News:

You're miserable, edgy and tired. You're in the perfect mood for PD.com.

Main Menu

UNLIMITED GOP 2012 PRIMARY CANDIDATE THREAD

Started by LMNO, March 03, 2011, 02:58:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: V3X on October 18, 2012, 05:58:11 PM
It's also perfectly legal to require your employees to attend a particular political rally - even under threats of firing.

Technically not legal...BUT WHO'S COUNTING?
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Nephew Twiddleton

Recently not much. But being a green doesnt stop me from voting for democrats when i find it necessary to do so.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Nephew Twiddleton on October 18, 2012, 06:03:14 PM
Recently not much. But being a green doesnt stop me from voting for democrats when i find it necessary to do so.

Well, there you go.  You are all set.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Cain

Voting Green has two vital functions:

a) it causes Democrat partisans to spazz out hilariously, and
b) it allows Democrat partisans to engage in a chorus of thanksralphery, regardless of the topic of discussion.  They will then exhort left-leaning Democrats to shun the heretics and stay true to the Faith.

Both of the above are really one thing, but the spazzing is so hilarious it deserves two mentions.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Cain on October 18, 2012, 06:04:37 PM

b) it allows Democrat partisans to engage in a chorus of thanksralphery, regardless of the topic of discussion.  They will then exhort left-leaning Democrats to shun the heretics and stay true to the Faith.

Both of the above are really one thing, but the spazzing is so hilarious it deserves two mentions.

That, totally.

Of course, if everyone who registers Green and/or says that they're "really more aligned with the Green party" actually VOTED Green, we would have a viable third party and probably set the Democratic party scrambling to reclaim the Left.

Unfortunately, it seems like half the Greens don't bother voting because it's "no use", and the other half vote Democratic for the same reason, which means that being a member of the Green party is enacting exactly as much change as hanging Tibetan prayer flags on your porch.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Cain

Quote from: Man Green on October 18, 2012, 06:16:13 PM

That, totally.

Of course, if everyone who registers Green and/or says that they're "really more aligned with the Green party" actually VOTED Green, we would have a viable third party and probably set the Democratic party scrambling to reclaim the Left.

Unfortunately, it seems like half the Greens don't bother voting because it's "no use", and the other half vote Democratic for the same reason, which means that being a member of the Green party is enacting exactly as much change as hanging Tibetan prayer flags on your porch.

John Caruso has a parable on this topic:

QuoteJohn Feffer bewails the lack of any alternative to the Democratic Party:

QuoteWe don't have our own party, which would say yes to things we like. True, we have the Green Party and assorted groupuscules. But I'm talking about a viable, national party that secures the votes of the 16 percent of Americans who identify themselves as progressives, and can win a governing majority by crafting arguments that appeal to the two-thirds of Americans who support progressive ideas.

Got that?  We don't have a national party that says yes to things we like, except for the national party that says yes to things we like.  But the Green Party doesn't count because it's not "viable"—meaning it hasn't somehow managed to garner the votes of the 16% of Americans who identify as progressives, but who refuse to vote for it until the 16% of Americans who identify as progressives have already voted for it.

Call me pedantic, but I can't help but sense a subtle logical flaw here.

Liberals like Feffer (and he's far from being the only one) apparently want to see a new "progressive" party spring to life fully formed like Athena popping out of Zeus's skull, somehow instantly gaining ballot access in all 50 states and going directly from non-existence to 16% of the national vote in a single election cycle—though they themselves won't actually vote for this miracle party until the next election cycle, once it's a known "viable" quantity.  And until all of that happens, they refuse to throw their vote away!  On anyone but the Democrats, that is.

I sometimes imagine a dialog with a drowning liberal:

DROWNING LIBERAL: Help!  Help!

ME: You seem to be drowning.  Here, let me throw you this life preserver.

DL: No!  How do I know that life preserver is viable?  It might dissolve on contact with salt water!  I won't grab it unless I see twenty million other people use it first!

ME: Well, that's up to you.  But I have to say that no matter what, I think it'd be better than what you're holding on to now.

DL: You mean this anchor?

ME: Yeah, that.

DL: Well, it's very easy to say that, but how can I be sure?  That life preserver may never have been tested in the water, whereas this anchor is obviously a viable seafaring device!  Sure, in some ideal world the life preserver might be better, but this anchor is serving its intended purpose in the actual ocean right now!  And furthermore <glub glub glub>.

You might be tempted to feel sorry for poor DL, but don't worry—there are millions more exactly like him.

Nephew Twiddleton

:lulz:

pretty much.

Also the fact that i live in massachusetts which is not going to damage obamas chances one bit.

I will be voting for warren as i want fewer republicans in congress.

The throwing away my vote thing drives me a little nuts. It implies also that liberals arent voting for someone so much as against someone else. Which i am doing for the senate race but you know. Grant money signs my paycheck.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Anna Mae Bollocks

That, totally.

