CAN'T A BROTHER GET A LITTLE PEACE?

Main Menu

Get Miserable

Started by Q. G. Pennyworth, August 06, 2016, 05:34:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Q. G. Pennyworth

You there!
With your internet connection!
With your good health and dental insurance!
Don't you know that other people don't have access to those things?
Get rid of them!
You can't help the underprivileged
Until you abandon all the things that the world has given you
Get miserable!

You there!
With your disposable income!
With your Pokemon Go and your comic books!
Don't you know other people are suffering in the world?
Stop having fun this instant!
You can't address the ills in this world
Until you are as unhappy as the saddest human alive
Get miserable!

You there!
With your mediocre job!
With your heart and lungs intact!
Don't you know the cops are killing people?
Stop getting by!
You can't fight systemic oppression and injustice
Until you abandon all your life support systems
Get miserable!

Eater of Clowns

YES.

In any activism related discussion this always seems to come up. Hillary Clinton mentioned New Bedford in her DNC speech. After law school she addressed a problem where students with disabilities weren't accommodated by the school system, often staying home and not being educated. Immediately local forums lit up with things like "oh well she got paid for it so she was just doing her job," as if making a living somehow negates good work. These people would never be happy. Advocate for the homeless? Well what are you doing on facebook, you can do more if you sell your phone and donate the money! Get Miserable!
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

Q. G. Pennyworth

You there!
With your jewelry!
With your plate full of fresh vegetables!
Don't you know kids are starving in Africa?
Stop eating!
You can't call yourself an ally
Until you're homeless and starving on the streets
Get miserable!

Q. G. Pennyworth

Some relevant reading http://news.infoshop.org/opinion/things-anarchists-say

QuotePeople have no interest in actually changing things anymore. Talking about class and economics isn't fashionable, and in some cases it's downright dismissed and labelled as racist/sexist/homophobic/transphobic.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Q. G. Pennyworth on August 07, 2016, 02:52:52 AM
You there!
With your jewelry!
With your plate full of fresh vegetables!
Don't you know kids are starving in Africa?
Stop eating!
You can't call yourself an ally
Until you're homeless and starving on the streets
Get miserable!

:lulz:

Very much this.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Q. G. Pennyworth on August 07, 2016, 02:57:06 AM

QuotePeople have no interest in actually changing things anymore. Talking about class and economics isn't fashionable, and in some cases it's downright dismissed and labelled as racist/sexist/homophobic/transphobic.

"Call-outs have become a way to acceptably inflict social violence and rarely are followed up in any way resembling transformative justice because people are not interested in doing the hard work of working with those who are called out."

DING DING DING

" "The line, 'it's not my responsibility to educate you, educate yourself' is being used too frequently."

Also gets the bell.

But THIS is the champ:

""Calling people out for using the wrong language, for example saying 'biological female' instead of 'person assigned female at birth', is harmful and makes no sense because not everyone has access to the same information, they'll never learn if they're excluded, and the 'correct' languages changes every couple of years anyway. People don't want to be associated with us because they see how punishing we are to each other and it turns them off.""

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Q. G. Pennyworth

And it's not like any of those things come from bad places, or even are completely unnecessary, but they're creating more harm than good for the community the way things are happening now, because 2016 is the year of fart huffing for everyone everywhere.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Q. G. Pennyworth on August 08, 2016, 05:14:01 PM
And it's not like any of those things come from bad places, or even are completely unnecessary, but they're creating more harm than good for the community the way things are happening now, because 2016 is the year of fart huffing for everyone everywhere.

My dad pointed out way the hell back in the early 80s, that any movement that gets big enough to be visible to the common man instantly gets taken over by the whackjobs.

This isn't a new phenomenon.

Q. G. Pennyworth

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on August 08, 2016, 05:20:24 PM

My dad pointed out way the hell back in the early 80s, that any movement that gets big enough to be visible to the common man instantly gets taken over by the whackjobs.

You're not wrong about that. It seems like there's some ebb and flow to it, though, and this has been a spectacularly bad year. At least it has been for me. We all know I'm the protagonist anyway.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Q. G. Pennyworth on August 08, 2016, 05:22:24 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on August 08, 2016, 05:20:24 PM

You're not wrong about that. It seems like there's some ebb and flow to it, though, and this has been a spectacularly bad year. At least it has been for me. We all know I'm the protagonist anyway.

:lulz:

Yeah, I think this time around it's because social media allows the loudest ones to shout down everyone else.  And if you don't like it, you're a tool of the patriarchy.

Prelate Diogenes Shandor

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on August 08, 2016, 04:30:55 PM
Quote from: Q. G. Pennyworth on August 07, 2016, 02:57:06 AM

" "The line, 'it's not my responsibility to educate you, educate yourself' is being used too frequently."

Also gets the bell.

Also, it's worth noting that in addition to the reasons cited in the article for why this phrase should be used sparingly it is also the kind of line that, at least when I hear it, makes me assume that the other person cannot actually back their argument up.
Praise NHGH! For the tribulation of all sentient beings.

a plague on both your houses -Mercutio

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrTGgpWmdZQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVWd7nPjJH8

It is an unfortunate fact that every man who seeks to disseminate knowledge must contend not only against ignorance itself, but against false instruction as well. No sooner do we deem ourselves free from a particularly gross superstition, than we are confronted by some enemy to learning who would plunge us back into the darkness -H.P.Lovecraft

He who fights with monsters must take care lest he thereby become a monster -Nietzsche

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHhrZgojY1Q

You are a fluke of the universe, and whether you can hear it of not the universe is laughing behind your back -Deteriorata

Don't use the email address in my profile, I lost the password years ago