News:

Endorsement from MysticWicks: "The most fatuous, manipulative, and venomous people to be found here are all of the discordian genre."

Main Menu

ddate unix utility no longer part of binutils package.

Started by trix, October 10, 2014, 04:55:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Sadly, it looks like all shipping options are outside of  my current budget. :( Cheapest is about $80, which is great for a computer but more than I have. Thanks though!
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

trix

Ick, yeah that's a bit much just to get it there.  Sorry =(.

How about you, NET?  Still interested?

Too bad you guys are so far away, I've kind of become the local Free Computer Store and fix upgrade or work on people's computers for whatever random thing they want to offer, or nothing at all because I enjoy doing it and get leftover parts from it.
There's good news tonight.  And bad news.  First, the bad news: there is no good news.  Now, the good news: you don't have to listen to the bad news.
Zen Without Zen Masters

Quote from: Cain
Gender is a social construct.  As society, we get to choose your gender.

Telarus

A) Fuck that guy, that's messing with years of backwards compatibility. As a software tester by day, I shudder.

B) Nigel, if you want to go in on shipping, I may be able to do that next month. Probably cheeper to ship 2 together and then split it. I'd love another PC, as I've been looking at distributed rendering but only have 2 PCs in the house (you don't get that much time saving until 3+).
Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Telarus on October 11, 2014, 07:39:10 AM
A) Fuck that guy, that's messing with years of backwards compatibility. As a software tester by day, I shudder.

B) Nigel, if you want to go in on shipping, I may be able to do that next month. Probably cheeper to ship 2 together and then split it. I'd love another PC, as I've been looking at distributed rendering but only have 2 PCs in the house (you don't get that much time saving until 3+).

That's a good idea, let's look into that!
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

ñͤͣ̄ͦ̌̑͗͊͛͂͗ ̸̨̨̣̺̼̣̜͙͈͕̮̊̈́̈͂͛̽͊ͭ̓͆ͅé ̰̓̓́ͯ́́͞

Quote from: trix on October 11, 2014, 03:28:34 AM

Too bad you guys are so far away, I've kind of become the local Free Computer Store and fix upgrade or work on people's computers for whatever random thing they want to offer, or nothing at all because I enjoy doing it and get leftover parts from it.

Oh I'm definitely still interested! Could you clarify what the dimensions and approximate weight would be for the tower, monitor, and keyboard for each one separately?

QuoteDIMENSIONS:
H: 16.3" W: 7.3" D: 17.3"
WEIGHT: 25.8 lbs. for tower only, 43.5lbs including all packaging materials

That's just for the tower itself, the monitor will add more.

It seems like you're saying 43.5 lbs for the tower, monitor, and keyboard, but then on the next line you say it's only for the tower. I'm having trouble imagining an added 17.7 lbs in packaging materials? But If that additional weight is indeed packaging, could you snap a picture or describe it so I get a better sense of this weighty "packaging"?

Maybe it would be cheaper to pack the tower in one box, and the monitor, keyboard, and cords in another....

It looks like the tower could be shipped for $45 if you can pack it into this box: http://staples.packagingfinder.net/shop/PSTA067815600-C5.aspx Assuming you could use less than 5 pounds of old clothes (or something like that) as the shock absorbing element and it came out to a total packed weight of 30 lbs or less.
P E R   A S P E R A   A D   A S T R A

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I could swing $45.

I also don't need any peripherals, I have a monitor, keyboard, etc.

trix

Quote from: N E T on October 11, 2014, 08:42:27 AM
Quote from: trix on October 11, 2014, 03:28:34 AM

Oh I'm definitely still interested! Could you clarify what the dimensions and approximate weight would be for the tower, monitor, and keyboard for each one separately?

QuoteDIMENSIONS:
H: 16.3" W: 7.3" D: 17.3"
WEIGHT: 25.8 lbs. for tower only, 43.5lbs including all packaging materials

That's just for the tower itself, the monitor will add more.

