News:

Also, i dont think discordia attracts any more sociopaths than say, atheism or satanism.

Main Menu

Re: Open Bar: RECOMMENDABLE

Started by Nephew Twiddleton, December 31, 2013, 04:38:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Left

Quote from: THE PHYTOPHTHORATIC HOLDER OF THE ADVANCED DEGREE on January 29, 2014, 06:37:05 AM
I just now found that a very old friend whom I may have mentioned here or there (I know I have, at least once) is currently back in Boston. His Foster Mother is dying.

I don't know what to say to him.

Just show up, be prepared to listen...or just bullshit.  Either will help.
Hope was the thing with feathers.
I smacked it with a hammer until it was red and squashy

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Random anger problem on January 29, 2014, 07:25:35 AM
Quote from: THE PHYTOPHTHORATIC HOLDER OF THE ADVANCED DEGREE on January 29, 2014, 06:37:05 AM
I just now found that a very old friend whom I may have mentioned here or there (I know I have, at least once) is currently back in Boston. His Foster Mother is dying.

I don't know what to say to him.

Just show up, be prepared to listen...or just bullshit.  Either will help.

I know.

It's just that he was a very close friend, and well, then Georgia, and then Hawaii.

I may flat out tell him, dude, sorry, glad to see you again, wish it was under better circumstances.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Nephew Twiddleton

I did tell him that I would pray to his pre-Jesus god for her. And I did. I said the Shema and preemptive Kaddish.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Cain

I think it's safe to ignore the opinion of the guy Junkenstein posted - he clearly cannot even cook brussels sprouts right, so his culinary expertise can be safely discarded.

EK WAFFLR

Quote from: Nigel's Red Velveteen Skinmeat Snacks on January 29, 2014, 05:32:34 AM
Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on January 29, 2014, 04:08:49 AM
Fish sauce, et al is a condiment. From what I can tell, the Rotten Shark is a full dish.  Imagine, if you will, an entire patty made of Thai fermented shrimp paste, or a pint of Nam Pla.

There are quite a few fermented fish dishes, though. Rakfisk, surstromming, stinkheads, hakari, etc.

I have yet to try Surströmming and hakari, but Rakfisk is fucking delicious.
"At first I lifted weights.  But then I asked myself, 'why not people?'  Now everyone runs for the fjord when they see me."

Horribly Oscillating Assbasket of Deliciousness
[/b]

LMNO

Quote from: Nigel's Red Velveteen Skinmeat Snacks on January 29, 2014, 05:32:34 AM
Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on January 29, 2014, 04:08:49 AM
Fish sauce, et al is a condiment. From what I can tell, the Rotten Shark is a full dish.  Imagine, if you will, an entire patty made of Thai fermented shrimp paste, or a pint of Nam Pla.

There are quite a few fermented fish dishes, though. Rakfisk, surstromming, stinkheads, hakari, etc.
Quote from: Nigel's Red Velveteen Skinmeat Snacks on January 29, 2014, 06:10:41 AM
And of course, there are the mildly-fermented fish we love to eat, like anchovies.

Point goes to Nigel.  I conceed.  I do enjoy many kinds of rotten fish.

Quote from: Chelagoras The Boulder on January 29, 2014, 06:17:17 AM
i tried anchovy pizza once, they were super salty and i wanna say...hairy? are they supposed to be hairy?

Probably not hair, probably the bones.

The Good Reverend Roger

Around here, we call rotten fish "coyote food", and we all wince when you bestial lowlanders begin discussing your disgusting feeding habits.  This is precisely why we aren't accepting any more refugees, so you all just stay down on your ice sheet.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

tyrannosaurus vex

Who said growing up is all work and no fun? We put the minivexen to bed and then stayed up another 2 hours playing with their Legos. It turns out life does have small pleasures.
Evil and Unfeeling Arse-Flenser From The City of the Damned.

