News:

Endorsement from MysticWicks: "The most fatuous, manipulative, and venomous people to be found here are all of the discordian genre."

Main Menu

HAW HAW HAW HAW!

Started by Doktor Howl, August 22, 2010, 07:42:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Requia ☣

More than I did at a call center.

They frequently do not of course.
Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.

BabylonHoruv

Quote from: Requia ☣ on August 23, 2010, 04:23:48 AM
Minimum wage is shit pay even at overtime.  It's what you expect to make at McDonald's, not as a highly skilled professional that works 70 hours a week.

Well sure, but you can't go making laws that say someone with so many years schooling is required to be paid a certain amount.  Salaried employees need to start some guilds.

(Note, I do not mean Guild as in a group in an MMPOG, I mean Guild as in Writer's Guild, like a Union, but for skilled labor)
You're a special case, Babylon.  You are offensive even when you don't post.

Merely by being alive, you make everyone just a little more miserable

-Dok Howl

Requia ☣

What I'm referring too is more a matter of not increasing a person's expected hours without increasing wages.  If you know going in that you'll only make 35k a year at 60 hours a week that's a different story, most people I know who work excessive hour were told it would be 40 hours a week.

Of course, that would require that employers actually be required to follow the clauses in contracts, verbal or written, which will never happen around here.

BabylonHoruv

Quote from: Requia ☣ on August 23, 2010, 04:33:14 AM
What I'm referring too is more a matter of not increasing a person's expected hours without increasing wages.  If you know going in that you'll only make 35k a year at 60 hours a week that's a different story, most people I know who work excessive hour were told it would be 40 hours a week.

Of course, that would require that employers actually be required to follow the clauses in contracts, verbal or written, which will never happen around here.

That's what I am saying about employees not knowing their rights.  If employers don't follow the contract (and you had definitely better get it in writing) you can file suit.  If you are making 35k a year you should be able to afford that.

-Dok Howl

Requia ☣

Only if you can prove in court that you were not in fact told that you would be fired if you don't sign the new contract.  (This happened to me, I checked and actually suing over it isn't feasible in my state).

BabylonHoruv

Quote from: Requia ☣ on August 23, 2010, 04:45:18 AM
Only if you can prove in court that you were not in fact told that you would be fired if you don't sign the new contract.  (This happened to me, I checked and actually suing over it isn't feasible in my state).

Back to needing guilds then.

-Dok Howl

East Coast Hustle

Quote from: BabylonHoruv on August 23, 2010, 04:36:07 AM
Quote from: Requia ☣ on August 23, 2010, 04:33:14 AM

That's what I am saying about employees not knowing their rights.  If employers don't follow the contract (and you had definitely better get it in writing) you can file suit.  If you are making 35k a year you should be able to afford that.

who the fuck that makes 35K a year can afford an attorney?

Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Remington

Is it plugged in?

Telarus

Commenting on the OP: Y'know, considering that I just watched a documentary on OPB where a mexican national was grabbed off the street and charged with murder, and even though everyone in the farmer's market he worked at told the documentary crew on camera that he was at the market at the time of the shooting, it still took him 4 years to fight his way up to an appeals court, and the only reason he was acquitted was he had a documentary camera crew following him around to film all of the "witnesses" who testified against him and had video proof to present to the appeals judge.....

Yeah.........

http://www.pbs.org/pov/presumedguilty/
Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!

Cain

Unless the Cartels are actually bankrolling this (even mob bosses need security, sometimes), they're not going to take kindly to some security enclave being dropped in the middle of Mexico.  Expect a Zeta with an RPG to visit the houses of anyone involved in this project, before it gets off the ground.

Bruno

That does it. I'm buying a burqa.

One with a built-in Faraday cage to block out any scans. I'll call them Freedom Burqastm.

Tinfoil hats are so 20th Century.
Formerly something else...

Triple Zero

I'm still kind of in denial about this. Cause we just had a couple of small privacy awareness victories over here (well a couple of months ago, even though the elections were a bunch of fail thanks to Wilders, the privacy awareness groups got quite a bit f media attention). For one of the least privacy-aware countries in Europe (can you believe NL has more phone taps than the US in absolute numbers ?? They even accidentally the entire lawyer-client confidentality), that's pretty good. Also Bits of Freedom (the Dutch EFF) is collection a "data leakage blackbook", with all the companies accidentally losing track of their privacy sensitive customer data, leaving USB sticks in taxis, getting their servers hacked etc, they're lobbying for forced disclosure of these kinds of things (that the company has to make it known they accidentally spilled their customers PI all over the Interwebz)

So, things were actually going well, on that account, for ONCE. So I'm just going to think "this is on the other side of the world and won't happen here" for a little while longer okay? I know it's not true and just a matter of time.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Adios

You should become familiar with RFID technology because you'll be hearing much more about it soon. Retailers adore the concept, and CNET News.com's own Alorie Gilbert wrote last week about how Wal-Mart and the U.K.-based grocery chain Tesco are starting to install  "smart shelves" with networked RFID readers. In what will become the largest test of the technology, consumer goods giant Gillette recently said it would purchase 500 million RFID tags from Alien Technology of Morgan Hill, Calif.

http://news.cnet.com/2010-1069-980325.html

Buyer Beware.

t becomes unnervingly easy to imagine a scenario where everything you buy that's more expensive than a Snickers will sport RFID tags, which typically include a 64-bit unique identifier yielding about 18 thousand trillion possible values. KSW-Microtec, a German company, has invented washable RFID tags designed to be sewn into clothing. And according to EE Times, the European central bank is considering embedding RFID tags into banknotes by 2005.

