News:

Testimonial: "None of you seem aware of quite how bad you are. I mean I'm pretty outspoken on how bad the internet has gotten, but this is up there with the worst."

Main Menu

Buckyballs, extending MY life? It's freaking strange no matter how you cut it.

Started by Kai, April 20, 2012, 01:45:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kai

If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

Nephew Twiddleton

Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Kai

Quote from: Nephew Twiddleton on April 20, 2012, 01:51:38 AM
That is weird....

Seems that the fasting aspect may be confounding. Low calorie diets alone extend the lifespan of mice. Still, fullerine has weird properties.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: ZL 'Kai' Burington, M.S. on April 20, 2012, 01:52:56 AM
Quote from: Nephew Twiddleton on April 20, 2012, 01:51:38 AM
That is weird....

Seems that the fasting aspect may be confounding. Low calorie diets alone extend the lifespan of mice. Still, fullerine has weird properties.

Yeah, but a 90% increase in lifespan? What's the usual increase for fasting rodents?
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Triple Zero

I didn't quite get whether they let the control group fast or not?

Cause if not, why??
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrowâ„¢
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Triple Zero on April 20, 2012, 03:35:08 PM

Cause if not, why??

Yeah, that article just didn't bother with a lot of very relevant details. A link to the full text is here: http://extremelongevity.net/wp-content/uploads/C60-Fullerene.pdf
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Kai

Quote from: Nigel on April 20, 2012, 03:46:27 PM

Cause if not, why??

Yeah, that article just didn't bother with a lot of very relevant details. A link to the full text is here: http://extremelongevity.net/wp-content/uploads/C60-Fullerene.pdf

Quote4 groups of 3 rats

They think 12 is an adequate sample size?

ETA: Wait, wrong section....wait...they think 18 is an adequate sample size? If half of those are controls, there were only 9 actually tested for survival. Not saying their conclusions are wrong, just that at lower sample sizes outliers tend to be magnified.

On the other hand....100% of fullerine tested rats alive after 38 months, while all the water control rats were dead from aging.

ETA2: No, not 9 control. 6 control, six olive oil treatment, and six fullerine treated rats.

Bruno

Fullerenes seem like something that would be extravagantly expensive. Maybe that would explain the small sample size.
Formerly something else...

Kai

Quote from: Emo Howard on April 21, 2012, 02:48:44 AM
Fullerenes seem like something that would be extravagantly expensive. Maybe that would explain the small sample size.

1 g is 45 USD.
They used 50 mg in the entire study.

A more likely reason why they don't have a high sample size is ethical concerns. Or, maybe not, since they "sacrificed" 60 rats for another part of the experiment.

Maybe it was more an issue of keeping an experiment going for several years (38 - 55 months).

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: ZL 'Kai' Burington, M.S. on April 21, 2012, 01:02:10 AM

Cause if not, why??

Quote4 groups of 3 rats

ETA: Wait, wrong section....wait...they think 18 is an adequate sample size? If half of those are controls, there were only 9 actually tested for survival. Not saying their conclusions are wrong, just that at lower sample sizes outliers tend to be magnified.

On the other hand....100% of fullerine tested rats alive after 38 months, while all the water control rats were dead from aging.

ETA2: No, not 9 control. 6 control, six olive oil treatment, and six fullerine treated rats.

It's adequate information to get funding for additional study.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Kai

Quote from: Nigel on April 21, 2012, 03:09:58 AM

Cause if not, why??

Quote4 groups of 3 rats

That's it right there.

Also, another thing. From the numbers, it looks like the main objective was testing toxicity, and they decided to see if there were any long term effects as well. They were likely surprised to find the rats lived so long, and decided to make that a focal point of the paper and press release. It was a happy accidental discovery. Those are the best.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: ZL 'Kai' Burington, M.S. on April 21, 2012, 03:43:12 AM
Quote from: Nigel on April 21, 2012, 03:09:58 AM

Cause if not, why??

Quote4 groups of 3 rats

That's it right there.

Also, another thing. From the numbers, it looks like the main objective was testing toxicity, and they decided to see if there were any long term effects as well. They were likely surprised to find the rats lived so long, and decided to make that a focal point of the paper and press release. It was a happy accidental discovery. Those are the best.

Totally! I am fascinated to see what research develops from this.

Bruno

Quote from: ZL 'Kai' Burington, M.S. on April 21, 2012, 02:58:39 AM
Quote from: Emo Howard on April 21, 2012, 02:48:44 AM

1 g is 45 USD.
They used 50 mg in the entire study.

A more likely reason why they don't have a high sample size is ethical concerns. Or, maybe not, since they "sacrificed" 60 rats for another part of the experiment.

Maybe it was more an issue of keeping an experiment going for several years (38 - 55 months).

Oh, wow. I had no idea.

Cardinal Pizza Deliverance.

I find it entertaining that something called 'buckyballs' has serious scientific applications. I am also interested in seeing where the research goes with this stuff.
Weevil-Infested Badfun Wrongsex Referee From The 9th Earth
Slick and Deranged Wombat of Manhood Questioning
Hulking Dormouse of Lust and DESPAIRâ„¢
Gatling Geyser of Rainbow AIDS

"The only way we can ever change anything is to look in the mirror and find no enemy." - Akala  'Find No Enemy'.

Bruno

"You'd think it'd be something you have to freebase." -Phillip J Fry