News:

We've got artists, scientists, scholars, pranksters, publishers, songwriters, and political activists.  We've subjected Discordia to scrutiny, torn it apart, and put it back together. We've written songs about it, we've got a stack of essays, and, to refer back to your quote above, we criticize the hell out of each other.

Main Menu

The Curse of the Leviathan

Started by Prelate Diogenes Shandor, May 22, 2012, 03:43:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Prelate Diogenes Shandor

Beware the Leviathan

1.) Human evolution is still occurring, faster even than before now that it has the assistance of the dark sciences, and it's headed somewhere that I absolutely do not want to be.

2.) If society continues on the path that it seems to be following, I fear that we must eventually end up in a very dark place, one that will make Big Brother look like a champion of indivduaity and freedom, Friend Computer look like something that was programmed by Anonymous, and the slavery of previous eras look like uncontrolled anarchy; at least slaves had their own thoughts and personalities even if they had no property, and at least they had the choice to be cruelly punished rather than obey even if they had no real freedom.

3.)The future that I see consists of nothing less thn the utter negation of the individual, and the transformation of the human condition first into that of a worthless ant, and finally into that of a single, utterly contemptible, and imperceptible cell in the body of a vast and grotesque Leviathan, and were there any at this point who could still think, they would mourn for the days when it was just a conspiracy, rather than a living god.

4.) We cannot prevent the arrival of the Leviathan, he is already here, HE and THEY have always been with us since man first developed language.

5.) They are not as evil now as they were in the past, as their malevolence wanes, their power grows and they negate the individual without malice or emotion and destroy without passion. They become like the Elder Gods,whose very presence is toxic.

6.) Every organization, every nation, every movement, every faith, every corporation that thinks that it is a person, These are the leviathans

7.) and Like the innumerable avatars of Brahman, the individual leviathans collectively make up THE LEVIATHAN.

8.) The Right gives power to all the small leviathans by aggrandizing the power of businesses, faiths, and nations, making them into gods and diluting not their power no matter how mad they become,

9.) and the Left feeds the big LEVIATHAN directly by belittling the individuals, not so much of the right to BE individual or the rights OF the individual, but of individuality itself.

10.) We will not be forced to think and act alike; we will all be identical. Our DIFFERENCES will be assigned in a grotesque farce of nature.

11.) For while the superstition of the RIGHT offers sacrifices we cannot afford to mad and jealous gods, concurrently the science of the LEFT raises up demons that cannot and will not be sent back down.

12.) By the Dark Sciences all variations from the norms and from the popular and mediocretin ideals of human thought and human genetics may be seen and may be eradicated.

13.) and These horrors will be accepted and inflicted by we who are upon those who are to come because the will be convenient in the short run. The Sacred Chao will be sold for gas money.

14.) Tomorrow will be mortgaged for the opulence of today, and by this Faustian compact the LEVIATHAN will own us all the day after

15.) There can be no true solutions, to this or to anything. It is through misunderstanding of this truth that these new problems arise. Wisely did the ancient preacher write "That which is crooked cannot be made straight, and that which is wanting cannot be counted."

16.) Though man, the Earth, and the LORD passeth away, deficiency abideth forever. Like a Pheonix from the ashes it is reborn from thy very solutions.

17.) The lives of our distant ancestors were brutish and short, then they did commerce with the LEVIATHAN, and now we are prolonged but enter into Hades during life.

18.) Like cells who are prolonged as part of a multicellular being by forfeiting their capacity to live as their own being, So we have signed away our life as individuals for a share of the life of the LEVIATHAN, and the LEVIATHAN waxes in its ability to take away all of what has been promised to it.

19.) When it becomes clear to the masses that what the LEVIATHAN hath given them a greater quantity of in exchange, they will likely have passed beyond the point of caring and comprehending. Ceasing to be the masses, and just being the mass, the LEVIATHAN.

20.) The closest thing to hope that exists is the catastrophic collapse of society, and reversion from coming problems to earlier problems. Better to crash and burn on the road to Hell than to reach your destination

21.) But soon we may be beyond even that. We will be going nowhere so fast that we will finally arrive; The LEVIATHAN will become all powerful and all hope will be lost.
Praise NHGH! For the tribulation of all sentient beings.

a plague on both your houses -Mercutio

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrTGgpWmdZQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVWd7nPjJH8

It is an unfortunate fact that every man who seeks to disseminate knowledge must contend not only against ignorance itself, but against false instruction as well. No sooner do we deem ourselves free from a particularly gross superstition, than we are confronted by some enemy to learning who would plunge us back into the darkness -H.P.Lovecraft

He who fights with monsters must take care lest he thereby become a monster -Nietzsche

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHhrZgojY1Q

You are a fluke of the universe, and whether you can hear it of not the universe is laughing behind your back -Deteriorata

Don't use the email address in my profile, I lost the password years ago

Q. G. Pennyworth

How would you differentiate the LEVIATHAN from The Machine?

