News:

MysticWicks endorsement: "Spoiled brats of the pagan world, I thought. I really don't have a lot of respect for Discordians. They just strike me as spiritually lazy."

Main Menu

TwitterGASM

Started by Iason Ouabache, April 02, 2009, 02:26:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr Goofy

meh I have 30 and I normally just post links to old show's opening song, like Bobby's world

Cramulus

Quote from: Enki-][ on June 06, 2009, 06:43:34 PM
Seems very odd. I have 287 followers and all I ever do is sent out nonsense.

:lulz:

This would be a great topic for a peedy/blog entry

especially considering our recent discussions about nonsense and all

Dr Goofy

Why no love for old tv show themes?

Triple Zero

ENKI do you follow back everybody that starts following you? often if you don't follow back your followers some will unfollow you.

because there's lots of "twitter marketers" and I dunno .. stuff .. might even be legit, but they just seem to trigger whenever you use certain words, and you get another follow. I mention "Python" and I get retweeted by some random Python-Bot with a lot of followers, really if the thing just retweets whoever mentions "Python", who'd want to read that?? (or even has the time to sort the crud from the crap)

anyway, my point is that if you output nonsense, you probably hit a pretty wide variety of keywords, and attract a wide variety of people that follow you.

Quote from: Cramulus on June 08, 2009, 06:07:27 AM
Quote from: Enki-][ on June 06, 2009, 06:43:34 PM
Seems very odd. I have 287 followers and all I ever do is sent out nonsense.

:lulz:

This would be a great topic for a peedy/blog entry

especially considering our recent discussions about nonsense and all
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Rococo Modem Basilisk

Quote from: Triple Zero on June 08, 2009, 01:36:45 PM
ENKI do you follow back everybody that starts following you? often if you don't follow back your followers some will unfollow you.
I follow anyone who seems like a human non-marketroid who might seem interesting who follows me, or a bot that doesn't appear to be a spammer. That means that perhaps one out of every sixteen people who follow me I follow back.

because there's lots of "twitter marketers" and I dunno .. stuff .. might even be legit, but they just seem to trigger whenever you use certain words, and you get another follow. I mention "Python" and I get retweeted by some random Python-Bot with a lot of followers, really if the thing just retweets whoever mentions "Python", who'd want to read that?? (or even has the time to sort the crud from the crap)

anyway, my point is that if you output nonsense, you probably hit a pretty wide variety of keywords, and attract a wide variety of people that follow you.
If they say "marketing" in their bio, that's a good tipoff that they are a meat/sock puppet spammer who will direct message you a bunch of stuff you don't care about. Same with any username that looks like a bunch of arbitrary characters paired with an exceedingly generic name. Others will be somewhat less obvious, but if somebody starts spamming me, I will unfriend them pretty quickly. That stat is probably nearly a month old, though -- I got it from mistertweet, which only updates once a month.

I am not "full of hate" as if I were some passive container. I am a generator of hate, and my rage is a renewable resource, like sunshine.

Triple Zero

Quote from: Broken AI on June 09, 2009, 07:59:50 AM
well, i finally signed up to twitter, as keithrolly.

I plan to "tweet" every single damn dull thing I do for the next month or so, using my kindle to send said tweets from all over the damn show. mundane? yes. pointless? yes.

BUT ITS WHAT EVERYONE ELSE IS DOING!!!!

AM I FOLLOWING YOU YET?

I FORGTO WHAT IS YOUR USERNAME
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Broken AI on June 09, 2009, 07:59:50 AM
well, i finally signed up to twitter, as keithrolly.

I plan to "tweet" every single damn dull thing I do for the next month or so, using my kindle to send said tweets from all over the damn show. mundane? yes. pointless? yes.

BUT ITS WHAT EVERYONE ELSE IS DOING!!!!