The Good Reverend Roger

Going to a meeting in 9 minutes.

It occurs to me that most memos translate out to "hey, I wrote a memo".

It also occurs to me that most meetings are actually based on "I had the juice to call a meeting and make all of you fuckers attend".

So now I have to make sure that nobody ever wants to invite me to one of these again.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Left

Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on January 29, 2014, 03:52:50 PM
Going to a meeting in 9 minutes.

It occurs to me that most memos translate out to "hey, I wrote a memo".

It also occurs to me that most meetings are actually based on "I had the juice to call a meeting and make all of you fuckers attend".

So now I have to make sure that nobody ever wants to invite me to one of these again.

I get the impression you work in a place that's rather like a nightmare version of a Dilbert cartoon.

QuoteI wrote The Dilbert Principle around the concept that in many cases the least competent, least smart people are promoted, simply because they're the ones you don't want doing actual work. You want them ordering the doughnuts and yelling at people for not doing their assignments—you know, the easy work. Your heart surgeons and your computer programmers—your smart people—aren't in management. That principle was literally happening everywhere.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dilbert_principle

LMNO

Combine that with the Peter principle, and you've got a hell of a workplace.

Quotepeople will tend to be promoted until they reach their "position of incompetence".

Left

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on January 29, 2014, 04:27:51 PM
Combine that with the Peter principle, and you've got a hell of a workplace.

Quotepeople will tend to be promoted until they reach their "position of incompetence".
The Peter Principle seems to explain my current manager amazingly well.  He's a nice guy, but a bloody horrible manager.

Cardinal Pizza Deliverance.

Work was cancelled today. My store hasn't had a single customer. The manager drove 40 minutes on shit roads during a state of emergency only to get pissed off. I told him it had snowed and that Georgians everywhere were huddled in their houses, saying prayers to their bright and shining Sun Lord, praying for the cessation of this foul white substance that chills the bones and turns cars into flying death traps. He didn't believe me.

He will learn.

Oh yes.

He will learn.
Weevil-Infested Badfun Wrongsex Referee From The 9th Earth
Slick and Deranged Wombat of Manhood Questioning
Hulking Dormouse of Lust and DESPAIR™
Gatling Geyser of Rainbow AIDS

"The only way we can ever change anything is to look in the mirror and find no enemy." - Akala  'Find No Enemy'.

The Good Reverend Roger

Well, that was a fun 2 hours.

Other Jerk:  "We're going to do such-and-such.  How much will that cost, Roger?"

Roger:  "$70,000, if you don't want any bells and whistles."

Mike:  "It would be a whole lot better if it would cost $48,000."

Roger:  "Life would be a whole lot better if my wants and needs were so casually accepted by the universe, too."

Mike:  "So, what, $55,000?"

Roger:  "Yes, but you don't get a roof and the machine isn't connected to any power."

Mike:  "But I need a roof and power."

Roger:  "Then it's $70,000."

Mike:  "I don't like your attitude.  You're being very unreasonable."

Roger:  "Watch as I completely fail to give a fuck."

Jim:  "Be nice."

Roger:  "I am being nice.  The universe - and this includes vendors and contractors - works in a particular way.  You don't get more out than you put in.  Period.  The end."

Mike:  "Well, let's just put $48,000 down.  We can change it later."

Roger:  "Do what you like.  I'm not signing off on this unless it says at least $70,000."

Mike:  "You're being obstructionist."

Roger:  "No, I'm not violating Sarbanes/Oxely by fucking about with capital expenditures.  You want to go to jail, you go right ahead."

Jim:  "Fuck it, I'm tabling this.  NEXT ITEM."

Mike:  "The PCK.  Roger, how much is the infrastructure going to cost?"

Roger:  "$65,000."

Mike:  "It would be a whole lot better if it would cost $42,000."

Rinse, repeat.  For 2 hours.

East Coast Hustle

I think your bosses run the restaurant I work at.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"