News:

PD.com: Trimming your hair in accordance with the anarchoprimitivist lifestyle

Main Menu

CAINAD, HELP ME

Started by Mesozoic Mister Nigel, June 09, 2014, 02:39:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

WHAT THE FUCK IS GOING ON IN THIS QUIZ QUESTION?

This seems like too many categories.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Pæs

A AND B ARE GENERAL CATEGORIES. INTRUSIVE, EXTRUSIVE, PLUTONIC AND VOLCANIC ARE SUBCATEGORIES.

IT'S BRILLIANT. IF THE ANSWER WAS (A) HOW WOULD YOU CHOOSE BETWEEN THAT AND (D)?

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Yeah, I eventually worked out that extrusive/volcanic is one general category, and intrusive/plutonic is the other category, but the question itself still leaves me going  :eek:.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

There are enough typos in the quizzes (and hilarities such as repeating the same question with the answers in different orders) that I'm pretty sure he writes these drunk.

Junkenstein

I'm somewhat disappointed that there's not further options for "Not (a)" "Not (b)" and so on.

Feels lazy.
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

The Johnny

Another factor in the bizarreness is that maybe its a requisite to have 4 options for all questions?
<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner

Cainad (dec.)

Those are, in fact, both technically correct categories. It is a little weird, more like a vocabulary test than a geological question.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

The thing that threw me is that "intrusive and extrusive" are TWO categories, as are "plutonic and volcanic". The fact that the answers are not labeled "a. b. c. d." was a minor quibble.

I did eventually work out that intrusive and plutonic are the same category, as are extrusive and volcanic, but I'm fairly certain he was drunk when he wrote the quiz.  :lol:

This quiz was actually from several weeks ago, I had forgotten about it until I was going through old quizzes to make notes for the final.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

They can be categorized into two general categories; is it these two categories or these two categories? TRICK QUESTION! It's all four!

Cainad (dec.)

:lulz: Geologists are not reknowned for their eloquence, or coherence. No one's ever seen the Geologist equivalent of Neil DeGrasse Tyson or Stephen Jay Gould for a reason.

That reason is a combination of drink and time spent gently petting and cooing over rocks, rather than talking to people about rocks.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Cainad (dec.) on June 09, 2014, 07:17:27 PM
:lulz: Geologists are not reknowned for their eloquence, or coherence. No one's ever seen the Geologist equivalent of Neil DeGrasse Tyson or Stephen Jay Gould for a reason.

That reason is a combination of drink and time spent gently petting and cooing over rocks, rather than talking to people about rocks.

That's because Tyson is ranting about the universe and black holes and shit.

The geologist is saying "this here is a rock."
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

:lulz: I kind of gathered that, from every single geology guest speaker we've had all term. The best part is that the department walls are lined with these glamorous field photos that make them all look, well, hot.

They're not. Although sometimes I do try to imagine them having sex, because that seems like a wagon train of AWKWARD. Bless them.

Cainad (dec.)

Quote from: The Right Reverend Nigel on June 09, 2014, 09:59:16 PM

:lulz: I kind of gathered that, from every single geology guest speaker we've had all term. The best part is that the department walls are lined with these glamorous field photos that make them all look, well, hot.

They're not. Although sometimes I do try to imagine them having sex, because that seems like a wagon train of AWKWARD. Bless them.

There was a married couple of geology professors at my school who usually had their lunch in the building's lounge. Their conversations were EXACTLY as nerdy as you could possibly imagine. They literally did not stop talking about rocks, except maybe to discuss banal details about the kids once in a while.

Remember that one time I bought one of your "geode" beads to give as a gift? Totally got laid. Some time later, she gifted me a shiny rock. It's absurd.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on June 09, 2014, 07:29:33 PM

We are the typecast actors in the drama of life. Geologists adhere to their stereotypes like white on rice.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Cainad (dec.) on June 10, 2014, 09:26:09 PM
Quote from: The Right Reverend Nigel on June 09, 2014, 09:59:16 PM

There was a married couple of geology professors at my school who usually had their lunch in the building's lounge. Their conversations were EXACTLY as nerdy as you could possibly imagine. They literally did not stop talking about rocks, except maybe to discuss banal details about the kids once in a while.

Remember that one time I bought one of your "geode" beads to give as a gift? Totally got laid. Some time later, she gifted me a shiny rock. It's absurd.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on June 09, 2014, 07:29:33 PM

We are the typecast actors in the drama of life. Geologists adhere to their stereotypes like white on rice.

:lulz:

Cainad (dec.)

You'll probably never get to Mineralogy, since that's where the actual Geo majors go and the class spots are probably reserved for them. But like most sciences, that's where the really fascinating stuff comes in, in my opinion. Imagine chemistry with like 1% of the emphasis on aqueous solutions, and 113% more emphasis on geometry and pretty colors.