I unfollow people who constantly tweet boring pointless shit. Or complain constantly. Some people seem to think Twitter is the perfect venue for constantly bitching about their boyfriend or ex or neighbor or housemate or whatever.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

the last yatto

Look, asshole:  Your 'incomprehensible' act, your word-salad, your pinealism...It BORES ME.  I've been incomprehensible for so long, I TEACH IT TO MBA CANDIDATES.  So if you simply MUST talk about your pineal gland or happy children dancing in the wildflowers, go talk to Roger, because he digs that kind of shit

Iason Ouabache

WTF is that supposed to be? Are we just supposed to sit here and guess?
You cannot fathom the immensity of the fuck i do not give.
    \
┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘

Chairman Risus

Quote from: Iason Ouabache on June 16, 2009, 01:23:09 AM
WTF is that supposed to be? Are we just supposed to sit here and guess?

Ever since he stole stickerninja's avatar, I've just assumed if yatto doesn't make sense, he's actually crazy.

the last yatto

its being able to see your own strings
Look, asshole:  Your 'incomprehensible' act, your word-salad, your pinealism...It BORES ME.  I've been incomprehensible for so long, I TEACH IT TO MBA CANDIDATES.  So if you simply MUST talk about your pineal gland or happy children dancing in the wildflowers, go talk to Roger, because he digs that kind of shit

Rococo Modem Basilisk

Quote from: yatto on June 15, 2009, 11:37:20 PM

:fap:

I see a boob in your twitter network.

Or maybe an eye.

Either way, offset concentric circles are good for wanking.

I am not "full of hate" as if I were some passive container. I am a generator of hate, and my rage is a renewable resource, like sunshine.

Triple Zero

a question, since a few weeks twitter auto-shortens some longer URLs with bit.ly, does anyone know a trick to prevent this from happening?

cause sometimes i want to include the full URL so people become aware of a domain, or simply because the URL is descriptive enough and would allow one to fit more into the 140 char limit than having to sacrifice 12-20 chars to an obtuse bit.ly code.

i know it has something to do with twitter and bit.ly having the same mother company (or some similar connection) and naturally it is datamining GOLD to obtain all information about all the URLs shared through Twitter.

In case you didn't know, bit.ly also logs the twitter user to share a link, the twitter user clicking on it and discussions in which it is retweeted.

Fortunately we can all access this wonderful information as well! And it is as easy as appending a "+" to the bit.ly URL, example:

http://000.blackironprison.com/holy-fuck-stickers.html >> http://bit.ly/zjX6k >> http://bit.ly/zjX6k+

the last link doesnt take us to the stickers webpage, but to an info webpage on bit.ly, showing the link has been clicking 55 times, 31 times from the US, 8 times from the Netherlands and 8 from outer space.

it also got a nice bar graph showing activity over time.

very useful to track success of your memes. so, all in all, having bit.ly autoconversion on twitter isnt all bad, it's just kinda bad :-)

Verbal Mike

Another random idea: the hypothetical memebot could, once every five memes, select a random trending hashtag and append it to the tweet. This will get a random subsection of the tweeted memes a totally disproportionate amount of attention. This depends, of course, on the memebomb tool being something we actually want the world to see.

BTW, Trip, thanks for the info on bit.ly, it's really useful that you can track your links that way!
Unless stated otherwise, feel free to copy or reproduce any text I post anywhere and any way you like. I will never throw a hissy-fit over it, promise.

Triple Zero

hm actually, I got this little piece of code lying around here, for calculating something called the "Generalized Yahoo Distance", which could be used to correlate words from the memebomb with some of the trending topics, to see which it would fit best (according to a bunch of stats gathered from Yahoo!Search result pages).

however, about trending hashtags, the fact that they are trending just means that a lot of people post tweets with those hashtags in them. that doesnt mean a lot of people are following/searching for those tags, afaik. they probably are already spammed to death by the fact they are top-trending, personally I would be quite reluctant to follow a hashtag that is trending cause of all the noise on it?

unfortunately you can't really find out anywhere which tags people are following, afaik.