News:

Testimonial - Well it seems that most of you "discordians" are little more than dupes of the Cathedral/NWO memetic apparatus after all -- "freethinkers" in the sense that you are willing to think slightly outside the designated boxes of correct thought, but not free in the sense that you reject the existence of the boxes and seek their destruction.

Main Menu

A List of Human Universals

Started by Cain, November 22, 2010, 01:57:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Triple Zero

Found my old thread!

Universal People

(Just dug up the link, I haven't checked how much they correspond)
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Cain

Quote from: ELATIO on November 25, 2010, 09:00:57 AM
I wasn't saying that I don't find it interesting, but that I don't understand what its implications are.

To use your phrasing....so what?

I'm not here to think for you.  Figure it out for your damn self.

Epimetheus

Quote from: Subetai on November 25, 2010, 06:12:52 PM
To use your phrasing....so what?

I'm not here to think for you.  Figure it out for your damn self.

Okay. I'll post a list of things that are blue-colored, and then if you ask of what use it is, I'll tell you to figure it out yourself.
I mean, come on. You posted this list without explaining it at all. If you thought it had some use, why not say what that is?
POST-SINGULARITY POCKET ORGASM TOAD OF RIGHTEOUSNESS

Kai

Hey. You.

Yeah YOU.

Do you want to understand humans? And by humans, I mean those fleshbags walking around? Well, you can't expect to start from singular stereotypes then, Mister. The first Law of Biology: Variation exists.

You got to look for UNIVERSALS.

You see, members of the species Homo sapiens sapiens are derived from a lineage brought about by evolution under natural selection. And as such, they share common traits which are universal to all members. Knowledge of these traits can give one insight into the whole. Insight allows one to predict behavior. Predicting behavior gives one power.

Need I go on?

The cultural anthropologists who cry out for postmodernism are missing the GODDAMN point. Either their hiding the fact that they don't know what the hell they are talking about, or hiding that they DO know what they are talking about with ideas that pull the opposite direction. There are human universals, and they are the most important traits for understanding all of humanity.

Jesus christ, do I really need to spell this shit out?
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

Rumckle

It's not trolling, it's just satire.

Reginald Ret

Good ideas, all.
and thanks for the link Telarus.
Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

Requia ☣

Quote from: ϗ on November 25, 2010, 07:40:13 PM
Hey. You.

Yeah YOU.

Do you want to understand humans? And by humans, I mean those fleshbags walking around? Well, you can't expect to start from singular stereotypes then, Mister. The first Law of Biology: Variation exists.

You got to look for UNIVERSALS.

You see, members of the species Homo sapiens sapiens are derived from a lineage brought about by evolution under natural selection. And as such, they share common traits which are universal to all members. Knowledge of these traits can give one insight into the whole. Insight allows one to predict behavior. Predicting behavior gives one power.

Need I go on?

The cultural anthropologists who cry out for postmodernism are missing the GODDAMN point. Either their hiding the fact that they don't know what the hell they are talking about, or hiding that they DO know what they are talking about with ideas that pull the opposite direction. There are human universals, and they are the most important traits for understanding all of humanity.

Jesus christ, do I really need to spell this shit out?

You do realize this list is *from* anthropologists right?
Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.

Bu🤠ns

I don't think that they're crying out for postmodernism.

I like this list because each one gives a great opportunity for introspection...some of which could go on forever.  It's neat to find out where I stand in relation to others in the same place.  Plus it's a nice reminder that we're all not alone in all of this.

Xieante Antitheus

Quote from: Joh'Nyx on November 25, 2010, 11:40:17 AM
Shame is an interesting thing, its supposedly the internalized morality of your surrounding society (or father figure, depends)... it could also be a byproduct of repression/sublimation...

Someone without shame is either a complete narcicissistic dick... or an animal.

Interesting. I like to believe I don't feel shame, however, I think it is more that I refuse to acknowledge it on some strange level.

Seems to me like there is no point...
"Oopsie, I fucked up"...
Put on list of things not to do again.
Done.

So does this put me in the category of narcissist or animal???

I am not who you think I am
I am not who I think I am
I am who you think I think I am

Perception & Intent

SOLVE ET COAGULA

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Heh

I was in a meeting yesterday and we were talking about the usefulness of shame. Shame is only useful to us as a deterrent... it can never effectively be used as an incentive, yet various factions almost always forget that.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Jasper

I dunno about shame, but I get embarrassed constantly.

Salty

I would use this list as a means for developing patience. I think it's beneficial to view human universals as being just that before making a judgment on what an individual human does, recognize the behavior as a universal one. What is there to gain, to lose, etc.

I like it.
The world is a car and you're the crash test dummy.

Jasper

I sent this list to a friend, and he was not immediately able to see why it is interesting.

So I gave it a think.

If you were to compile the list of all the universals that have to do with human language, then figure out what selective pressures caused them to evolve, you might figure out how to write a genetic algorithm that developed language learning abilities.  Or at least have an idea where to start.

The Johnny

Quote from: Xieante Antitheus on November 28, 2010, 05:10:36 AM
Interesting. I like to believe I don't feel shame, however, I think it is more that I refuse to acknowledge it on some strange level.

Denying the existance of your shame doesnt magically make it go away. Im sure you could think of an example of shame in your interpersonal interaction, unless, you are a sociopath, and dont do certain things just out of fear of retribution, and not just because you have empathy for others.

Seems to me like there is no point...
"Oopsie, I fucked up"...
Put on list of things not to do again.
Done.

Shame can be pre-emptive, the "Oops, I fucked up" can be more related to guilt.

So does this put me in the category of narcissist or animal???

Maybe just in the category of oppositional-defiant.
<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner

Salty

There ought to be some Godwin-type law referring to the use of the word sociopath in an argument.

I find the neutrality or permeability of these things fascinating. They're something we all share at some point, but we can often label them as faults or shortcomings. They're all variable, adaptable, fluid. Yet there lies a firmness in which we all have access to them at any time we please. Or not.
The world is a car and you're the crash test dummy.