You have [3] new messages in your inbox

Main Menu

How come...

Started by Doktor Howl, October 24, 2014, 06:53:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: a somewhat wiser Joe. on October 25, 2014, 03:49:27 AM
Quote from: Your Mom on October 24, 2014, 08:41:48 PM

This is possibly a powerful weapon, could be used to the good to be sure..
But what if,
andi'mjustsayingwhatifhere,
this was worked into schleping prepper gardening kits?

Nice little safety box tighter than a Scandinavian seed vault?
Fertiliser pack 'sustainer' kits sold separately and a serious bulk discount?
70 year "stay sealed pledge"*

* Obnoxiously fine print about pledge being of no legal value

That's already being done. Thing is, a garden kit is of no use; if you don't already have a garden planted, you'll starve to death before harvest time anyway.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Doktor Howl

Unless you develop a taste for slower neighbors.

In any case, this is what a real survivalist looks like:

Odds are about 99.9% that you won't survive a year past a major collapse.

So you survive by making sure society doesn't collapse.  You don't do that by playing dress up with an assault rifle you most likely couldn't actually afford.  No, you do it by staying ahead of the curve.  Which means science and organization, no matter how much that chaps someone's "rugged individualist" ass.

You notice that the same freaks running around with high-priced toys are ALSO the freaks whining about taxes, etc?  They think a post-collapse world means not paying the bills.  They're right.  Bleached bones don't care about credit scores.
Molon Lube

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Doktor Howl on October 25, 2014, 05:48:58 AM

So you survive by making sure society doesn't collapse.  You don't do that by playing dress up with an assault rifle you most likely couldn't actually afford.  No, you do it by staying ahead of the curve.  Which means science and organization, no matter how much that chaps someone's "rugged individualist" ass.

You notice that the same freaks running around with high-priced toys are ALSO the freaks whining about taxes, etc?  They think a post-collapse world means not paying the bills.  They're right.  Bleached bones don't care about credit scores.

True, alla that.

Part of what science is all about is trying to figure out how we can survive -and the more of us as far from the edge as possible, the better- period. Especially right now, when the danger that is looming is a lot scarier and more terminal than Ebola or any other headline nonsense.

We're kind of at a critical point, here. And it's not that we haven't been, before, it's that we steamrollered right past previous critical points and now we might just be at (or past) the critical point of no return.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

It is definitely not a situation that guns can help with though. :lol:

Cain

Walking Dead jackoff fantasies roont, ITT.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Ben Shapiro

I love how people assume all scientists/engineers are just going to die off. Like if technicians won't teach basic maintenance to the community so the work load doesn't fall on them. Also in that scenario I will be poisoning the food of those fuck heads who were looking forward to this post mad max shit. Also I would be as vigilante as possible since those poor hopeless romantics tend to get what they want from women and children.

The Wizard Joseph

Fine... no trying to sell cheap G.E.C.K. knockoffs.

Howl's right I think. The only real chance at survival is no to allow collapse.

For some several reasons I think Wisconsin will endure well. I may post a thread to go in detail but my most basic point is abundant, easily accessible fresh water. Both for drinking and survival sciencing it's fundamental and we have lots. No water generally = no crops.

Quote from: Derrick Broze on October 25, 2014, 08:17:00 AM
I love how people assume all scientists/engineers are just going to die off. Like if technicians won't teach basic maintenance to the community so the work load doesn't fall on them. Also in that scenario I will be poisoning the food of those fuck heads who were looking forward to this post mad max shit. Also I would be as vigilante as possible since those poor hopeless romantics tend to get what they want from women and children.

Me too. And would actively recruit other post apocalyptic paladins to the cause. If goodness must be enforced so be it.
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."
- Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality :lulz:

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

"It's not even chaos anymore. It's BANAL."
- Doktor Hamish Howl

Cain

To be honest, the whole "post-apocalyptic" thing is pretty much a libertarian masturbatory fantasy anyway.  Government completely collapses tomorrow, a fresh slate upon which the new order can be built.  An interim where men are men, women are women and we all live in bunkers with our automatic weaponry, relying on our wits, selfishness and huge gold reserves to survive.

Because that's totally likely to happen.  It's not like governments around the world have continuity plans which stretch right down to the individual town level, and that should something happen to cause central government to lose control, that local government, law enforcement, local military deployments and similar will step into the breach.  And those plans are pretty damn detailed, and have quite extensive chains of command.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Cain on October 25, 2014, 04:11:24 PM
To be honest, the whole "post-apocalyptic" thing is pretty much a libertarian masturbatory fantasy anyway.