It seems like you're saying 43.5 lbs for the tower, monitor, and keyboard, but then on the next line you say it's only for the tower. I'm having trouble imagining an added 17.7 lbs in packaging materials? But If that additional weight is indeed packaging, could you snap a picture or describe it so I get a better sense of this weighty "packaging"?

Maybe it would be cheaper to pack the tower in one box, and the monitor, keyboard, and cords in another....

It looks like the tower could be shipped for $45 if you can pack it into this box: http://staples.packagingfinder.net/shop/PSTA067815600-C5.aspx Assuming you could use less than 5 pounds of old clothes (or something like that) as the shock absorbing element and it came out to a total packed weight of 30 lbs or less.

I can see your confusion, the part with dimensions and weights is from the technical PDF that Dell has online for the Optiplex series, and I'm not exactly sure what it includes as "packaging".  As for "That's just the tower itself", I was either just overtired, or referring to physical dimensions rather than weight.  I agree that the weight difference seems like it has to include more than just packaging, but I don't know.  I have the original manuals and discs (including Acrobat 9 and CyberDVD and Office) for each and every computer (so a ton of copies) with all the CD-KEYS and such intact, that I will include.  But all together the discs and manuals weigh maybe 2 lbs or something.

But yeah, any options you guys want to explore i'm perfectly fine with, especially if it includes less individual trips to the shipping location =P

I don't know the weight of the peripherals, but the monitor is very small and LCD, probably like 2kg tops, and the keyboard is generic Dell USB keyboard and weighs less than a kilo.

I can ship peripherals separate if that helps, or whatever else you guys figure out.
There's good news tonight.  And bad news.  First, the bad news: there is no good news.  Now, the good news: you don't have to listen to the bad news.
Zen Without Zen Masters

Maybe I'm overly tired too and just not getting a clear picture here. Could you restate the dimensions and weight in the format listed below so I can get an accurate estimate of shipping costs?

Tower
Length:
Height:
Width:
Weight:

Monitor
Length:
Height:
Width:
Weight:

Keyboard
Length:

There is no way to accurately calculate the shipping costs or order the right size shipping boxes without this information. Also, do you have shock absorbing materials or a way of packing the tower and monitor without damaging them? Or would buying packing foam, bubble wrap, and inflatable packing bags be part of the shipping costs?

trix

The dimensions of the monitor and keyboard I have to guess at, as I can't find my tape measure anywhere.  The dimensions of the tower are from the DELL pdf and I can only assume is accurate, but have no way to be certain.

TOWER:
Height: 16.3"
Width: 7.3"
Depth: 17.3"
Weight: 25.8lbs

Monitor:
Height: 15" (including base)
Width: 17"
Depth: 7"?
Weight: 5-10lbs?

Keyboard:
Height: 1"
Width: 18"
Depth: 6"
Weight: 1 lb?

I can wrap the stuff to avoid damage, that's no problem.

I estimated the dimensions of monitor and keyboard by comparing it to the tower, assuming the dimensions for the tower are correct.

Also I will need to know if you want Windows Vista or any flavor of Linux or both, so I can install all of the software and drivers and updates.  These are pre-used for corporate purpose and must be reformatted via low-level format prior to shipping, as they contain private company info that must be removed.
Zen Without Zen Masters

Awesome!

I'd take Vista and Ubuntu. I know that doesn't leave a lot of space for stuff, but I have some external hard drives.

I'll look into shipping for the monitor/keyboard/manuals/etc, as I'm pretty sure it will fit into another one of those boxes I linked to. I can also help cover the cost of the shipping boxes.

I'll have to pay you in two installments over two weeks though, because I'm broke and stuff. Message me about payment details and we can get the ball rolling on that.

trix

Quote from: N E T on October 12, 2014, 05:00:27 PM
Awesome!

I'd take Vista and Ubuntu. I know that doesn't leave a lot of space for stuff, but I have some external hard drives.

I'll look into shipping for the monitor/keyboard/manuals/etc, as I'm pretty sure it will fit into another one of those boxes I linked to. I can also help cover the cost of the shipping boxes.