With the exception that the prayer flags look pretty and mindfuck your neighbors (at least around here).

Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division

Luna

Death-dealing hormone freak of deliciousness
Pagan-Stomping Valkyrie of the Interbutts™
Rampaging Slayer of Shit-Fountain Habitues

"My father says that almost the whole world is asleep. Everybody you know, everybody you see, everybody you talk to. He says that only a few people are awake, and they live in a state of constant, total amazement."

Quote from: The Payne on November 16, 2011, 07:08:55 PM
If Luna was a furry, she'd sex humans and scream "BEASTIALITY!" at the top of her lungs at inopportune times.

Quote from: Nigel on March 24, 2011, 01:54:48 AM
I like the Luna one. She is a good one.

"Stop talking to yourself.  You don't like you any better than anyone else who knows you."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Cain on October 18, 2012, 06:20:57 PM

That, totally.

John Caruso has a parable on this topic:

QuoteJohn Feffer bewails the lack of any alternative to the Democratic Party:

QuoteWe don't have our own party, which would say yes to things we like. True, we have the Green Party and assorted groupuscules. But I'm talking about a viable, national party that secures the votes of the 16 percent of Americans who identify themselves as progressives, and can win a governing majority by crafting arguments that appeal to the two-thirds of Americans who support progressive ideas.

Got that?  We don't have a national party that says yes to things we like, except for the national party that says yes to things we like.  But the Green Party doesn't count because it's not "viable"—meaning it hasn't somehow managed to garner the votes of the 16% of Americans who identify as progressives, but who refuse to vote for it until the 16% of Americans who identify as progressives have already voted for it.

Call me pedantic, but I can't help but sense a subtle logical flaw here.

Liberals like Feffer (and he's far from being the only one) apparently want to see a new "progressive" party spring to life fully formed like Athena popping out of Zeus's skull, somehow instantly gaining ballot access in all 50 states and going directly from non-existence to 16% of the national vote in a single election cycle—though they themselves won't actually vote for this miracle party until the next election cycle, once it's a known "viable" quantity.  And until all of that happens, they refuse to throw their vote away!  On anyone but the Democrats, that is.

I sometimes imagine a dialog with a drowning liberal:

DROWNING LIBERAL: Help!  Help!

ME: You seem to be drowning.  Here, let me throw you this life preserver.

DL: No!  How do I know that life preserver is viable?  It might dissolve on contact with salt water!  I won't grab it unless I see twenty million other people use it first!

ME: Well, that's up to you.  But I have to say that no matter what, I think it'd be better than what you're holding on to now.

DL: You mean this anchor?

ME: Yeah, that.

DL: Well, it's very easy to say that, but how can I be sure?  That life preserver may never have been tested in the water, whereas this anchor is obviously a viable seafaring device!  Sure, in some ideal world the life preserver might be better, but this anchor is serving its intended purpose in the actual ocean right now!  And furthermore <glub glub glub>.

You might be tempted to feel sorry for poor DL, but don't worry—there are millions more exactly like him.

:lulz: SPOT FUCKING ON.  :horrormirth:

Verbal Mike

Unless stated otherwise, feel free to copy or reproduce any text I post anywhere and any way you like. I will never throw a hissy-fit over it, promise.

Cain

Two thirds of the foreign policy debate tonight are going to be about the Middle East.

You know, I've checked a map, and two-thirds of the world that is not America is not, in fact, located in the Middle East.  Shocking, right?  In fact, the entire debate could be renamed "Talk about China and Iran and terrorism" because actually those are the only questions on the list.

So, that leaves out: The Eurozone Crisis, a resurgent Russia, NATO (could link all three of those together), sub-Saharan Africa (always neglected), India (only a billion population strong nuclear power), North Korea and Latin America.  You could also throw in things like global warming, international financial policy, arms controls etc which apparently also are not worthy of discussion.

tyrannosaurus vex

Their answers to all those are the same, though.
Evil and Unfeeling Arse-Flenser From The City of the Damned.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Cain on October 22, 2012, 07:33:47 AM
Two thirds of the foreign policy debate tonight are going to be about the Middle East.

You know, I've checked a map, and two-thirds of the world that is not America is not, in fact, located in the Middle East.  Shocking, right?  In fact, the entire debate could be renamed "Talk about China and Iran and terrorism" because actually those are the only questions on the list.

So, that leaves out: The Eurozone Crisis, a resurgent Russia, NATO (could link all three of those together), sub-Saharan Africa (always neglected), India (only a billion population strong nuclear power), North Korea and Latin America.  You could also throw in things like global warming, international financial policy, arms controls etc which apparently also are not worthy of discussion.

You have to remember that they're performing in front of Americans.

I could create a map of the world as seen by Americans, if you like.  It may give you an insight into the thought processes of the po'bucker in the street.