News:

Endorsement:  I am not convinced you even understand my concepts of moral relativity, so perhaps it would be best for you not to approach them.

Main Menu

Have You Heard About Fukushima?

Started by Comedentis of the Fructum, May 12, 2012, 10:08:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Comedentis of the Fructum

Right now, as I write this and you read it, we are being showered with harmful amounts of radiation from Japan. Some experts even say we may face a mass extinction event of human, and other land/air animal organisms. I for one am quite scared of the idea, and am thinking of bulging a giant lead castle to save myself and my cats.
http://fukushima.greenaction-japan.org/
"I don't see how to take death seriously. I look forward without dogmatic optimism, but without dread. I love you all and I deeply implore you to keep the lasagna flying." - Robert Anton Wilson

Cain

If you'd done an elementary scan of this page, you'd see we'd actually discussed Fukushima quite recently.

You'd also probably find that people outside of Japan are not being showered with harmful amounts of radiation and that humanity is facing a "mass-extinction event", though Honshu certainly could be.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

East Coast Hustle

I'm guessing it's just garden-variety DERP.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Echo Chamber Music on May 13, 2012, 04:19:55 AM
I'm guessing it's just garden-variety DERP.

This seems highly likely.

Sigh.

I kind of want to respond with "NO, I'VE NEVER HEARD OF FUKUSHIMA BECAUSE I TOTALLY LIVE UNDER A ROCK, AND IN FACT THIS WHOLE BOARD IS JUST A SUPPORT GROUP FOR ISOLATED SHUT-INS WHO HAVE NO ACCESS TO INFORMATION ABOUT SIGNIFICANT WORLD EVENTS WHATSOEVER".
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Placid Dingo

Quote from: Cain on May 12, 2012, 01:37:28 PM
If you'd done an elementary scan of this page, you'd see we'd actually discussed Fukushima quite recently.

You'd also probably find that people outside of Japan are not being showered with harmful amounts of radiation and that humanity is facing a "mass-extinction event", though Honshu certainly could be.

I know I'm a few months late, but are you referring to 'if another earthquake hits' here? Or worse?
Haven't paid rent since 2014 with ONE WEIRD TRICK.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Comedentis of the Fructum on May 12, 2012, 10:08:40 AM
Some experts even say we may face a mass extinction event of human, and other land/air animal organisms.

It's about fucking time.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: PROFOUNDLY RETARDED CHARLIE MANSON on May 12, 2012, 05:36:23 PM
What is  this, spam?

Considering it's his only post, and it's been a month, I'd say "yes".  He sounds like a one-cause freak, and since he didn't get a choris of Ain't It Awfuls, he left.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

The Wizard Joseph

I'm not certain of the impact of Fukushima.  I know that it will be horrible.  It may be the worst accident in the history of Science IMHO.  I don't know why this apparent troll decided to post, but I'm sure that the consequences of Fukushima will be long-term and game changing.  There was mention of a previous discussion here on he forum.  Please tell me where so I can read it. 

You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."
- Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality :lulz:

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

"It's not even chaos anymore. It's BANAL."
- Doktor Hamish Howl

The Wizard Joseph

You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

- Doktor Hamish Howl

East Coast Hustle

Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Elder Iptuous

i thought i read that the reactor 4 cooling pool failing would cause a disaster that overshadows Chernobyl...

minuspace

Quote from: Elder Iptuous on June 21, 2012, 08:35:58 PM
i thought i read that the reactor 4 cooling pool failing would cause a disaster that overshadows Chernobyl...
That (F4) was the one with the MOX, right?

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: Echo Chamber Music on June 21, 2012, 08:23:40 PM
Quote from: The Wizard Joseph on June 21, 2012, 06:08:24 PMIt may be the worst accident in the history of Science IMHO.

I think all of Russia and most of Eastern Europe would probably disagree with you.

Chernobyl was different in terms of scope and consequence.
They've had 26 years to total up the damage.

Here's the WIKI on Fukushima for comparison.

They are both "Level 7" events, but let's take a look at the figures.

Chernobyl had 1 reactor breach.
Fukushima has 3 full meltdowns in progress and a fuel pool at #4 that is in danger of exposure and subsequent unquenchable fire as well.

Both have resulted in explosions on-site and horribly toxic plumes of radioactive waste.

The Japanese don't have half a million Soviet heroes to throw at the problem.  The cores at fukushima are so hot thermally and radiologically that robots have failed to operate.

Chernobyl was built far inland in an area where digging under the reactor was feasible as a step in the containment process.
Fukushima is on a coastline in a geologically unstable island chain.

The events are still on-going, but I suspect that the bad news @ Fukushima is still building. 

I'm not an expert. Even the things I think I know are only useful to me as a result.  I have no place trying to convince people that I have the facts.

Check out Fairewinds.com if you really want expert input. 

- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

- Doktor Hamish Howl