News:

Heaven is a sausage party.

Main Menu

Photo Art Fart

Started by Mother John Frumm, October 22, 2007, 12:50:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LMNO

Quote from: Julie on October 27, 2007, 03:39:35 AM
  There's only one local Discordian I'd allow to shit directly into my anything, and there'd have to be some pretty special circumstances for that.

Space Docking, ITT.

Darth Cupcake

Quote from: Pope Naughty Nasturtiums on October 27, 2007, 07:03:13 PM
Anyway, I recall stumbling across a site with lots of photographs like these a while back.
I forget the photographer's name, but he took many photos of abandoned psychiatric words and steel mills and fiber factories and the like. They were very beautiful and unsettling at the same time.
Bricks were indeed shat. 

www.oboylephoto.com I believe. I have a print of one of his photos that is amazingly beautiful. I love his work; he's the closest I have to a role model.

Mother John -- Very nice! I recently picked up a D40x for myself, though I have yet to get any extra lenses or filters. I'm hoping Christmas will come through on that. Do you use anything special for the flash? I've had really big problems with getting the lighting just-so. I always get blurry pictures without flash, but with flash everything comes in washed out. Admittedly, I'm still very, VERY newb to photography--I don't do a whole lot of messing around with shutter speed, exposure, etc yet--is that how you're getting your lighting? Because you have such great lighting in all the pictures, but it's still crisp and blur-free.
Be the trouble you want to see in the world.

Cramulus

any New Yorker who lives outside of NYC says that their town is the border between proper New York and Upstate New York.

"Anywhere north of me is considered upstate."

I used to live in Albany and everyone there thought they were "on the border of upstate".

Also if you live in the relatively crappy part of new york (the large crappy Western region), you are considered "upstate" no matter how far south you live. That is because NYC-ers use "upstate" to mean "barren wasteland of suck".

Mother John Frumm--

I want to re-state that I really enjoy your photography. Those have a really strange quality to them - a sort of fallen grandeur. They look like they were once really elegant places that have decayed. It's a weird, confused beauty on the border between nostalgia and discovery. Thanks!

Cain

Also, urban exploration is pretty cool.  Being a small country, we tend to reuse as much space as possible, meaning only castles etc are open for medieval exploration.  Which is also cool, but not really the same.

Mother John Frumm

Quote from: Darth Cupcake on October 29, 2007, 03:10:43 PM

www.oboylephoto.com I believe. I have a print of one of his photos that is amazingly beautiful. I love his work; he's the closest I have to a role model.

Mother John -- Very nice! I recently picked up a D40x for myself, though I have yet to get any extra lenses or filters. I'm hoping Christmas will come through on that. Do you use anything special for the flash? I've had really big problems with getting the lighting just-so. I always get blurry pictures without flash, but with flash everything comes in washed out. Admittedly, I'm still very, VERY newb to photography--I don't do a whole lot of messing around with shutter speed, exposure, etc yet--is that how you're getting your lighting? Because you have such great lighting in all the pictures, but it's still crisp and blur-free.
I've studied photography ever since I was 14, so I know waaaay too much about photography and I work at a camera store so I have had plenty of time to fool around with cameras. Most of the time I don't really use a flash because I prefer natural lighting, however when I do use the flash I put it on manual to make it so it isn't too bright. I like to mess around with the shutter and exp, you can get interesting results. I also use the tripod whenever possible along with my remote. I've got a good amount of gear, some different lenses, and I use Photoshop, however I try to keep with the fundamentals. No amount of gear or photoshoping can replace a well shot, composed picture.

Quote from: Professor Cramulus on October 29, 2007, 04:27:47 PM
any New Yorker who lives outside of NYC says that their town is the border between proper New York and Upstate New York.

I used to live in Albany and everyone there thought they were "on the border of upstate".

Also if you live in the relatively crappy part of new york (the large crappy Western region), you are considered "upstate" no matter how far south you live. That is because NYC-ers use "upstate" to mean "barren wasteland of suck".

Mother John Frumm--

I want to re-state that I really enjoy your photography. Those have a really strange quality to them - a sort of fallen grandeur. They look like they were once really elegant places that have decayed. It's a weird, confused beauty on the border between nostalgia and discovery. Thanks!