Yep.  That ^^  And This VV

QuoteGovernment completely collapses tomorrow, a fresh slate upon which the new order can be built.  An interim where men are men, women are women and we all live in bunkers with our automatic weaponry, relying on our wits, selfishness and huge gold reserves to survive.

Because that's totally likely to happen.  It's not like governments around the world have continuity plans which stretch right down to the individual town level, and that should something happen to cause central government to lose control, that local government, law enforcement, local military deployments and similar will step into the breach.  And those plans are pretty damn detailed, and have quite extensive chains of command.
Molon Lube

President Television

To be honest, the whole "post-apocalyptic" thing is pretty much a libertarian masturbatory fantasy anyway.  Government completely collapses tomorrow, a fresh slate upon which the new order can be built.  An interim where men are men, women are women and we all live in bunkers with our automatic weaponry, relying on our wits, selfishness and huge gold reserves to survive.

Eh, I could see the whole post-apocalyptic scenario happening in a very localized sense. I mean, small towns fall apart all the time even with a functioning federal infrastructure, for simple economic reasons. And then you have places like Detroit and Camden, New Jersey. But yeah, even then guns and bunkers would be incredibly unhelpful, and any inhabitants would likely die off at an alarming rate. About the closest I think we could get to the libertarian fantasy is a quasi-feudal state ruled by warlords and fundamentalists in the vein of Somalia. And unless they're willing to go out, organize(not likely) and raid farmers for their crops, these gun fetishists are ending up at the bottom of the shitheap. That's not even getting into the practical issue of whether there'd be enough unprotected farmland to survive on with banditry for a year, or how long it'd take law enforcement and military to start cleaning them up with overwhelming superiority in firepower, discipline, morale, numbers, and supplies.
My shit list: Stephen Harper, anarchists that complain about taxes instead of institutionalized torture, those people walking, anyone who lets a single aspect of themselves define their entire personality, salesmen that don't smoke pipes, Fredericton New Brunswick, bigots, philosophy majors, my nemesis, pirates that don't do anything, criminals without class, sociopaths, narcissists, furries, juggalos, foes.

LMNO

Please post this on FB so I can share the fuck out of it.

Reginald Ret

Quote from: a somewhat wiser Joe. on October 25, 2014, 03:37:27 PM
Fine... no trying to sell cheap G.E.C.K. knockoffs.
Why not? There is money to be made!
You can market to the Fallout fanboys and to the survivalists and to the gardeners!
Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on October 25, 2014, 05:58:41 PM
Please post this on FB so I can share the fuck out of it.

Seconded.

Cain

Quote from: President Television on October 25, 2014, 05:29:41 PM

Eh, I could see the whole post-apocalyptic scenario happening in a very localized sense. I mean, small towns fall apart all the time even with a functioning federal infrastructure, for simple economic reasons. And then you have places like Detroit and Camden, New Jersey. But yeah, even then guns and bunkers would be incredibly unhelpful, and any inhabitants would likely die off at an alarming rate. About the closest I think we could get to the libertarian fantasy is a quasi-feudal state ruled by warlords and fundamentalists in the vein of Somalia. And unless they're willing to go out, organize(not likely) and raid farmers for their crops, these gun fetishists are ending up at the bottom of the shitheap. That's not even getting into the practical issue of whether there'd be enough unprotected farmland to survive on with banditry for a year, or how long it'd take law enforcement and military to start cleaning them up with overwhelming superiority in firepower, discipline, morale, numbers, and supplies.

All good points.

However, I hasten to point out, most survivalist types live in advanced western nations.  In fact, they are almost exclusively American, Canadian or British.

And Somalia actually reinforces my point.  Somalia was not a powerful, rich or especially well developed state.  Siad Barre ran the place pretty badly, and in the aftermath of the civil war, what happened was power devolved to the clans and to customary religious institutions.  Some parts of the country, like Somaliland, emerged as almost fully functional states in the aftermath, and most of the actual zones of lawlessness and violence were the disputed lines of control between the various civil war factions - they were,in fact, warzones, and not the typical way of life for Somalis outside of those areas.  The civil war was the major cause of both the conflict and the collapse of the state.

If a state like Somalia can manage a collapse in such a fashion, governments with the resources and sophistication of the UK and USA are not likely to devolve into libertarian feudalism any time soon, even while weathering a major crisis.