George Monbiot suggests taxing empty bedrooms

Started by BabylonHoruv, January 04, 2011, 10:43:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gray Jester

Quote from: Suu on January 05, 2011, 03:47:22 PM
I now have the theme song from Disney's Robin Hood in my head...

Which is actually a metaphor for state's rights.  My Virginia education told me so.
I am a surrealist.  It makes me feel more knightly.

Phox

KNOCK IT OFF.

DAMNIT SUU! STOP PUTTING THING INTO MY HEAD!  :argh!:

Fujikoma

Serial killer rapists rejoice! George Monbiot is looking out for your twisted desires! Ugh.

The Good Reverend Roger

The lesson here, kids, is this:  Even your home is not your own.  You live there on sufferance, and if you aren't ready to take in a random homeless person, you will pay for it.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Cain

George Monbiot has roughly zero political power, I should point out.  No-one listens to him.

Suu

Quote from: Gray Jester on January 05, 2011, 04:15:51 PM

Which is actually a metaphor for state's rights.  My Virginia education told me so.

Dah ba dee ba dee ba doh doh is a metaphor for state rights?
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Cain

Although, somewhat ironically, his suggestions along this line are almost the mirror-opposite of Tory economic reductionism which suggests that, among other things, giving incredibly minor tax breaks to married couples will prevent them from breaking up (because, you know, love is another word for "an extra £10 a week") and that punishing those on Jobseekers will encourage them to find jobs which dont actually exist.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: The Poster With No Name on January 05, 2011, 04:43:03 PM
George Monbiot has roughly zero political power, I should point out.  No-one listens to him.

:sad:
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Phox

Quote from: Suu on January 05, 2011, 04:44:23 PM
Quote from: Gray Jester on January 05, 2011, 04:15:51 PM

Dah ba dee ba dee ba doh doh is a metaphor for state rights?

Yes. Yes it is.

And you put me on a goddamn youtube Disney song kick, Suu!

Fujikoma

"Under the Sea" from the little mermaid is actually a song about people who rat on the mafia.

Cain

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on January 05, 2011, 04:51:39 PM
Quote from: The Poster With No Name on January 05, 2011, 04:43:03 PM

:sad:

Never fear.  I am pretty sure the inspiration behind this particular is the "paternalistic libertarianism" espoused by the Dynamic Duo Cass Sunstein and Richard Thaler, who do heavily influence our government's thinking.  The above two examples in my previous post were dreamed up after Cameron read their book.  Apparently, they had this revolutionary idea where you could discourage certain kinds of activities, and promote others, by an arcane political method called "placing taxes" on those kinds of behaviour you wished to discourage and by "lowering taxes" on those kinds of behaviour you wish to encourage.  It's all very complicated, I am assured by politicial scientists and economists, and possibly the most groundbreaking economic theorem since Adam Smith wrote The Wealth of Nations.

Suu

Quote from: Fujikoma on January 05, 2011, 04:55:27 PM
"Under the Sea" from the little mermaid is actually a song about people who rat on the mafia.

....The fluke is the duke of Sole soul?

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Phox

Suu

Phox

Quote from: Suu on January 05, 2011, 05:10:30 PM
Quote from: Doktor Phox on January 05, 2011, 05:05:59 PM
"A Whole New World" is about anal sex.

"Down Kitty...take off your clothes?"

"Don't you dare close your eyes... Hold your breath it gets better..."  :lulz: