News:

Proud member of the Vin Diesel Friendship Brigade

Main Menu

American Civics and your future.

Started by Adios, July 22, 2010, 02:43:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cain

Quote from: Doktor Alphapance on July 26, 2010, 02:42:58 PM
Also, if people tend not to use critical thinking in different contexts, and we know this, why don't the critical thinking classes stress that you need to be aware of different contexts?  To be self aware of potential pitfalls is to put a mental check on yourself.

I said that like two pages back

LMNO

I know, but I think it bears repeating, especially considering the specious argument against teaching critical thinking.

LMNO

Quote from: Cain on July 24, 2010, 12:06:32 PM
I've heard studies that suggest what Requia says is at least partially true, though I don't have the journal access to read the studies myself.

Anecdotally though, it seems to have some validity.  Atheists who are skeptical about religion, for example, but not economic fundamentalism.

Of course, that just suggests the need for lessons which show how to apply the methods to all these different facets.

To prove Cain got there first.

AFK

Quote from: RWHN on July 23, 2010, 03:18:39 PM
Critical Thinking and (Imma gonna beat this one into the ground) Media Literacy (TV, print, social media, etc.)

Both are skills and concepts both sides of the spectrum would embrace if you pitch it correctly.  And I agree critical thinking should be there from K to 12. 

And just to point out I pointed out early on that this wouldn't be a one-off class, and instead, a systematic delivery throughout the school career. 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Requia ☣

When i say single class, i don't mean one year, I mean one class at a time, k-12 or just 12 isn't what I'm talking about.
Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.

Adios

Quote from: Requia ☣ on July 26, 2010, 10:15:59 PM
When i say single class, i don't mean one year, I mean one class at a time, k-12 or just 12 isn't what I'm talking about.

Other than it can't be done, exactly what the hell ARE you saying?

Requia ☣

Quote from: Requia ☣ on July 26, 2010, 03:23:33 PM
Hmm, perhaps we need to rethink the idea of teaching CT, instead of 1 class, it should be intertwined with all the classes.  More difficult, but potentially vastly more useful.

I thought you flounced from this thread?
Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.

Adios

Quote from: Requia ☣ on July 27, 2010, 01:52:26 AM
Hmm, perhaps we need to rethink the idea of teaching CT, instead of 1 class, it should be intertwined with all the classes.  More difficult, but potentially vastly more useful.

I started this thread. It's YOU I am sick of.

Eve

It'd be nice if they could weave civics into some sort of Real Life Skills class that students would have to pass, at some point during the 4 years, to graduate high school. Other topics would include personal finance, the nightmare that is insurance, social vs. business connections, and.. I don't know, fucking time management.

I know the stronger need is to incorporate it into all subjects for all years--not to mention how beyond difficult it would be to convince the board of ed to add another course option, much less a required one--but I recall wishing this information was better communicated in school by age 15 or so.
Emotionally crippled narcissist.

Nast

Quote from: Eve on July 27, 2010, 04:32:44 AM
It'd be nice if they could weave civics into some sort of Real Life Skills class that students would have to pass, at some point during the 4 years, to graduate high school. Other topics would include personal finance, the nightmare that is insurance, social vs. business connections, and.. I don't know, fucking time management.

I know the stronger need is to incorporate it into all subjects for all years--not to mention how beyond difficult it would be to convince the board of ed to add another course option, much less a required one--but I recall wishing this information was better communicated in school by age 15 or so.

School in itself, I think, is a preparation for some aspects of life. But it would be nice if they did teach specific life skills. I mean, nowadays things like cooking and cleaning are considered humdrum, but there still are a whole load of skills that get over-looked until you need them and then you think "Oh no, how am I supposed to do this?".

When I was in 7th grade our math teacher put the normal lesson aside to teach us about bank accounts and how to write a personal check. But that was a private school, I doubt things like that would go over in a public school environment.
"If I owned Goodwill, no charity worker would feel safe.  I would sit in my office behind a massive pile of cocaine, racking my pistol's slide every time the cleaning lady came near.  Auditors, I'd just shoot."

AFK

Quote from: Requia ☣ on July 26, 2010, 10:15:59 PM

Huh?  You want to try that sentence again? 

In any event, I was pretty clear that any element of critical thinking woven into the curricula would have to be systematic and designed to hit every grade level in school.  So either way your assertion was wrong.  Just own up to it or stfu. 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Adios

Moot point now I guess.

Washington (CNN) - The House is expected to vote Tuesday on a scaled-back version of its original war funding bill, which would drop billions of dollars for unrelated domestic programs, including money to help struggling states avoid teacher layoffs.

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/?fbid=fL9v4Hjua92

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Requia ☣ on July 27, 2010, 01:52:26 AM
Hmm, perhaps we need to rethink the idea of teaching CT, instead of 1 class, it should be intertwined with all the classes.  More difficult, but potentially vastly more useful.

Why do you do this shit?
Molon Lube