Quote from: Cain on October 29, 2007, 04:42:31 PM
Also, urban exploration is pretty cool.  Being a small country, we tend to reuse as much space as possible, meaning only castles etc are open for medieval exploration.  Which is also cool, but not really the same.

The area where I live used to be a strong industrial town, IBM was actually started here. There was lots of industrial factories that shut down in the '80's and '90's so as a city its gone into an economic slump since then. So many empty factories and abandoned houses just stay that way here, around here you can find two or three houses that are empty on almost every block.
I like exploring these places, its like archeology, I find remainders of things that are just discarded. Clothes, shoes, children's toys, all things that had value to somebody at one point now they are just garbage. I take pictures of them to remind myself how temporary our society is, and how in ten or twenty years things will be so very different. 
"He took a duck in the face at two hundred and fifty knots"

"...I also move for GPS drone fighting forces to guard McVeighs grave in case he re-rises like the messiah and plays games with me like Patrick Swaze did to Demi Moore in Ghost..."

Riches v. McVeigh et al  http://news.justia.com/cases/jonathan-lee-riches/

That One Guy

Quote from: Professor Cramulus on October 29, 2007, 04:27:47 PM

As someone that grew up in Albany, I always called anything north of Westchester county "Upstate NY" because, well, that's the ACTUAL border between NYC and the rest of the state. Never mind that the rest of the state volume-wise is FAR bigger than NYC+Long Island (which is really just an extension of the city) or that there are lots of people up there, some of which actually ALSO live in cities rather than the country shacks we're expected to be living in by 90% of the rest of the US.

Oh well. Nothing like having to tell everyone "I'm from New York STATE" "OH! You're from NYC?" "No, I'm from Upstate NY" to really drive the point home. If you have to say that to someone from outside of New England, you're an Upstater, no matter where you actually are in relation to anything.

Also, these pictures are really cool. More please  :mrgreen:
People of the United States! We are Unitarian Jihad! We can strike without warning. Pockets of reasonableness and harmony will appear as if from nowhere! Nice people will run the government again! There will be coffee and cookies in the Gandhi Room after the revolution.

Arguing with a Unitarian Universalist is like mud wrestling a pig. Pretty soon you realize the pig likes it.

Mother John Frumm

Some of these I took with my new lens, it's called a Lensbaby. It give a selective focus.

"...I also move for GPS drone fighting forces to guard McVeighs grave in case he re-rises like the messiah and plays games with me like Patrick Swaze did to Demi Moore in Ghost..."

Darth Cupcake

Quote from: Mother John Frumm on October 29, 2007, 05:18:57 PM
No amount of gear or photoshoping can replace a well shot, composed picture.

A-fucking-men.

I am trying to learn how to really USE my camera, beyond just the basics. There's a way to manually adjust flash?! This I must learn! I hate using flash because it seems to drain all the richness of colors, but sometimes it becomes necessary because otherwise I just get pictures too blurry... I do need a tripod, for sure. But I definitely also just need to learn more about what I can do with it. I've been considering taking a quick class, just to give me the fundamentals, and then from there I can mess around and experiment on my own.

You've definitely go something good going. You've got really amazing colors and depths and clarity in your pictures; I really admire them!

Triple Zero

i decided i don't like the selective focus very much :) they look too blurry, except the last one, which looks crisp as fuck.

and D-Cup, there's loads of simple DIY tripod sites out there, i happened to stumble across this one a few weeks ago (i don't do much with photography* but i happened to remember this one, passed it to TTM i think)
made out of a piece of rope: http://www.instructables.com/id/String-Tripod/
and made out of stiff electrical wire: http://www.diyphotography.net/diy_the_spiderpod_a_modification_of_the_wire_tripod (which you an bend and clip to anything)

* except for taking photographs of food to make people halfway across the globe drool on their keyboards. but you seen the quality of those pics .. most were from my mobile phone :-)
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Darth Cupcake

Ooh, that looks pretty snazzy, Trip0. Thanks!

Sepia

Some damn cool photos here mister sir. I'm a sucker for abandoned places and please sir, can I have some more?
Everyone will always be too late

Mother John Frumm

Shibboleet The Annihilator

What did you shoot these with?

Mother John Frumm

Nikon D50 28 to 80mm lens mostly

Sir Squid Diddimus