I'll have to pay you in two installments over two weeks though, because I'm broke and stuff. Message me about payment details and we can get the ball rolling on that.

Ok, well, once you find out the shipping prices and such just PM me.  As for payment, I don't do paypal so would Bitcoin be a problem?  I know the general feeling on BTC here can be summed up by the term "Bitcon" that I keep seeing, but as simply a medium for transfer of funds it works pretty well.  Or I could do some sort of COD or whatever through the shipping company, which personally I'd prefer, since that eliminates any risk for either of us losing money.  Not that I don't trust you, or that you shouldn't trust me, but on the internet it pays to be careful.

Also, regular Ubuntu, or one of the flavors of it?  I have a Linux Mint dvd already burnt for example, which is Ubuntu plus a few conveniences like mp3 decoder and official ATI drivers, etc.  There's also Kubuntu (Ubuntu with KDE instead of Gnome/Unity) and Xubuntu (Ubuntu with XFCE4 = lightweight minimalistic) and many others.

Also, the PC Tower has the CD-KEY for Windows Vista Business on it, which is fine, but I do have a Windows Vista Ultimate disc available to use that does not require CDKEY or activation.  Kind of a bit greyer on the legality front but I swear I'm not the internet police!  And Ultimate is loads better than Business.

In addition, I will be installing Service Pack 1 and 2 and all updates for Vista, as without them Vista is a buggy piece of shit that wont even let you install Java and will crash every ten minutes.

I should mention as well that if you decide to just bitcoin me the funds and trust me to keep my word, (though again I'd prefer C.O.D. or something), I can of course include pics/video of the huge piles of computers here so you can see for yourself that I have way too many of these goddamn things and badly need to be rid of some.
Zen Without Zen Masters

trix

Oh shit, forgot to mention, both versions of ATI graphics that come with these computers are old enough that the official ATI drivers for Linux no longer cover them, and thus the open-source radeon driver is all you get on Linux.  It works quite good still (I play FPS on Linux all the time - Xonotic is awesome on High Settings and lag-free), but you will notice somewhat better 3D performance on Windows with the official Catalyst drivers, and slightly worse 2D performance because the radeon open source driver is very well written (IMHO).
Zen Without Zen Masters

trix

Also, in the interest of giving me something interesting to do, do you mind if I custom-theme either (or both) operating system(s)?

Like, nifty Eris-themed startup images, auto-ddate, etc?  You would of course be able to change or undo anything you don't like, it's your computer, I just hate working on a computer with default themes =P. 

Also I want to waste a bunch of time making a custom cursor "busy" animation, from the regular hourglass to a spinning golden apple or something.  I've never made a cursor before and I kind of want to.  I wont remove the regular non-busy arrow though because cursors that are not an arrow annoy the crap out of me.

PS: Sorry for all the text.  Boring weekend.
Zen Without Zen Masters

Quote from: trix on October 12, 2014, 05:47:17 PM
Also, in the interest of giving me something interesting to do, do you mind if I custom-theme either (or both) operating system(s)?

Like, nifty Eris-themed startup images, auto-ddate, etc?  You would of course be able to change or undo anything you don't like, it's your computer, I just hate working on a computer with default themes =P. 

Also I want to waste a bunch of time making a custom cursor "busy" animation, from the regular hourglass to a spinning golden apple or something.  I've never made a cursor before and I kind of want to.  I wont remove the regular non-busy arrow though because cursors that are not an arrow annoy the crap out of me.

PS: Sorry for all the text.  Boring weekend.

I'd enjoy that! Also, COD works for me as I don't have any Bitcoin or a BC wallet.

trix

Ok cool, just two questions.

First, are you okay with Vista Ultimate given what I said above about the legal grey area, or would prefer a fully legit Vista Business instead?

Second:
Quote from: trix on October 12, 2014, 05:28:02 PM
Also, regular Ubuntu, or one of the flavors of it?
Zen Without Zen Masters