And, on a more philosophical note, what makes you think that the forces of Malevolent Order (or Lawful Evil, or whatever) will become stronger than the forces of Benevolent Disorder? Or Benevolent Order? Malevolent Disorder? Random Bullshit? People who like things to be tidy tend to have a habit of collecting more power than people who enjoy things being a sloppy free-for-all, and power is definitely a corrupting influence, but at the same time no one has ever managed to completely stifle creativity, chaos, and random acts of humanity. Ever. Even in the midst of the absolute worst examples of ordered evil, there have always been glimmers of resistance, of hope, and of utter chaos gnawing on the floorboards. It's not uncommon for vicious dictatorships to collapse under their own weight (whether the resulting aftermath is better or not is an open question, though), so what makes you think that a global conglomerate of like-minded corporate, government, and other entities will ever be able to keep the thumbscrews on humanity for long?

We're on the path towards global surveillance, censorship, and subjugation, sure. We're also on our way to becoming the most educated, most creative, and most free society that's ever existed. We might completely destroy the environment and render the earth inhospitable to human life, but we're also pretty close to resolving a lot of global problems that would mitigate that crisis or even reverse the process. Does it make sense to choose to see ourselves as doomed under those circumstances?

It's very tempting to resign ourselves to defeat. It's too big, it's too powerful, it's too much for one person to take on. But the fact is that nobody likes this. And if nobody really wants things to end up this way, there is a chance we can at least try to stop it. And it hurts, because you don't win every battle, and even if people agree on the general goal of "let's not live in a nasty police state" there's an awful lot of infighting among the "good guys." And it sucks, and it's tiring, and it wears you out, but it's better than saying "I GIVE. THE MONSTER WINS."

Because fuck the monster. Right up its stupid ass.

Or Kill Me.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

We are the machine that allows the leviathan to exist.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Prelate Diogenes Shandor

Quote from: Queen Gogira Pennyworth, BSW on May 22, 2012, 05:08:46 AM
How would you differentiate the LEVIATHAN from The Machine?

And, on a more philosophical note, what makes you think that the forces of Malevolent Order (or Lawful Evil, or whatever) will become stronger than the forces of Benevolent Disorder? Or Benevolent Order?

My point is that Benevolent Order is actually the worst of all; If you want to see a society where benevolent order has triumphed, look at an anthill

Quote from: Queen Gogira Pennyworth, BSW on May 22, 2012, 05:08:46 AM
It's very tempting to resign ourselves to defeat. It's too big, it's too powerful, it's too much for one person to take on. But the fact is that nobody likes this. And if nobody really wants things to end up this way, there is a chance we can at least try to stop it. And it hurts, because you don't win every battle, and even if people agree on the general goal of "let's not live in a nasty police state" there's an awful lot of infighting among the "good guys." And it sucks, and it's tiring, and it wears you out, but it's better than saying "I GIVE. THE MONSTER WINS."

You misunderstand me. My point in the bit about unsolvability was that the problems of today are the direct result of solving the problems of yesterday.

To give an example of what I mean, consider this:

At the beginning, life was nasty, brutish, and short, but we developed medicine to treat injuries and diseases, created buildings to protect ourselves from the elements and from wild animals, and developed agriculture to feed the masses. Now life is long, and the direct result of this is overpopulation and all of its associated evils: resource overexploitation, deforestation, pollution, rush-hour traffic, overcrowding, and many many more. In many places life is no longer nasty or brutish either so we can't even shove the other people out of our way. Of course, the current problem of overpopulation will not last forever, many of the world's developed nations are already in the process of developing new problems to "solve" the issue. China has instituted a repressive "one child" policy, and the nations of the west come up with a grab bag of things, including but by no means limited to the deprecation and removal of preexisting societal support framework for pregnancy below a certain age and the sending to the memory hole of the fact that teen pregnancy has been with us since the beginning.
Praise NHGH! For the tribulation of all sentient beings.

a plague on both your houses -Mercutio

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrTGgpWmdZQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVWd7nPjJH8

It is an unfortunate fact that every man who seeks to disseminate knowledge must contend not only against ignorance itself, but against false instruction as well. No sooner do we deem ourselves free from a particularly gross superstition, than we are confronted by some enemy to learning who would plunge us back into the darkness -H.P.Lovecraft

He who fights with monsters must take care lest he thereby become a monster -Nietzsche

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHhrZgojY1Q

You are a fluke of the universe, and whether you can hear it of not the universe is laughing behind your back -Deteriorata

Don't use the email address in my profile, I lost the password years ago

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Prelate Diogenes Shandor on May 22, 2012, 03:43:58 AM
Beware the Leviathan

1.) Human evolution is still occurring, faster even than before now that it has the assistance of the dark sciences, and it's headed somewhere that I absolutely do not want to be.

Dark sciences?  Human evolution is occurring faster?

Christ, what a bunch of rot.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.