News:

Yeah, fuckface! Get ready to be beaten down. Grrr! Internet ain't so safe now is it motherfucker! Shit just got real! Bam!

Main Menu

Choose Your Own GASM

Started by Cramulus, June 30, 2008, 01:35:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Voodoo

Quote from: Professor Cramulus on July 08, 2008, 03:06:53 PM
I think this is my favorite page so far:

http://principiadiscordia.com/Adventure/index.php?title=Page_12

true dat.

though I laughed out loud when I looked at the pic and read:
QuoteThe door opens and you see that there's a new bus driver this year. And it's a dog. In a blue hat.

LMNO

Hey, the "choose yr own adventure" logo in the top left corner is blocking out some of the adventure text.

Raphaella

I have done page 33, but I am unsure on what pages to link to, or how to add the links ect. If one of you wonderful spags could help me out with this I would be in your debt. All I've got is the bit of story, it needs the links and the options.
The sun shall be turned to darkness and the moon into blood before the coming of the great and terrible OZ

Epimetheus

It would be an honor to take part in this.
POST-SINGULARITY POCKET ORGASM TOAD OF RIGHTEOUSNESS

Golden Applesauce

Quote from: Professor Cramulus on July 07, 2008, 11:55:45 PM
Check out - Wiki talk page:

http://www.principiadiscordia.com/Adventure/index.php?title=Talk:Main_Page

Here's the idea: organize the wiki into 60-75 page stories. Each story should end roughly six steps after the beginning.

This will create managable story blocks which have definite endings and don't all just trail off into unwritten pages. We'll focus on each story until most of its endings are written. Then, as it slows down, we'll create a new story.

There's an emergent problem of how to name the pages. Because we don't want much crossover between stories. Two possible ideas:

• Each story has a page range. Story #2 is page 200-299, Story #3 is Page 300-399, etc
  • Each story has a small letter suffix. So the pages in story #2 are [[Page 1b]], [[Page 325b]], [[Page 15b]], etc

• Maybe it doesn't matter because people will eventually just be picking random page numbers like [[Page 023505]]. Accidental crossover between stories because it might actually be hilarious if several people accidentally linked to [[Page 23]] without knowing it already existed.

Which is the most intuitive?

remember: total morons will be using the site. THIS MEANS YUO.

Pages don't need numbers, just titles.  So you could just link to [[The Red Pill]] or whatever.  The purpose of the numbers in the original was so the reader could quickly find the target page; in a wiki, links do that.

If you wanted the classic feel, you could still have "..., turn to page [[23 | The Rabbit Hole]] or however that works in wikicode.  Actually, you could have ALL the options say "Turn to page 23." and just link to different places.
Q: How regularly do you hire 8th graders?
A: We have hired a number of FORMER 8th graders.

PeregrineBF

Exactly. You can have 20 links that say "page 11" but  link to totally different things. Link text and displayed text can be different.

Cramulus

thought: if we use page numbers, we could actually order the pages and print these.

Voodoo

I don't know if we can even use this, but I was bored:

And I totally agree on actual page numbers re: printing.

(edit to show agreement)

Verbal Mike

Not to mention, if we use page numbers we don't have to waste our originality on the fucking page titles. Also, several different places might lead to the same page via different actions (especially with YOU LOSE pages). We would need to be pretty creative to not give away what the destination says, if we had to name the pages.
I vote for page numbers.
Unless stated otherwise, feel free to copy or reproduce any text I post anywhere and any way you like. I will never throw a hissy-fit over it, promise.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

This is the awesomest thing ever! I can't believe I just now checked it out.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

PeregrineBF

Ok. Page numbers for the display text. The actual link text should probably be title_page or some such.

LMNO

Quote from: LMNO on July 08, 2008, 08:42:15 PM
Hey, the "choose yr own adventure" logo in the top left corner is blocking out some of the adventure text.

Or is it just me?

Cramulus

Yes, it's an issue. But we don't have FTP access, so there's not much we can do to fix it ATM. I saw Faust shoop up a new logo, but it doesn't look like it's been posted.

Calendula!

Oooh, shiny. We are very much amused.
로저: 석크 마이 띡크!! :D

Raphaella

From the talk page:
QuoteI see your point. Okay, but we're clearly not ready to start hauling people in. The Main Page needs work, the Guidelines need work, and we need to decide precisely how we are going to manage page numbering. Once everything is set for rapid expansion, we plug this bitch like a bathtub in a thunderstorm. -Verbatim 15:52, 11 July 2008 (UTC)

is this still in effect? I was wondering if we could start advertising yet? I don't want to bring a bunch of spammers, but I do want to drum up some attention, cause this thing is great... Just let me know what you guys think. I won't link to it if it's not ready yet.
The sun shall be turned to darkness and the moon into blood before the coming of the great and terrible OZ