune times.

Quote from: Nigel on March 24, 2011, 01:54:48 AM
I like the Luna one. She is a good one.

"Stop talking to yourself.  You don't like you any better than anyone else who knows you."

Elder Iptuous

that would have take 8 trillion dollars...
am i missing humor, or was that just a miscalculation?

Anna Mae Bollocks

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on November 07, 2012, 06:53:13 PM
Quote from: Secret Agent GARBO on November 07, 2012, 06:44:37 PM
Yeah, well, there's been studies that show that, for the first time in a long time, people under thirty are less tolerant of racial differences than people over thirty.

Well, that's depressing.

WTF went wrong?  :x
Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division

Elder Iptuous

Quote from: TEXAS FAIRIES FOR ALL YOU SPAGS on November 08, 2012, 02:20:27 AM
Yeah, well, there's been studies that show that, for the first time in a long time, people under thirty are less tolerant of racial differences than people over thirty.

Well, that's depressing.

it's an uphill battle getting discrimination/survival machines to ignore a visually obvious discriminant.  it is my opinion that bigotry is not something that can 'be overcome', but requires continuous active effort to mitigate, and always will.

Anna Mae Bollocks

Quote from: Elder Iptuous on November 08, 2012, 02:32:11 AM

Well, that's depressing.

it's an uphill battle getting discrimination/survival machines to ignore a visually obvious discriminant.  it is my opinion that bigotry is not something that can 'be overcome', but requires continuous active effort to mitigate, and always will.

It's taught though, for the most part, isn't it?
Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division

Elder Iptuous

Quote from: TEXAS FAIRIES FOR ALL YOU SPAGS on November 08, 2012, 02:40:24 AM
Quote from: Elder Iptuous on November 08, 2012, 02:32:11 AM

Well, that's depressing.

It's taught though, for the most part, isn't it?

i've heard people say that studies indicate that it is. however, i haven't really looked into that myself.
based on my experience, and experience of seeing children raised, and now raising some myself, i would say no.  avoidance of applying biases to an obvious visual discriminant is what must be taught.  it seems evident enough to me that i would have above average skepticism when reading claims that this is not so....
of course, i accept that i'm frequently wrong.

Juana

All bigotry is taught, although Ippy's right on the money for teenagers/adults. There's no "I'm not a bigot anymore!" pill you can take. It's a constant effort to examine your views/their origin. It's a kind of jail breaking, imo.

IMO, part of the reason it persists (at least for white people) is because it's to our economic advantage to continue to force PoC out of decent positions (THEY TEK OWR JERBS!).
"I dispose of obsolete meat machines.  Not because I hate them (I do) and not because they deserve it (they do), but because they are in the way and those older ones don't meet emissions codes.  They emit too much.  You don't like them and I don't like them, so spare me the hysteria."

Juana

Also, on topic: http://whitepeoplemourningromney.tumblr.com/
Other than the fact that most of Mitten's supporters are white, I'm not sure why it has to be "white people", but anyway, some of the pictures are still funny/absurd.
"I dispose of obsolete meat machines.  Not because I hate them (I do) and not because they deserve it (they do), but because they are in the way and those older ones don't meet emissions codes.  They emit too much.  You don't like them and I don't like them, so spare me the hysteria."

ñͤͣ̄ͦ̌̑͗͊͛͂͗ ̸̨̨̣̺̼̣̜͙͈͕̮̊̈́̈͂͛̽͊ͭ̓͆ͅé ̰̓̓́ͯ́́͞

P E R   A S P E R A   A D   A S T R A

Juana

Epimetheus

POST-SINGULARITY POCKET ORGASM TOAD OF RIGHTEOUSNESS

Mangrove

Quote from: Elder Iptuous on November 08, 2012, 02:01:24 AM
that would have take 8 trillion dollars...
am i missing humor, or was that just a miscalculation?

:pwned:    <--- that's me getting pwned by simple math (in this clip, played by the late Bruce Lee)

:lulz: :lulz:

So yeah...  :lulz:

What makes it so? Making it so is what makes it so.