It becomes unnervingly easy to imagine a scenario where everything you buy that's more expensive than a Snickers will sport RFID tags.
That raises the disquieting possibility of being tracked though our personal possessions. Imagine: The Gap links your sweater's RFID tag with the credit card you used to buy it and recognizes you by name when you return. Grocery stores flash ads on wall-sized screens based on your spending patterns, just like in "Minority Report." Police gain a trendy method of constant, cradle-to-grave surveillance.

You can imagine nightmare legal scenarios that don't involve the cops. Future divorce cases could involve one party seeking a subpoena for RFID logs--to prove that a spouse was in a certain location at a certain time. Future burglars could canvass alleys with RFID detectors, looking for RFID tags on discarded packaging that indicates expensive electronic gear is nearby. In all of these scenarios, the ability to remain anonymous is eroded.

Triple Zero

Quote from: Charley Brown on August 23, 2010, 01:25:25 PM
You should become familiar with RFID technology because you'll be hearing much more about it soon.

You're talking to me? Of course I know about RFID. My biometrics are on my ID card in an RFID. It's mandatory to carry around. German hackers from the Chaos Computer Club conferences have demonstrated years ago you can read them out from a distance of 200 meters (1500ft, you need line of sight, afaik, but a high tower would work), already years ago. It's old news. Good chance that expensive specialized gov equipment could even get a range of a few miles or so, if they put some money on the research to realize it. Tracking everybody. They don't do it yet though.

They're also used in our Public Transport account cards and in library books. I hate the Public Transport chipcard thing, even though it is (after a long time of childhood problems) very userfriendly, you just need to hold your pass near one of the scanning posts. But it totally sucks that it also means they now have a database that knows when and where exactly I took a train and where to.

Quotet becomes unnervingly easy to imagine a scenario where everything you buy that's more expensive than a Snickers will sport RFID tags, which typically include a 64-bit unique identifier yielding about 18 thousand trillion possible values.

:|

Noooo. Not 18 thousand trillion. That's .. oh. That's 64 bits. That's um, 8 bytes. EIGHTTEEN THOUSAND TRILLION sounds a lot more impressive though.

Sorry for the cynical response, but there's a lot of REAL things that are bad and scary about RFID, and the EIGHTTEEN THOUSAND TRILLION number of UNIQUE POSSIBLE VALUES really isn't one of them.

QuoteKSW-Microtec, a German company, has invented washable RFID tags designed to be sewn into clothing. And according to EE Times, the European central bank is considering embedding RFID tags into banknotes by 2005.

they will be in our banknotes by 2005? better get familiar with them soon, then. I'm not sure if they actually went through with that though. There is some metal strip in most Euro notes, you can tell if you microwave them, they burn out. But I don't think it's RFID.

QuoteIt becomes unnervingly easy to imagine a scenario where everything you buy that's more expensive than a Snickers will sport RFID tags.
That raises the disquieting possibility of being tracked though our personal possessions. Imagine: The Gap links your sweater's RFID tag with the credit card you used to buy it and recognizes you by name when you return. Grocery stores flash ads on wall-sized screens based on your spending patterns, just like in "Minority Report." Police gain a trendy method of constant, cradle-to-grave surveillance.

You can imagine nightmare legal scenarios that don't involve the cops. Future divorce cases could involve one party seeking a subpoena for RFID logs--to prove that a spouse was in a certain location at a certain time. Future burglars could canvass alleys with RFID detectors, looking for RFID tags on discarded packaging that indicates expensive electronic gear is nearby. In all of these scenarios, the ability to remain anonymous is eroded.

These scenarios are really really unlikely cause most RFID chips are passive ones, which means they get a short range and you can only pick them up from a longer range with very targeted scanners.

And Grocery stores won't flash ads on wall-sized screens, regardless of RFID. I saw the tech for that at a demo in Philips hi-tech in EIndhoven. It's WAY to expensive, the only markets that might even consider getting that stuff are the Italian fashion scene and perhaps Dubai. IOW, people with cash to throw at useless crap.

Neither can future burglars "canvas" alleys with RFID detectors, that is utter bull crap. The RFID chips themselves might be dirt cheap, but the scanners sure as fuck aren't. That's the entire fucking point of the technology, the scanners are so expensive because the chips are such simple devices. Whoever wrote that article is an idiot, there's no way that burglars are going to scan passers-by and somehow automatically look up the average expensiveness of stuff they are carrying with them. There's a lot easier methods of guessing whether someone is carrying around cash or not.

As I said, RFID chips are a problem, they have some very real privacy issues indeed. But these are not them. In fact it's hurting the cause of privacy, by coming up with all these movie plot scenarios, when our rights are being eroded in VERY REAL ways RIGHT NOW.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Adios

After your comment in the other thread I guess it's just time for me to stop posting. Thanks.