News:

Already planning a hunger strike against the inhumane draconian right winger/neoliberal gun bans. Gun control is also one of the worst forms of torture. Without guns/weapons its like merely existing and not living.

Main Menu

Atlas Shrugged. April 15. Is your body ready?

Started by Prince Glittersnatch III, April 12, 2011, 12:09:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ñͤͣ̄ͦ̌̑͗͊͛͂͗ ̸̨̨̣̺̼̣̜͙͈͕̮̊̈́̈͂͛̽͊ͭ̓͆ͅé ̰̓̓́ͯ́́͞

Quote from: Luna on April 12, 2011, 04:20:49 AM
Quote from: ☄ · · · N E T · · · ☄ on April 12, 2011, 04:19:55 AM
Quote from: Luna on April 12, 2011, 04:17:51 AM
April 15th?  Sorry, busy, have to wash my cat and release the infuriated furball into the theater.

Fixed.

I see you've met my cat.   :lulz:

I'm not sure "met" is the right word..

edit: slightly improved joke.
P E R   A S P E R A   A D   A S T R A

Luna

Death-dealing hormone freak of deliciousness
Pagan-Stomping Valkyrie of the Interbutts™
Rampaging Slayer of Shit-Fountain Habitues

"My father says that almost the whole world is asleep. Everybody you know, everybody you see, everybody you talk to. He says that only a few people are awake, and they live in a state of constant, total amazement."

Quote from: The Payne on November 16, 2011, 07:08:55 PM
If Luna was a furry, she'd sex humans and scream "BEASTIALITY!" at the top of her lungs at inopportune times.

Quote from: Nigel on March 24, 2011, 01:54:48 AM
I like the Luna one. She is a good one.

"Stop talking to yourself.  You don't like you any better than anyone else who knows you."

LMNO

Quote from: Nigel on April 12, 2011, 01:03:26 AM
I like how people are supposed to "demand" that the movie be played in their town. :lulz: I think that the free market isn't gonna be on their side...

Indeed!

Slyph

Quote from: Lord Glittersnatch on April 12, 2011, 01:17:49 AM
Ive never read Atlas Shrugged (tl;dr) but I know Ayn Rand was really critical of religion, especially Christianity. How often is that brough up in Atlas Shrugged?

Hardly at all. Originally, James Taggart was going to be written as a conflicted, religious guy, but that was thrown out in favour of sticking to one dimension per character.

If you look at a lot of what Rand said, it's really, really obvious that she moderated her view of religion tactically through self-censorship to make Objectivism more saliable.  :lulz:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTf6NK0wsiA

Placid Dingo

Yeah. I read it this year and the anti-religion angle wasn't very clear.

Neither was there anything that was obviously rape, although I recall one character being mighty proud of the fact that he wasn't murdering his wife, seeing as how she was being terribly unfair by being critical of his cheating on her.
Haven't paid rent since 2014 with ONE WEIRD TRICK.

Luna

Quote from: Placid Dingo on April 13, 2011, 02:45:49 PM

Neither was there anything that was obviously rape, although I recall one character being mighty proud of the fact that he wasn't murdering his wife, seeing as how she was being terribly unfair by being critical of his cheating on her.

:argh!:

He should have been down on his knees thanking all that's holy that she didn't geld him in his sleep.

"My father says that almost the whole world is asleep. Everybody you know, everybody you see, everybody you talk to. He says that only a few people are awake, and they live in a state of constant, total amazement."

If Luna was a furry, she'd sex humans and scream "BEASTIALITY!" at the top of her lungs at inopportune times.

"Stop talking to yourself.  You don't like you any better than anyone else who knows you."

hooplala

Quote from: Lord Glittersnatch on April 12, 2011, 01:17:49 AM
Ive never read Atlas Shrugged (tl;dr) but I know Ayn Rand was really critical of religion, especially Christianity. How often is that brough up in Atlas Shrugged?

I read the Fountainhead and surprisingly enjoyed it, but I could not slog through Atlas Shrugged.  I gave it the college try, and made it about halfway through, but it's just not fun.

In the half I read religion wasn't brought up very often.  It's touched on in The Fountainhead, but still not much.

As for the copyright issues, I would imagine Objectivists are fine with it... it probably falls under property rights, which they are also heavily in favour of.  Objectivists aren't anarchists.
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

hooplala

Quote from: Thurnez Isa on April 12, 2011, 01:34:05 AM
It's been about 10 years since I read it (and I have no plans to revisit it ever)
but I do remember it being anti-religious at least to a degree I came out of the book understanding that objectivism was indeed atheistic even without knowing anything about the philosophy previously.
I figure they will cut that part. It's technically not changing any of the dialogue if it isn't even there.
She also rejects families and family values completely. Figure that part might be cut out. Or maybe FreedomWorks actually doesn't realize who inhabits the tea party movement.

Um, how would that be cut out?  It's basically Rearden's entire plotline.

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman

hooplala

The rape scene is in the Fountainhead... Atlas Shrugged just has rough sex, and lots of it.

Rand herself didn't consider the scene in the Fountainhead as rape, though by todays definitions it definitely is.  Hell even by definitions of rape in the 40s it probably was.  Rand herself said that if the scene was rape it was "rape by engraved invitation".

But she herself admitted she wasn't a feminist by a longshot, and was of the opinion that a woman's rightful role was as a "hero worshipper".

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Luna on April 13, 2011, 02:47:49 PM

He should have been down on his knees thanking all that's holy that she didn't geld him in his sleep.

That would be the more common reaction. Bear in mind Ayn Rand and her boyfriend were both married to other people at the time, and they had their spouses' permission to date each other. Presumably because Ayn gave the wife the crazy eyes and scared her into agreeing. Mr. Rand probably agreed so he wouldn't have to sleep with her.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

hooplala

If it's the character I am thinking of they were BOTH bags of douche, and should have been gassed in their sleep.

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman

Luna

Quote from: Doktor Blight on April 13, 2011, 03:52:09 PM

That would be the more common reaction. Bear in mind Ayn Rand and her boyfriend were both married to other people at the time, and they had their spouses' permission to date each other. Presumably because Ayn gave the wife the crazy eyes and scared her into agreeing. Mr. Rand probably agreed so he wouldn't have to sleep with her.

It's my humble opinion and definition that if you've got permission, it's not "cheating."  If your partner objects, it IS cheating.  I've seen long-term open relationships that work for all involved, and I've seen them explode fairly spectacularly.  

Requia ☣

Quote from: Hoopla on April 13, 2011, 03:51:44 PM
The rape scene is in the Fountainhead... Atlas Shrugged just has rough sex, and lots of it.

Rand herself didn't consider the scene in the Fountainhead as rape, though by todays definitions it definitely is.  Hell even by definitions of rape in the 40s it probably was.  Rand herself said that if the scene was rape it was "rape by engraved invitation".

But she herself admitted she wasn't a feminist by a longshot, and was of the opinion that a woman's rightful role was as a "hero worshipper".

Atlas shrugged had the exact same scene, except she threw in a "yes" there, probably because of the crap she took from Fountainhead.   :lulz:
Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Luna on April 13, 2011, 03:56:25 PM
Quote from: Doktor Blight on April 13, 2011, 03:52:09 PM

It's my humble opinion and definition that if you've got permission, it's not "cheating."  If your partner objects, it IS cheating.  I've seen long-term open relationships that work for all involved, and I've seen them explode fairly spectacularly.  

I agree, just saying that there may have been some conflict to that permission that may have inspired that sort of thing.

Nephew Twiddleton

Or, maybe I'm reading too much into it and go with the simpler explanation of Ayn Rand was a very fucked up woman.