PD.com - you don't even believe in nihilism anymore

Main Menu

Ingress

Started by Cramulus, July 18, 2013, 04:46:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: NoLeDeMiel on November 07, 2014, 03:39:31 PM
Quote from: Sexy St. Nigel on November 05, 2014, 08:27:02 PM
We never seem to get the big events in Portland, its kind of disappointing.

Are you on the Google+ page? I've seen a few big projects go down. They're kind of rare because they take tons of planning. But they're spectacular when they do.

I've seen projects. But I'm talking about the anomalies and shit that Niantic sponsors/generates.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: NoLeDeMiel on November 07, 2014, 03:42:14 PM
Quote from: Sexy St. Nigel on November 07, 2014, 03:31:39 PM
I have the points to level up to 9 but not the badges... I need two more silver badges to level up. The closest I am to silver, in a way that seems attainable, is Liberator (475 of 1000), Recharger (686,330 of 1,000,000), Explorer (599 of 1000), and Connector (698 of 1000). I think that my best bet is to focus on recharging, hacking new portals (which means finding new territories to play in) and making links, because it's relatively unlikely that I'll be able to claim 525 blue portals in the next week. Possible, but unlikely. Making 302 links in the next week also seems like a tall order, but if I pair it with hacking new portals it might be doable.

Fort Vancouver right over by my work turns over pretty often and there's tons of portals in a small walkable area.

That's on the other side of that river, though. That makes it essentially the same as another planet.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Chelagoras The Boulder

The two portals near my house have been overtaken by smurfs. very high level, i spent about a half hour of directed attacks at the nearest portal, using up the lion's share of my bursters. also found out that it seems more effective to place oneself next to specific resonators when attacking, rather than standing next to the portals themselves. standing next to the portals  places the resonators on th edge of your attacks, doing at most 4% of damage. Standing next to them seems to make more sense when you're punching above your weight, so to speak
"It isn't who you know, it's who you know, if you know what I mean.  And I think you do."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: EL MAESTRO! on November 09, 2014, 11:51:39 PM
The two portals near my house have been overtaken by smurfs. very high level, i spent about a half hour of directed attacks at the nearest portal, using up the lion's share of my bursters. also found out that it seems more effective to place oneself next to specific resonators when attacking, rather than standing next to the portals themselves. standing next to the portals  places the resonators on th edge of your attacks, doing at most 4% of damage. Standing next to them seems to make more sense when you're punching above your weight, so to speak

Yes, although if you are trying to take out mods standing near the portal is most effective.

My method is, if there are mods, usually to stand right on the portal and deploy an Ultra Strike followed closely by a blaster to clear the mods, then get as close as I can to the highest-level resonator and drop blasters until it's cleared. I deploy the lowest-level blasters that will do the job, to save my high-level blasters for well-reinforced level 8 portals.

I am only 212 links away from level 9, I'm gonna get out on my scooter tomorrow and find new territory.

Nephew Twiddleton

In as GeneOMick (They wouldn't let me do O'Mick). Made level 5 today.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Nephew Twiddleton

I'd remembered Cram mentioning this game when a friend of mine and Villager's went to pick her up at Logan Airport and he hacked a portal while we waited. I downloaded the app last Friday.

LMNO

FINALLY.  I woulda gotten this last month, but some spag kept attacking my guardian portal.

Chelagoras The Boulder

I'm curious, how do you guys set up for places you consider "your turf"? I have a number of mods just lying about in my inventory and i'm not sure how to distribute them effectively. Shields are a no-brainer if you want a portal to stick around for a while, as are turrets, but i get so few of those that i cant put them everywhere. Which leads me to the other mods, like link amps and multihacks, which i've yet to really get the value of

also i just had the epiphany of O RIGHT you need all 3 portal's keys in order to set up control field DURR HURR
"It isn't who you know, it's who you know, if you know what I mean.  And I think you do."

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: EL MAESTRO! on December 16, 2014, 02:24:42 AM
I'm curious, how do you guys set up for places you consider "your turf"? I have a number of mods just lying about in my inventory and i'm not sure how to distribute them effectively. Shields are a no-brainer if you want a portal to stick around for a while, as are turrets, but i get so few of those that i cant put them everywhere. Which leads me to the other mods, like link amps and multihacks, which i've yet to really get the value of

also i just had the epiphany of O RIGHT you need all 3 portal's keys in order to set up control field DURR HURR

I have no expectations of holding turf. I live in the most densely populated neighborhood in New England, I work in an area that includes top notch world class hospitals and some pretty solid universities (within, like a 5 block radius), and I go to a community college. There's quite a bit out in my girlfriend's new neighborhood, surprisingly, but it is blue as fuck and I'm only there from Friday night to Monday morning.

I worked with local Enlightened and we made my whole neighborhood green. I went to sleep and all of our work was undone.

Nephew Twiddleton

I will note, though, that I regularly hack LMNO's portals, since I pass by his area of employment on the way to mine.

LMNO

It's not a good idea to become too territorial with your portals, but I do have a "couchie" and a "deskie" I like to think of as MINE (that is, a portal always in range of where I sit during work, and a portal in range of my living room).  I basically check them throughout the day, see how they're doing, and if they get hit, I can flip them easily.

As far as making some place 'your turf', there are two approaches.  One, you meet up with a bunch of other players, and set up a large swath of L8 portals and fields.  Those can last for a few days, if it's in the middle of a cycle.

The other way is to be a total pain in the ass, and patrol the area at least once a day, if not more (at work, I usually do a circuit around my building in the morning, go exploring/farming at lunch, and then circle again when I'm going home).  Unless you're deep in enemy territory, they'll eventually move on.

In the end though, the only real way to maintain control is to have a lot of people in the same area working together.  On the other hand, it can get kind of boring.  My work neighborhood is almost always green, so there's not much to do aside from the occasional raids.  I have to do some serious walking to get some action.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

My neighborhood is mostly solidly green, but sometimes raiding parties rip through and turn everything blue. Like LMNO said, it gets a little boring if you aren't on a border between serious blue and serious green territory.

I've observed that, at least in Portland, I can fairly reliably predict which faction will control a neighborhood by the neighborhood's financial demographic. Million-dollar condos and houses are always gonna be blue, modest apartments and middle-class bungalows almost always green. University area: green. Museum area: blue.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Did you guys see all the new badges? I got leveled up to 10 thanks to the Trekker badge.

I can't figure out which portal I've had for 33 days. If I could figure it out I'd probably work harder at protecting it.

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on December 16, 2014, 03:33:03 PM
My neighborhood is mostly solidly green, but sometimes raiding parties rip through and turn everything blue. Like LMNO said, it gets a little boring if you aren't on a border between serious blue and serious green territory.

I've observed that, at least in Portland, I can fairly reliably predict which faction will control a neighborhood by the neighborhood's financial demographic. Million-dollar condos and houses are always gonna be blue, modest apartments and middle-class bungalows almost always green. University area: green. Museum area: blue.

Yeah, the burbs definitely seem pretty blue here as well. Which is interesting, but not wholly surprising. Things are going good, don't ruin that for me vs. things could be better, let's see what we can do with this.

Interestingly, I know a guy who thinks of Enlightened as serving some nefarious purpose and that's why he chose it. A bit of an outlier, there, being philosophically aligned with his enemies instead of his allies, but then again, he's a bit of an odd dude.

LMNO

Yeah, I got a silver Trekker, 48km more to gold, and I'm working on the Engineer (modding a portal).

33 days?  Damn, that's impressive.